Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by billdog3484, Feb 25, 2013.
My opinion and only my opinion. Guarantees Wes Welker comes back in my opinion.
i said in hte welker deal thread that TB would have some say in it and i think this proves it
Directionally right. Somewhat overstated, because nothing is certain until it's certain.
Should be merged with the Brady extension thread(s).
How dare you have an opinion! I completely agree with you. This is looking like Welkah will be back this season.
It guarantees the Pats will be spending money this offseason. Doesn't mean it will necessarily be on Welker, but it is a good possibility.
I have quietly been waiting for this move ... I absolutely believe Wes will be back and Tom had a lot to do with it.
Welker and another I bet.
Who that person is. I dunno.
The team needs to decide the value of Welker. The situation hasn't changed all that much. If they consider others more worthy of top money, then then the will sign someone else.
For me, I think that it's a done deal. Brady took only $9M a year. He wants his favorite 3 targets until he retires.
IMO, Welker has now become a given. Brady wants him back and just made it even more possible for the team to do it while also building the defense. I still think Vollmer and Talib are gone.
I hope so, but the Patriots I am sure couldn't give TB any such guarantee. They instead likely convinced him that one way or another the cap savings would be re-invested in free agents to help the team.
90% right. The other 10% is that Brady gets to be sort of a mediator between Welker and the Pats on a contract, in ways that would otherwise be none of his business.
If I recall correctly the Pats only wanted to offer Welker two years with $16 million guaranteed a year ago, while Welker and his agent were looking for at least three years.
Taking into consideration that Welker played for one season at $9+ million last year, what is he looking for now? A two year contract would give him the total of three years that he was looking for then, unless at this point he has decided to seek more than that.
There is a decent possibility that Brady would only do the deal on the contingency that the Pats give Welker a new deal or at least offer him a certain value on the contract that Welker should take if he isn't just going to be petty or greedy.
Brady didn't give money back by taking a below market deal for Kraft to line his pockets. He must have gotten some assurances that money would go to improve the team in certain ways. It may not have been specifically towards Welker, but I bet Brady was given assurances that next year's roster would be as good or better than this year's on paper before he got the deal. But the assurances may have got to the o-line, defense, or towards another WR like one of the younger marquee guys on the market.
Makes it more likely but IMO it just proves Brady is committed to winning and if he believes Welker gives him the best chance then I'd expect him back if he thinks he needs something else then I am sure he expressed that to BB and Kraft.
I'm guessing it goes to Welker, a CB like Grimes or DRC, and then the team goes to the draft targetting either Vaccarro/Elam/Swearinger (who just expressed his admiration for the Patriots) in the first or early second (depending on a trade down), and another WR with their second pick. Time will tell if I'm right.
I don't think it guarantees it, but I think it increases the likelihood of it happening.
Sign the BEASTS!!! a move like this should guarantee an extra impact player for the Pats.
probably won't get enough attention that brady did a team friendly deal to help them win a SB.
Separate names with a comma.