PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: I plan to play for another decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Brady is not going to play for another 10 years. Not going to happen. He'll have 2 more MVP worthy years and 2-3 more of above-average QB play. That will take him to 38 years old which would be outstanding.

Tom Brady is not going to play for another 10 years. Not going to happen. He'll have 2 more MVP worthy years and 2-3 more of above-average QB play. That will take him to 38 years old which would be outstanding.
TB12 will play as long as he's performing. Once he's expendable then BB will replace him like he does with everyone.

Last edited:
I would not be suprised to see him playing in a different uniform. once he starts to break down, there will be some other team who will need him and will upgrade their QB situation

It happens to most QB's

NFL.com news: Hearing footsteps? Brady says he plans to play 10 more years It's good to hear that he is feeling optimistic and healthy but what happens when his contract is over? Can any of you imagine a Joe Montana scenario. It would kill me to watch him in another uniform.

Go ahead, piss him off. Tommy feeds off doubters.

Tom is competitive and he's always had enough self confidence to sign incremental team friendly contracts. He'll be in line for another extension in a couple of years. If as some opine he will be coming off merely another 2 MVP caliber seasons, he will get it. He will be worth as much to this franchise in retirement one day as Favre could have been to GB. That alone will more than compensate for the final extension when his average seasons will still be light years better than the average starting NFL QB...

This always happens when Bill signs a QB. Mallett has about the same odds of replacing the GOAT as KOC did. Mallett is tall and he has a rocket arm. Been there done that. He's got a lot of holes in his on field game beyond off field concerns that will have to be overcome before he even replaces Hoyer. He has been said to be more pro ready than any of the draftees at the position this season. That is more an endictment on them, and it may in fact be a mirage of sorts. As a college HC Petrino has never produced an NFL QB out of the college ranks. About the only one he gets any credit for helping develop early on is Jake Plummer... His rep as an OC is largely predicated on design and play calling prowess that seems to lend itself to inflating the stats of whatever QB he employs.

I really hope that the market at the position being what it is, Bill gets more than a broken heart out of his connection to a value pick. Coaches sons don't always pan out and guys who impress on the board can't always perform under pressure on the field at the next level. That is why selection particularly at the position is as much art as science. And maybe as much luck as either. Brady has always been self motivated, but Bill lives to create competition at all positions.

Brady would have succeeded wherever he went to the same level as his HC absent him. It was the synergy of the two in tandem that allowed both to achieve the heights they have. For many reasons this was clearly the ideal landing spot for Mallet in terms of potential professional development. The same could be said for Matt Cassel and Brian Hoyer among others. But Mallett is clearly not an ideal fit for this system. Neither were KOC or Rohan Davey or Matt Gutierrez or Zak Robinson, and despite the advantage of landing here we all know now what their ceiling was...

Getting drafted in the third only bought KOC (whom I believe Bill also believed carried a first round grade) a year to prove he was developable. It will likely buy Mallett 2 between the hype and the lockout. After that he's either on to someone else's taxi squad or perceived as more pro ready and a better value than anything some desperate GM can hope to draft in 2013. Meanwhile, Brady's heir apparent (whom some of you may have to come to terms with never providing the smooth transition between HOF'ers you've pined for ever since you finally realized Brady was Canton bound) is probably gearing up for his first spring practice and red shirt freshman season...

This draft as it unfolded obviously appealed to Bill less as an opportunity to load up on potential immediate impact talent circa 2010 than as an opportunity to persue potential future value. Maybe that was due in part to circumstances or maybe it was the way he viewed this somewhat odd class overall.

Last edited:
NFL.com news: Hearing footsteps? Brady says he plans to play 10 more years

It's good to hear that he is feeling optimistic and healthy but what happens when his contract is over? Can any of you imagine a Joe Montana scenario. It would kill me to watch him in another uniform.

I'm sure he DOES want to play for another ten years....but sadly if he does it will NOT be in a Patriots uniform. He will play his contract out here or may be moved before it ends.....I would love to see him just retire a Patriot rather than to go on and play for another team....

MO, I think Brady can hold off Mallett for the next two years for sure, and most likely 3-4, but I think you're being unfairly dismissive of Mallett by suggesting there is some comparision between him and KOC. KOC was a mediocre player in the defense-optional WAC (46 TDs, 34 Ints in 4 years). Mallett was an elite player in the SEC (62 TD's, 19 Ints in 2 years). KOC was viewed as a long term project by all draft experts. Mallett was viewed as the most pro-ready QB in the draft. Obviously, the transition from college to pro is a difficult one for all QBs, but this guy has comparitively little to work on.

This is a great example of the press creating a story where there isn't one. It is laughable to me that last years MVP quarterback would be hearing any footsteps from some recently drafted rookie.

I'm sure Tom recognizes that his career isn't going to last forever regardless of who else is on the roster but as far as feeling pressured by a draft choice, well, that borders on hilarious.

This sacrilegious but do you think that the Patriots will trade him before his contract is up? Richard Seymour-esue...

I cannot see the organization being that heartless but imagine how many picks (two firsts and change?) the Patriots could get. After Friday it is pretty clear that (like Bill Clinton and anything in a skirt) BB seems powerless to resist the temptation of fist full of draft picks.

MO, I think Brady can hold off Mallett for the next two years for sure, and most likely 3-4, but I think you're being unfairly dismissive of Mallett by suggesting there is some comparision between him and KOC. KOC was a mediocre player in the defense-optional WAC (46 TDs, 34 Ints in 4 years). Mallett was an elite player in the SEC (62 TD's, 19 Ints in 2 years). KOC was viewed as a long term project by all draft experts. Mallett was viewed as the most pro-ready QB in the draft. Obviously, the transition from college to pro is a difficult one for all QBs, but this guy has comparitively little to work on.

I agree. Mallett is nowhere near the next Brady yet, but he's far ahead of KOC. If it wasn't for character questions, Mallett would have been the 2nd or 3rd QB off the board, a definite 1st-rounder.

Having said that much, he's just a rookie who isn't guaranteed a roster spot. He's got a long way to go, but he landed in the ideal place and can learn from the GOAT. I don't think he was drafted to be Brady's replacement, but Brady will probably see it that way and set out to destroy the world next season. And Mallett is a guy who could eventually replace Hoyer if we decide to flip him for a pick, and be a solid starter as well, or one we could eventually flip as well for a pick if he develops.

Most teams draft some athlete late and try to develop him as the 3rd QB (a la Romo). Our 3rd QB just happens to be a 1st-round talent and one of the top 3-QBs in the draft.

Don't see Tom as a lifelong Patriot

I see him here for about 4 or 5 more years and then off to the west coast to play as a 49er (who he would have loved drafting him in his backyard) or maybe the Chargers...or dare I say it,as a Raiduh

Last edited:
It will be incredibly difficult for Mallet to outwork Brady enough to make Belichick even consider this decision in 4 years. It's likelier that Hoyer is gone by then, and that Belichick trades Mallet in that fourth year and selects a QB that can take over. Mallet is going to learn about dedication soon.

He's got a lot to work on. And he's got 2 years to work on it. This was a piss poor QB class made to look better than it was because of desperation and the lack of FA. If the lockout is upheld I doubt any of these guys will still be around in 3-4 years... If Mallett pans out it will be a testament to BB and BOB because Petrino has never produced a pro ready starting QB out of his pro ready college offenses. Raw talent and measurables can be as intoxicating to HC's as it generally is to scouts and to fans and football pundits. Sometimes it carries the day, more often than not it doesn't.

I hope Bill is right this time. If he is we net a first in 2013, which will be Mallett's last contract year here... But before that happens he has to prove he can even replace Hoyer by 2012... And as I said before, it's hard to get the opportunities to prove your worth here and you often have to make the most of them out of sight of the masses. Bill doesn't showcase talent. Playing time and first team snaps go to guys who earn them grinding it out below the radar while managing to resist the urge to showcase themselves in favor of simply doing what they're asked to do. That was something both KOC and Gutierrez struggled with. And despite what his critics here thought they saw, Cassel didn't. And neither did Brady, who was willing to adapt to whatever assignment these coaches tossed his way and prove to them he could do it. That was why they believed they could essentially tell a rookie with a minute twenty left on the biggest stage in the world that while we were going to be careful out there we were going to go for it... To this day I don't think everyone here appreciates just what that says about how unique his talents and his makeup are. Mallett is nearly his anthesis. As was KOC. Which is why sometimes including in evaluating talent even for a HOF'er like Bill I think it's just as important to be lucky as good...

I think it's at least as likely McElroy will replace Sanchize in the next couple of seasons as it is this kid will ever replace Brady.

Don't see Tom as a lifelong Patriot

I see him here for about 4 or 5 more years and then off to the west coast to play as a 49er (who he would have loved drafting him in his backyard) or maybe the Chargers...or dare I say it,as a Raiduh

Legacy means too much to all three members of the triumverate here for that to happen. Brady will finish his career here. As will BB and Bob Kraft... Tom isn't Brett. Or Drew. He won't play past his time and he'll continue to work at his craft until the day he hangs 'em up.

It will be incredibly difficult for Mallet to outwork Brady enough to make Belichick even consider this decision in 4 years. It's likelier that Hoyer is gone by then, and that Belichick trades Mallet in that fourth year and selects a QB that can take over. Mallet is going to learn about dedication soon.

Not so sure that Hoyer isn't traded away or released this year to a team like Miami who really needs a Vet backup to Henne

I don't expect the roster to have 3 QBs because we have not had that in quite some time,and I dont see Mallett on the PS, so something has to give.

It's clear to me this move was to say that Mallett is the future of the Pats,not Hoyer who was solid insurance the past few years but maybe time to see him have a better chance at starting somewhere else.

Last edited:
Legacy means too much to all three members of the triumverate here for that to happen. Brady will finish his career here. As will BB and Bob Kraft... Tom isn't Brett. Or Drew. He won't play past his time and he'll continue to work at his craft until the day he hangs 'em up.

All Pats fans see this as a dream that Tommy will retire as a Pat

Maybe someday Tommy feels he has something left and the team sees differently?,it's possible,remember the NFL is more business than it is a game and the team will do what it feels is in their best interest,if they see Mallett or someone else as a better fit as a starting QB than a 38 year old Brady, then maybe they part ways and let Tom find a team that could use a future HOFer

If Montana didn't retire as a 49er,then who knows how it will end up for #12

And we have no idea of when Belichick decides to stop coaching and spend time with his family,that could play a big factor as well with Brady.

Brady and Belichick are like Peanut Butter and Jelly,take one away and that sandwich just doesn't taste very good.

Last edited:

Mallet was a BB perceived value pick worth the late 3rd round risk/reward of developing him, using him as a #2 and then hopefully trading him in 2014 as part of the draft pick package to draft TFB's replacement in 2015 so he can learn for a couple years as Tom finishes his career here.

Bledsoe probably planned to play longer than he did.

I'm a huge Brady fan, and I'm sure this will fire him up and he'll take it as a personal insult. It'll be Drew Henson all over again (even with the Michigan connection). It wasn't meant that way by the FO, but I expect to see the best out of Brady.

As for how long he can hold off, that's really up to Brady. If he's continuing to play well, I don't think they'll kick him out. It's premature to think of Mallett as his successor considering Mallett hasn't even made the team, and no 3rd-round QB is guaranteed anything here (ask KOC). How long Mallett stays and how far he progresses is also up to him.

I absolutely hated the pick when it was made, thought the NFLN was insane when they reported it early, but I'm really liking this pick.

This sacrilegious but do you think that the Patriots will trade him before his contract is up? Richard Seymour-esue...

I cannot see the organization being that heartless but imagine how many picks (two firsts and change?) the Patriots could get. After Friday it is pretty clear that (like Bill Clinton and anything in a skirt) BB seems powerless to resist the temptation of fist full of draft picks.

I can see the organization being that heartless.

One or two years left on his contract, Brady misses 4 games to an injury, Mallet goes 3-1 in Brady's absence and looks good doing so. Some one offers a first and a second.

Ryan Mallett will never replace brady and will eventually be traded. Brady will finish this deal and get another, he probably won't go 10 more but 6-7 is far from out of the question, and lighting a fire under him is a really bad thing for the rest of the league, nicely done Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes