PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: "I don’t believe I’m very good."

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Honestly, this is real good stuff, Borges or no. Some real straightforward talk from Tom. I don't know about you guys, but we're obviously seeing a lot of great stuff coming out on Pats players that I don't remember being of this level in the last couple of years, even 2007. Anyway, worth the read. If I was allowed I paste the whole thing to avoid you clicking through to the Herald...

Long article full of memorable quotes from a guy we should be proud to have representing our team.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Tom Brady opens up: “I can?t imagine me not wanting to do this” … and links!

Excerpts:

“I think I’ve always needed to prove it to myself,” Brady told the Herald this week. “I don’t think I ever believe I’ve got it figured out because I was never the best athlete. There were always guys picked ahead of me. No matter how much you win you don’t forget that.

“I don’t believe I’m very good. If I don’t put the work in there I don’t believe I’ll be very good. That’s how I’ve come to see it.

“Last week before the Miami game, Junior Seau told the team, ‘Make no mistake about it guys, this jersey you’re wearing is rented. It’s all about what you’re doing right now.’ He’s seen everything in this league. He was right. There’s nothing guaranteed.”

But when the talk turned to the possibility of a dwindling motivation to come back to football because the rest of his life was everyone else’s dream, he could find only one word to describe his thoughts.

“Ridiculous!” Brady said. “I can’t imagine me not wanting to do this. I really don’t think I enjoy anything else to the same level. There’s nothing I love more than playing football. Everything else is a hobby."

Last edited:
He's right. Dude sux ballz.

:D

“I can’t imagine me not wanting to do this. I really don’t think I enjoy anything else to the same level. There’s nothing I love more than playing football. Everything else is a hobby."

He better hope Gisele hasn't read Lysistrata. :D:eek:

Someone should email this to clowns like Romo and Cutler and Russell, etc. They all have talent, but sometimes they use it as a crutch. Bill will always take the guy with a little less who is driven to make the absolute most of his. Even Manning, who many claimed to possess more superior gifts from the get go, would be nothing comparatively speaking if he didn't bust his ass to be more than gifted.

This just reinforces my long held belief as well that Brady will finish his career here for two reasons, he wants to and he will continue to do whatever it takes on and off the field and at the negotiating table to remain a valuable player asset, and then leave before he gets to the point where Kraft or BB would even begin to contemplate moving him for value. And he gets that the same calculation is at work for everyone affiliated with this team - as it should be for all teams - from ownership to the ball boys, so it's not some disrespectful insult, it's accountability and the business of football's reality.

Great find, Jsn.. very insightful.

If you follow the link to the Borges article (I know that is taboo for some) it is worth the read. This was the type of stuff he was known for before he lost his way. Great stuff.

If you follow the link to the Borges article (I know that is taboo for some) it is worth the read. This was the type of stuff he was known for before he lost his way. Great stuff.

I guess they're sensing they can take the momentum away from the Globe because their Patriots beat is terrible now.

I guess they're sensing they can take the momentum away from the Globe because their Patriots beat is terrible now.

I strongly disagree. Albert Breer is doing a terrific job - his piece on Wednesday was over a full page, the most football coverage I've ever seen on a weekday in a Boston newspaper.

Thanks for posting. Good article.

I thought the obsessive focus (not sure if Brady's or Borges') on the fact that he could be traded some day was both weird and a weird angle.

After the Herald called Giselle and Airhead on the cover last month I predicted Brady would never give the Herald an exclusive.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Good article.

I thought the obsessive focus (not sure if Brady's or Borges') on the fact that he could be traded some day was both weird and a weird angle.

No, it's just his way of diffusing that issue going forward. He's saying he's no different than any other player, he has to produce and provide value or he won't be retained no matter how wonderful he or anyone else believes he is. But he points out he also understands it's the same scenario for BB and the FO and essentially anyone in a employment situation, as the fact that it has been for them in the past proves. Coaches don't often get "traded" (like Herm did), but they get cut just like players regardless of what they've already done for you unless they continue to produce. Look at the SB winning HC's currently on sabbatical or working in broadcast booths...

I do believe though that he and BB will provide the kind of continued value that allows them to stay in the game here as long as they choose because they will also have the sense to realize when it's time to go, period. And I think in both cases there will be no alternative challenges remaining to be met because maximizing their legacy here has always represented sufficient challenge to them. They'd rather set the bar for how many rings you can win with one franchise than prove you could win one with another.

C'mon, Tom! Stop listening to those Jets fans.

Great read and a tremendous look on what goes on between #12's ears. Good find.

With the way the media talks about Brady nowadays he is pretty mediocre

I think he's very good. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. He can "believe" what he wants to believe... as long as he keeps winning.

Rodney Harrison focused on real and imagined disses to get his mojo workin. Similarly, what makes TFB tick is focus on the "6th round pick" "Non-athelete" meme. He uses that to push himself to do the necessary extra physical and mental game study work that results in separating him from the rest of the league not only today, but for all time. Greatness, people. Study it. Take from it lessons you can apply in your own lives and benefit.

Last edited:
Rodney Harrison focused on real and imagined disses to get his mojo workin. Similarly, what makes TFB tick is focus on the "6th round pick" "Non-athelete" meme. He uses that to push himself to do the necessary extra physical and mental game study work that results in separating him from the rest of the league not only today, but for all time. Greatness, people. Study it. Take from it lessons you can apply in your own lives and benefit.

Well said.

There is not another coach or QB I'd ever want.

Embrace and enjoy every second of the current team folks, we're blessed.

The link to the Indystar article is a must read IMO.....great article. I won't take away Borges hit for it since it was overall a good read....despite who it came from.

There is not another coach or QB I'd ever want.

Embrace and enjoy every second of the current team folks, we're blessed.

Give me Rod Rust and Ryan Leaf, every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back