PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady froze out Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I hate this time of year, nothing going on, so without further adieu....

Tired of INTs, Brady froze out Moss

Brady was tired of throwing picks on balls intended for Moss (he threw two against the Jets; he had just two more the rest of the regular season). Moss could say all the right things and make all the promises. But in the end, he's too dangerous to employ.

Last edited:
Re: Tired of INTs, Brady froze out Moss

Um, No! Not buying it.

Moss' 4 games with Patriots in 2010....
Catches.....4,2,2,0
TDs...........0,1,2,0
Clearly he went from the focus of the offense (2007-2009) to an option within the offense (2010). Randy went into panic mode realizing that reduced production equalled reduced future dollars......resulting in.......DIVA time.
As far as Brady goes...numbers don't lie. Passing to Moss meant a decreased completion %. Add in the ego stroking Brady had give Moss weekly.....easy decision for the organization.

Passing downfield is going to result in a lower completion rate REGARDLESS. Too many people are basing too much off one game. Not to mention that two of those INTs occurred on 3rd and long situations when an INT was as good as a punt, and the other at the end of the half.

I am not the biggest Moss defender. In fact, I am not a big fan ofthe guy. That said, if you read the Tom E Curran article that this article is drawing the information, this not some inside scoop or knowledge that Brady made a coscious effort to phase Moss out. It was just Curran's observation and not an new news.

I am not the biggest Moss defender. In fact, I am not a big fan ofthe guy. That said, if you read the Tom E Curran article that this article is drawing the information, this not some inside scoop or knowledge that Brady made a coscious effort to phase Moss out. It was just Curran's observation and not an new news.

Exactly. There is no insider information here.

Curran isn't saying anything we didn't see for ourselves on MNF.

Moss had two and 3 guys covering him on almost every snap. Moss was trade it cause he was crying over Bradys new 20 million doller contract cause he felt he got him it thats why he's not a patriot no more

I tend to agree it was the off field stuff and his contract distraction that posed a problem.

If Randy had his head in the game 100% and played within the emerging scheme, I seriously doubt Brady would have had a problem with him at all. Come on, the Patriots could have used the 2009 Moss.

I tend to agree it was the off field stuff and his contract distraction that posed a problem.

If Randy had his head in the game 100% and played within the emerging scheme, I seriously doubt Brady would have had a problem with him at all. Come on, the Patriots could have used the 2009 Moss.

A focused, greatful Moss would be a nice addition for 2011.

It's feasible since 2010 does set his value, if Moss realizes it.

The NE offense will be fine without Randy Moss.

I hate this time of year, nothing going on, so without further adieu....

Tired of INTs, Brady froze out Moss

Brady was tired of throwing picks on balls intended for Moss (he threw two against the Jets; he had just two more the rest of the regular season). Moss could say all the right things and make all the promises. But in the end, he's too dangerous to employ.
I said it then. After the game I felt Brady played poorly. After I watched the tape, I was convinced it was Moss, not Brady.
They single covered him, and he didn't beat it, except on one play.
On the first Int, he either has gotten a lot slower, or did not go 100% to the ball.
On the 2nd he gave a weak effort to one hand the ball, tipping it to the Jet interceptor, rather than make an effrot to go strong after the intentional underthrow.
I caught a lot of grief on this board for observing that Moss' lack of effort was responsible for the Ints, but if you watch that game and discuss what you saw without bias, it is obvious.

The funny thing is that was maybe the only game that Brady ever zeroed in on Moss because he was singled all day, yet people on this board try to blame Brady for locking in on Moss. Brady locked in during that game when Moss was man to man, because up until then he would destroy it.
After that game Brady learned that the matchup of Moss man to man wasn't as good as it used to be.

A focused, greatful Moss would be a nice addition for 2011.

It's feasible since 2010 does set his value, if Moss realizes it.
A Moss who still had the ability he did from 07-09 would be a nice addition. The Moss that exists in 2011 is a waste of a roster space.

But it looks pretty correct.
Before that game Moss was viewed as a automatic win one on one.
In that game Brady learned that he no longer was.
I think 'froze out' is the wrong connotation, but Brady realized that the definition of "Moss is open" was nowhere near what it used to be.
The guy's skills eroded. It happens to everyone eventually. Brady is too smart not to recognize it as soon as he is burned by it.
The Jets were Moss' worst nightmare. Everyone else was afraid to cover him one on one. The Jets weren't and by doing that proved to the league that there was no reason to.
Then Moss went on to produce like a practice squad guy brought up due to an injury to fill out the roster.

Exactly. There is no insider information here.

Curran isn't saying anything we didn't see for ourselves on MNF.

Agreed - though Curran does sometimes gain corroroboration for his theories...

And the theory that the Patriots offensive scheme was going to showcase Moss less and less, combined with the fact that Moss' performance was slipping, combined with the fact that everyone seems sure Belichick would make sure that Brady was on board with the move to trade Moss, suggest that Curran's report isn't far from the truth.

The notion that Brady was motivated by a desire not to give up INTs when throwing to Moss is inaccurate IMO though - nor was it anything personal against Moss - it was just the smart football decision.

When Moss made it clear he wasn't willing to accept that in a contract year and made clear he'd be a distraction if not traded, there was no reason to keep him, and Belichick turned his former 4th round pick into a lot of touchdowns and a 3rd round pick in 2011!

Passing downfield is going to result in a lower completion rate REGARDLESS. Too many people are basing too much off one game. Not to mention that two of those INTs occurred on 3rd and long situations when an INT was as good as a punt, and the other at the end of the half.

Hard to say for sure. I would add that the targets suggest that there may be some fire to this smoke:

Week 1 (CIN): 8 targets
Week 2 (NYJ): 10 targets
Week 3 (BUF): 3 targets
Week 4 (MIA): 1 target

18 targets in the first two games, 4 in the next two. I don't know if Brady froze him out or maybe lost a bit of faith in him to the point that he didn't want to throw that jump ball up anymore. But I don't think Buffalo or Miami did a better job covering him than say Cincy or the Jets.

He went to Minnesota and averaged over 6 targets per game (25 targets in 4 games). He then went to Tennessee, where he saw 15 targets over 4 games before going back to the bench when Britt got healthy. So clearly he was able to get open at some point for other teams.

Last edited:
Randy Moss had a horrid work ethic his entire career. Amazing to me that this turd will get into the HOF for being lazy when he could have surpassed everyone if he tried a little harder. Or tried at all.

Loved how he quit on the pass in the NE SB fail.

I don't want him anywhere near the Jets. We have enough ******s on our historical roster to even it out. Jason Taylor can eat sh*t.

I think it is pretty clear that Moss did not fit in the team anymore. Whether his decline in production was physical or mental; whether it was Moss's fault or Brady's or BOB's we shall never know but he was no longer the asset to the team that he was in 2007.

That being said, I don't think it was really anybody's "fault". Things just fell the way they did. It is pretty clear to me that Moss was a very special talent, a once in a generation type of a guy. I am still nostalgic about the 2007 moss and very much appreciate his contribution to the patriots' success and none of what he said or did recently takes away from that. And judging by the words of the organization during and after his tenure, they feel the same way.

Moss may well still become a strong contributor, if not the number one but it is going to be for some other team. I am thankful to Moss for his services and have moved on and so have the Patriots. It is just tragic that Moss hasn't been able to.

Hard to say for sure. I would add that the targets suggest that there may be some fire to this smoke:

Week 1 (CIN): 8 targets
Week 2 (NYJ): 10 targets
Week 3 (BUF): 3 targets
Week 4 (MIA): 1 target

18 targets in the first two games, 4 in the next two. I don't know if Brady froze him out or maybe lost a bit of faith in him to the point that he didn't want to throw that jump ball up anymore. But I don't think Buffalo or Miami did a better job covering him than say Cincy or the Jets.

He went to Minnesota and averaged over 6 targets per game (25 targets in 4 games). He then went to Tennessee, where he saw 15 targets over 4 games before going back to the bench when Britt got healthy. So clearly he was able to get open at some point for other teams.

His skills or desire diminished severely in the past year... being open at some point is not that clear to me..

In NE he had 18 targets, 9 catches for an average of 15.4 yards
In Minn he had 25 targets, 13 catches for an average of 13.4 yards
In Tenn he had 15 targets, 6 catches for an average of 13.3 yards

Taking your word on the number of targets from each team..

Not so sure from the above that he was able to "clearly get open" for other teams, there is no statistical difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes