Brady=Joey Harrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071120&sportCat=nfl

this is quite funny

The Flying Elvii are doing everything to near-perfection, but TMQ continues to think too much credit is going to Brady and his flashy receivers, not enough to the offensive line and defensive front seven. On the night, Brady was never sacked, was hit only once and hurried only once; otherwise, he stood in the pocket as though he was posing for a magazine cover, no rusher even near him. Put Joey Harrington behind New England's great offensive line, and he'd be a star.

Joey Harrington has never got good protection. It's a stretch saying he'd be Tom Brady but he could be a very good QB in such circumstances.

Joey Harrington has never got good protection. It's a stretch saying he'd be Tom Brady but he could be a very good QB in such circumstances.

a lot of it is the QB himself. if the QB makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball then he doesnt get sacked or hurried. Brady does have a lot time but even in the past our oline has played quite well. its now that we are averaging 41pts per game people are realizing NE has an oline.

a lot of it is the QB himself. if the QB makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball then he doesnt get sacked or hurried. Brady does have a lot time but even in the past our oline has played quite well. its now that we are averaging 41pts per game people are realizing NE has an oline.

When Harrington played in Miami he got rid of the ball very quickly which resulted in a lot of poor decisions. Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just saying Harrington has never had a fair shake.

Houston with David Carr = worst O-line in football!

Houston with Matt Schaub = we don't hear about them!

Tom uses the pocket like nobody I've ever seen since Marino. I doubt that Harrington could do that.

I know Jon Kitna can't. I watched the guy abuse the pocket the other day and just shook my head, "Tom would have stepped up one or two steps and had plenty of time." Instead Kitna sort of waltzed right into the rush. Dumb.

Most plays behind this line may not require such footwork but when it's required, I doubt that Joey Harrington would feel his way around that pocket like Tom or Marino. And there is the sack, or the hurry and the pick, and there goes the drive, the momentum, and the other guys get their offense on the field again.

I agree, I like Harrington and hope he gets another shot in a good system. Did you see Miami's OL last year? (even you have to agree with that fact Aqua...)

He didn't say they were the same.

He's making a point. Kind of dumb because although Brady gets time, if he didn't he still wouldn't be sacked, as he'd get rid of the ball to a receiver on a short route.

Plus they don't blitz him as much because they know that he can dodge one or two and then hit someone deep.

So he kind of makes his own time. He misses that.

Yes, many QBs would be good behind Brady's line this year. Another relevant fact is that Brady has been good his entire career, even when his offensive line wasn't very good.

harrington behind pats oline = decent
brady behind pats oline = out of this world

what separates brady from harrington more than anything else... 2 things:
1. pocket presence
2. football IQ

and the first thing that brady says in his post-game press conferences is that he gives credit to his offensive line. If "someone" is giving too much credit to Brady and his receivers, it's certainly not Brady

I think the OL is the best the team has ever had ... even Brady himself knows this much. However, great running teams have had great lines also and the QB still could S#ck ... Brady is the best QB of all time and when he is done his stats will prove that.

Brady has like a sixth sense when he's the in the pocket. His awareness in the pocket is pretty damn amazing compared to other QB's. When the pocket begins to collapse, he just knows and he'll either get rid of the ball or scramble out of it. He knows when there's a rush coming from behind him or from the sides, but he'll get taken down to the grass occasionally.

Last edited:
When Harrington played in Miami he got rid of the ball very quickly which resulted in a lot of poor decisions. Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just saying Harrington has never had a fair shake.

Last year in Miami, the Phins had a sackfest dance over and over again on Brady's head.

This is the same EXACT offensive line.

Harrington's positively awful. It's one thing to put up a lot of mediocre performances on a mediocre team, but Harrington was another level of atrocious in Detroit. He would put up stats in New England but that wouldn't mean he's a star or anything, it would mean that he's being carried by the rest of the offense, and he'd be hurting the offense with his presence. The media might say he's turned a corner and he might get to the Pro Bowl but ultimately I think they'd say the same thing if Cassel came in.

Hypothetically, if Harrington came in and put up 3800 yards passing with 30 TD passes to 15 Interceptions than he'd have everyone and their mother voting him in the Pro Bowl, even though he'd be putting up 1200 yards less passing, 20 less touchdowns and 9 more interceptions (and I don't think Harrington would put up those numbers). If you can be that much better than the replacement QB than you should get major MVP consideration.

Brady is clearly pulling more than his own weight in this offense so TMQ's point doesn't really say anything. Patriots O-line gets plenty of praise, as it should, so it's not like people are trash talking them.

Keep in mind that Brady is also the guy identifying the defense and calling out the protection. The offensive line is great, but Brady has a hand in its greatness.

Oh come on let's get serious. Harrington isn't even in the same league as Brady. Heck, Cleo Lemon could probably give Joey a run for his money.

There's a huge difference between just getting rid of the ball quickly, and doing so while ALSO making the right read and the right pass.

38 touchdowns to 4 INTs. That is a cyborg-like TD to INT ratio that Harrington could NEVER come close to except in his dreams.

Last edited:
My god Easterbrook is flat out dumb. No offense to the five layers of protection, but Brady (and Moss + other weapons) makes this OL look a lot better.

Just look back to last season when at times Brady was under siege and the OL was like a sieve sometimes, he got rid of the ball before it became completely apparent, and that is to Brady's credit.

While we all call the OL "underrated", we have to a) give Brady credit for always being quick to get rid of the ball and know exactly where to go with it b) give Brady credit for being able to take hits and stay in the pocket until the very last minute c) give credit to Moss and the other weapons which cause teams to rush no more than 4 players, dropping the rest into coverage.

Did it ever occur to Easterbrook that the reason Brady has so much freakin time is b/c teams are afraid to devote any more players to the rush? No, I guess it didn't, b/c he's a moron.

Last edited:
This is dumb. Look at David Carr. He got sacked in Houston, everyone blamed the line. Now he is getting sacked in Caralina, while Matt Shaub is enjoying a good season back in Houston. Now tell me its not Carr's fault.

Like that play where Brady stepped up so smoothly in the pocket with pressure coming from his backside, and then lobbed the perfect pass over the LB and in front of the safety last week. Yea anyone can do what Brady is doing, he doesn't have great pocket presence, ability to read defenses quickly, ability to find the open man and the accuracy to get the ball to the right man in the right place at the right time. NOPE anyone can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots