PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady early this season vs. Cassel late last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Who's better?

I think it's close.

That's another way of saying that the alarmism over Brady is way overdone.

Cassel certainly offered more athleticism in being able to call quarterback runs etc and both struggled on the long ball. We watched the development of a starting QB happen right before our eyes where now, we're watching a HoF QB struggle for form coming back from a big injury.

I dont know but throwing for 400 yards in a game seems a way off right now

Cassel circa end of 2008 was better than Brady right now, imo. The biggest weakness in his game was the lack of a deep ball, and Brady doesn't have his back yet either, so that's pretty much a wash. If all goes well, though, it'll be no contest in a few more weeks.

Yes, a healthy Matt Cassel at the end of 2008 is better than early 2009 Brady. However, a healthy 2007 Brady is better than everyone in the league. So what? Neither is an accurate or fair comparison.

Regardless of what Cassel did in 2008, that doesn't mean he'd replicate it in 2009. For one thing, it's not 2008. I know that sounds obvious, and yet, it's significant for several reasons.

2009 started with a new third receiver in Joey Galloway, and a rookie that was getting adjusted to the system in Edelman. Security blanket Wes Welker was injured and missed a few games, and still doesn't look 100%, which is significant considering Cassel is at his best with short, quick passes. Randy Moss had the back problems to start the year too.

I'm not suggesting Cassel would have been awful. I'm just saying the comparison isn't really reasonable. Would Matt Cassel have beaten the Jets defense? I don't think so. Would we have beaten the Broncos with Cassel? Doubtful with the way our D played, and Cassel is a bit shaky on the long ball so I wouldn't even say he'd have hit Moss on that bomb.

The only thing I miss about Cassel is his ability to scramble. He didn't always make the right decision on when to run, but man he could move pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back