PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract details per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't yet because while Reiss information is from someone who has seen the contract it isn't very detailed information. More full or partial guarantees have to be included or it isn't really guaranteed, although he will see that much money in the first three years and that is implicitly guaranteed by his dead cap (remaining amortization and guaranteed money still due) in 2011 or 2012 if he didn't...

Thanks, clearer now. Per Miguel's breakdown, I take it the Pats think the cap will increase in the next few years to absorb the high cap numbers but will be rather small in 2011 if there is one.

Last edited:
No clue how this stuff work but where do we see the guaranteed $48 million?

My guess is that it consists of
2010 $3 million roster bonus
2010 $7.5 million salary
2010 $16 million signing bonus
2011 $5.75 million salary
2011 $4 million roster bonus
2012 $5.75 million salary
2012 $6 million roster bonus

IMO, the 2012 amounts are not even implicitly guaranteed because the Patriots could cut Brady early in 2012 and they would still save money on the 2012 cap. Brady's 2012 cap number is $15.2 million if he is on the 2012 53-man roster. It will be $9.6 million if he is released before his 2012 roster bonus is due.

Thanks, clearer now. Per Miguel's breakdown, I take it the Pats thing the cap will increase in the new few years to absorb the high cap numbers but will be rather small in 2011 if there is one.

Yup. The cap could be fairly stagnant for the first year or two of a new deal if owners get what they want, but it will still grow and at a better clip thereafter because the changes they want will help grow the whole pie.

The Colts have already faced cap hits in excess of $20M on Mannings old deal, although their team philosophy has allowed for that having to be the case. Belichick believes the QB position should take up no more than 10-12% in order not to cripple this system. Polian is or has until now been OK with it taking up 15% or more. Different strokes.

Because the expiring CBA didn't ignore or eliminate rules, it just changed some (like 6 years to FA and no limit on how much or how little you can spend on your roster overall - but lots of limits on how you can spend it on individual extensions - i.e. reallocation rule or 30% rule). And they stipulated that for good reason, to avoid chaos when the new one picks up right where the old one left off essentially... This is an uncapped year, not a year absent rules. The next CBA whenever it comes will essentially be the old CBA with amendedments... How signing bonus is treated will likely be one of the things that doesn't change since it hasn't since the inception of the cap. Once money is amortized against the cap it can't be moved.

OK - so is it pretty much accepted that the next CBA is going to be the same as the current one? (only less lucrative to the Players?)

That may indeed be common sense - I just haven't been following that detail of a new CBA that to my knowledge really hadn't been disclosed.

I guess what you suggest does make sense - and that the main posturing with the players is over their share, not in the mechanisms of the salary cap.

My guess is that it consists of
2010 $3 million roster bonus
2010 $7.5 million salary
2010 $16 million signing bonus
2011 $5.75 million salary
2011 $4 million roster bonus
2012 $5.75 million salary
2012 $6 million roster bonus

IMO, the 2012 amounts are not even implicitly guaranteed because the Patriots could cut Brady early in 2012 and they would still save money on the 2012 cap. Brady's 2012 cap number is $15.2 million if he is on the 2012 53-man roster. It will be $9.6 million if he is released before his 2012 roster bonus is due.

But would not his dead cap be a corker with acceleration...including his $5.75M salary fully guaranteed (which it apparently becomes upon the last game of the 2011 season).

I have heard it said that cutting a player for loss of skill is a dicey proposition too and subject to arbitration. You would have to have become absolute garbage and not due to injury... So unless a player like Brady suffered a non football injury (lets say brain) that rendered him unable to play the game or he stopped working out and gained a hundred pounds while drinking himself into oblivion nightly and could no longer hit the broad side of a barn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back