PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady & Mankins agree to be plaintiffs/update: lawsuit filed

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a potentially fateful quirk of fate, the Ravens Insider on twitter is reporting that the case has been assigned to a judge not named Doty... That could be interesting.

Re: Brady & Mankins agreed to be plaintiffs

I have always been a loyalty guy. And Brady has been treated very well by the Patriots. I understand the pressure Brady must feel from the union, but this is like stabbing the Patriots in the back.

Sorry, allowing himself to be used after the Patriots made him the highest paid player in the league seems a little ungrateful to me. I know that he wouldn't be making as much money without the union, but he would probably be teaching Jr High School without the Patriots.

Really? Maybe he would be leading another team to the playoffs.

Really? Maybe he would be leading another team to the playoffs.

Not that he lacks the talent to, but that opportunity isn't all that likely to have presented itself. 6th round QB's seldom get a remotely reasonable shot at developing for lots of reasons including some that have little or nothing to do with their potential ability...

I feel bad for Tom because he was truly placed between a rock and a hard place on this one...while I have the feeling had it been truly his decision a reasonable deal would have been worked out that was fair to the players and the owners, as has always been the case between he and his team.

i still feel, Mike Vrabel , who is a plantiff in the case also, was traded because of this and his union stance... he came out when Patriot place was being built and said some things about how the owners are not hurting... I think there will be some black ball going on by some owners, not to brady, but mankins could be...

i still feel, Mike Vrabel , who is a plantiff in the case also, was traded because of this and his union stance... he came out when Patriot place was being built and said some things about how the owners are not hurting... I think there will be some black ball going on by some owners, not to brady, but mankins could be...

I think that one of the primary reasons Brady and Manning and Brees were asked to put their names on the dotted line was because they were insultated from retaliation based on their value. That said, what Vrabel contended was BS, he wanted individual team owners to share revenue from non football investments like real estate development surrounding stadiums to which players do not contribute or share risk of loss in. Kraft may use some of his profit (which he is entitled to earn for all his efforts) as well as his cache as a team owner for such investments, but that is likely a drop in the bucket compared to the overall investment he makes in private funds and borrowed money on which he pays the debt service. That would be akin to owners demanding a % of a players non football earnings (like endorsements) because the player was only able to land those deals because of the elevated profile he acquired as an NFL football player.

That Borges/Felger conspiracy theory never held up to me. He wasn't singled out in any way. He was 1 or 3 old veteran LBs that were not brought back that offseason. The team was trying to get younger at that spot. Vrabel was shipped out when he was because he had a large bonus due they weren't going to pay. It was trade him or cut him so they traded him. They didn't resign Seau that off-season, although they would bring him back during the year when injuries and performance at LB made it necessary. Bruschi was going to be cut in camp and retired.

Let me let you in on a little secret; you will NEVER become a millionaire. I will NEVER become a millionaire. Your family and neighbors will NEVER become a millionaire. It doesn't matter how hard you work, or how much you want it. You, Joe Smo on Patsfans.com will NEVER EVER EVER EVER become rich. So many people think they will but guess what? It's called the top 0.1% bracket for a reason. Your attitude of wanting to screw over unions and hard workers and support the super rich because you think you will soon be counted among them is what is killing this country. You will continue to vote against your self interest, continue to vote for less rights, and be a pawn of the super rich until the day you die.

Maybe you are right, maybe I am right. But I do know that I have a better chance of becoming a millionaire that you believe. It is people like you, with your attitudes that make me support the owners. They worked for their money, they invested their money and for all of their effots the courts allow them to be extorted by a union because of an antiquated idea that they are being taken advantage of.

I hope that the owners crush the union, and the players get use to asking "Would you like a car wash with that fill up".

Let me let you in on a little secret; you will NEVER become a millionaire. I will NEVER become a millionaire. Your family and neighbors will NEVER become a millionaire. It doesn't matter how hard you work, or how much you want it. You, Joe Smo on Patsfans.com will NEVER EVER EVER EVER become rich. So many people think they will but guess what? It's called the top 0.1% bracket for a reason. Your attitude of wanting to screw over unions and hard workers and support the super rich because you think you will soon be counted among them is what is killing this country. You will continue to vote against your self interest, continue to vote for less rights, and be a pawn of the super rich until the day you die.

Perhaps your interpetation of the term "millionaire" is off. Isn't a "millioniaire" someone who's assets-debt > $1,000,000? If you do understand that definition, then the problem is more serious. In this country, if you work hard and plan well, you have a legitimate shot at becoming a "millionaire" before you retire. I grew just above the poverty line, but if everything goes close to plan, I will be a "millionaire" years before I retire. I know that grew up in the same crappy neighborhood that will probably do the same.

Can't is the cancer of happen.

I hope that the owners crush the union, and the players get use to asking "Would you like a car wash with that fill up".

When this happens let us all know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by VectorPrime

I bet there are more milliomnires on this board than you realize.

Last edited:

Vrabel's point was an interesting one, because it was basically using the idea of licensing fees against the team owners. Had he been sent away and not picked up by another BB tree team, I'd be more inclined to see a dastardly conspiracy. Since he was traded to K.C., and has been kept on there, I look at it more benignly.

If anybody is interested, here is a link to a PDF of the Brady v NFL lawsuit. It's lengthy - 52 pages - but skimming through it I did see some interesting wording and accusations.

NFLPA / Brady v NFL pdf

Last edited:
If anybody is interested, here is a link to a PDF of the Brady v NFL lawsuit. It's lengthy - 52 pages - but skimming through it I did see some interesting wording and accusations.

NFLPA / Brady v NFL pdf

Wish Brady wasn't the headline player suing Bob Kraft and the NFL. When you are the highest paid player in the history of the NFL at any position, suing for more money doesn't help your image. Losing three straight playoff games, as BB says, is what it is, and the Mr. Gisele lady headband thing is little more than a meaningless sideshow. But Brady being the headline player suing the owners is something we could do without.

Maybe you are right, maybe I am right. But I do know that I have a better chance of becoming a millionaire that you believe. It is people like you, with your attitudes that make me support the owners. They worked for their money, they invested their money and for all of their effots the courts allow them to be extorted by a union because of an antiquated idea that they are being taken advantage of.

Really?

How hard did Mike Brown work for his money?

How hard did the Rooney kids work for their money?

Blaming players who want to work for being locked out of their jobs is stupid.

I guess that explains your position, and the owners are definitely trying to do just that. The owners killed football, not the players.

After reviewing the PDF, I must say that it is hard to see how the owners win this one. Salary cap, rookie salary cap, franchise tag, transition tag, and the draft do all seem anticompetitive and restrictive of players' rights.

After reviewing the PDF, I must say that it is hard to see how the owners win this one. Salary cap, rookie salary cap, franchise tag, transition tag, and the draft do all seem anticompetitive and restrictive of players' rights.

Pretty much how i see it. The owners need the union to sanction a structure that allows for their anti-trust exemption, once it's an actual open market all of these practices are illegal. From what i could tell the other day Florio was claiming the owners cannot even meet or discuss labor issues without risking being in violation of the Sherman Act.

Wish Brady wasn't the headline player suing Bob Kraft and the NFL. When you are the highest paid player in the history of the NFL at any position, suing for more money doesn't help your image. Losing three straight playoff games, as BB says, is what it is, and the Mr. Gisele lady headband thing is little more than a meaningless sideshow. But Brady being the headline player suing the owners is something we could do without.

May I suggest "Bundchen vs. NFL" then?

I guess that is why they locked out...

Of course if a court at the behest of their employees forces them to unlock absent a CBA...

This isn't the slam dunk anti trust case many want to assume it is.

And it might be a case of be careful what you ask for. The owners could always scrap revenue sharing and and the cap (including the floor) and the tags and the draft. Somehow I don't think that would work out any better for the players than the great uncapped year did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back