PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady is the GOAT. This IndyStar thread proves it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
To me:

Greatest of the salary cap era = greatest of all-time.

Now that, is an interesting twist to the argument

Should the media decide to raise Brady up and declare him the GOAT I won't be complaining. I just think to cement his name in that position he needs another SB

Both of you have good points. One more SB ring, imo, would validate an argument for Brady as the greatest of all time.

But let's not forget that Brady is a "cold weather" QB while Manning and Montana are/were not. This tips the scales towards TB significantly.

The only QB he has have fallen short of at this point is Montana. 3 rings + 16-0 + TD record puts him in the top 3-5, without question, already.

He'll need a 4th to be alongside Montana. Having lost a Super Bowl - while acknowledging he put the team in a position that should've been a sure win - is something Montana never did, so Brady would need a 5th to pass Montana.

But now we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Agreed with all that

Last edited:
I am just seeing from the public perspective

If you went out and randomly polled football fans I am almost certain Joe Montana wins

Disagree. Manning wins that in a runaway, I think.

Disagree. Manning wins that in a runaway, I think.

Let me rephrase

if you polled learned football fans. Not just ones that gobble up the hype that the mediots throw at them every day

Some time ? Are you on crack ?

1. 2007 - - lets see SB 42 he leads them to go ahead TD, and only a lucky catch and brickhands Asante take away his 4-4 SB record
2. 2008 - - out injured all year after barely playing one quarter for the season
3. 2009 - - recovers to comeback and play at a high level. Yes, an up and down year,

but to call him "hasn't been flawless in some time" is beyond idiotic

Have you seen his playoff performance the last couple of years?

Over his last 6 playoff games he stats are 148 of 236 for 1403 yards 11 tds 10 ints 76 rating. With individual game rating of 57, 79, 141, 66, 82 & 49. Now Brady is one of the greatest ever, but he has taken a sharp downward turn in his playoff performances. If we are going to get on Manning for poor playoff games, then we need to do the same for Brady.

LOL at all the replies on that page?

Have you seen his playoff performance the last couple of years?

Over his last 6 playoff games he stats are 148 of 236 for 1403 yards 11 tds 10 ints 76 rating. With individual game rating of 57, 79, 141, 66, 82 & 49. Now Brady is one of the greatest ever, but he has taken a sharp downward turn in his playoff performances. If we are going to get on Manning for poor playoff games, then we need to do the same for Brady.

First, you left out the 101 the week before when he played the Jets - if you are going to go back to 2006, don't cherry pick. Second, Brady managed to find a way to win in a couple of those games, notably both San Diego games. Take that pass to Reche Caldwell in the 06 game, does Manning make that? Or does he throw a pick and sulk?

If it weren't for the Tyree catch, Brady would've won his 3rd SB MVP.

He sucked against Baltimore, no doubt there. But this team was going nowhere fast this year and he - and other key offensive players - were too banged up to make a run. The last thing I'm worried about going forward is a couple of subpar playoff performances from Brady of late.

The best I ever saw was Unitas, but the game has changed so much that there is no way to compare him to current QBs. Manning will always have better stats than Brady, and although I don't like him, Manning is a great QB. But I think the only reason Manning has come close to Brady is that the Patriot's championships are fading from memory. I agree with other poster's that if Brady wins another Superbowl the argument will end.

With another SB, Brady ll become the GOAT without stand. Right now he has the Montana sword over him.

I would say Montana based on his wins, but with the caveat those wins involved teams with phenomenal supporting casts (they had a top 5 defense each of the championship years) and offenses with multiple Pro Bowlers. Great players win with great teams, but greater players win with lesser teams. Given the restrictions imposed by the salary cap, Brady won 1 fewer title to date with much less of a supporting cast than Montana had. At a minimum, that distinction makes the issue debatable.

As for post-season numbers, I don't think the argument hangs on passer rating or interceptions. It is not as much a QB needs to be perfect in games as it is the timing of when he is imperfect. Manning's interception is a good example of when you do not want to make a mistake. Brady's interception by Bailey is another, but he really does not have much of a history with that when his performance counted. Brady had the Broncos and Ravens games - Manning had many games like that in the playoffs over his career.

Last edited:
The only QB he has have fallen short of at this point is Montana. 3 rings + 16-0 + TD record puts him in the top 3-5, without question, already.

He'll need a 4th to be alongside Montana. Having lost a Super Bowl - while acknowledging he put the team in a position that should've been a sure win - is something Montana never did, so Brady would need a 5th to pass Montana.

But now we're getting ahead of ourselves.

If Brady wins his 4th how could getting to another an losing put him behind someone else who won 4 and didnt make it to a 5th? Thats crazy.

If Brady wins his 4th how could getting to another an losing put him behind someone else who won 4 and didnt make it to a 5th? Thats crazy.

Montana being perfect in the big game is something that - unfortunately - Brady can never claim to. Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Brady homer there is, but if Brady gets #4, he's only going to cement himself as he and Montana as the all-time greats - something people in NE already acknowledge, b/c we realize he didn't lose SB42, if anything, he had it won for us.

He would have to get #5 to separate himself from Montana, wouldn't you agree?. 16-0 is a great achievement, and maybe that's enough to put him ahead of Montana, but Montana does have the perfect record in the SB to fall back on. It's a toss-up. All I meant was that Brady can't pass Montana by winning #4 simply b/c he was in another SB game.

Brady needs 1 more ring to be GOAT in my opinion, its a shame that Tyree had to catch that ball/we blew the 06 AFCCG otherwise he'd be far and away the GOAT

Montana being perfect in the big game is something that - unfortunately - Brady can never claim to. Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Brady homer there is, but if Brady gets #4, he's only going to cement himself as he and Montana as the all-time greats - something people in NE already acknowledge, b/c we realize he didn't lose SB42, if anything, he had it won for us.

He would have to get #5 to separate himself from Montana, wouldn't you agree?. 16-0 is a great achievement, and maybe that's enough to put him ahead of Montana, but Montana does have the perfect record in the SB to fall back on. It's a toss-up. All I meant was that Brady can't pass Montana by winning #4 simply b/c he was in another SB game.

This logic is odd.

What do QBs and Baseball Pitchers have in common?

This logic is odd.

Explain.

4=4.

5>4.

I'm not sure where people are getting confused here. In order for Brady to separate himself from Montana completely, he'd have to get to 5. Would he not? If you asked me my opinion, I'd say he's better than Montana right now - but that doesn't matter, it's the national perception and the legacy created from it that counts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back