PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady blamed for Playoff loss to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homer ballwasher, Belichik should have drafted Clay Mathews, time for him to retire. Hopefully they draft Andrew Luck a year early so they can replace Brady, he sucks.

The Pats were right to stay away from Matthews. What'd he put on, 40 pounds of lean muscle in 2 years? That ain't normal, I don't care how much whey protein and creatine you take. He looks like a test case for dianabol to me. At any rate, I bet he breaks down in five years with ligament, tendon, and muscle issues...

Cropping the stats top fit your argument is pretty bogus and once again I'll say that there is no way to respond to a point using Roethlisberger as an example without addressing Roethlisberger. You apparently feel he's better than I do, that's simply the way it is. I'd take Brees or Rodgers as well as Brady and manning over him, and while that's not bashing him i'm sure it will be treated as such.

Crop the stats? I took the stats since the last Patriots Super Bowl victory, which is a very sensible cutoff point.

Look, I don't mind that you're an over-the-top homer. This place has several of them, after all, and they help counter the over-the-top Chicken Littles. However, the Roethlisberger stuff is just stupid. He's been, at least arguably, a better postseason player than Brady has been since that last Patriots SB win.

Also, someone who's trying to base his argument on "He has played like crap in 2 of 3" (Super Bowls) shouldn't be complaining to others about cropping stats.

Last edited:
Crop the stats? I took the stats since the last Patriots Super Bowl victory, which is a very sensible cutoff point.

Look, I don't mind that you're an over-the-top homer. This place has several of them, after all, and they help counter the over-the-top Chicken Littles. However, the Roethlisberger stuff is just stupid. He's been, at least arguably, a better postseason player than Brady has been since that last Patriots SB win.

Also, someone who's trying to base his argument on "He has played like crap in 2 of 3" (Super Bowls) shouldn't be complaining to others about cropping stats.

Feel free to post all my "over the top homer" posts, i'll be fascinated to see them. And yes, you cropped the stats, i at least included all of roethlisbergers SB's, whereas you want to start Brady after 2004. I actually doubt there is that much room between our opinions but still want to know how I address a post that specifies Roethlisberger without addressing him, whereas you are suggesting i just forget that and make the argument absent him, which makes no sense at all.

So let's see my over the top homerism. The fact is that the Patriots are the winningest team of this era, and pointing that out is far from homerism. Claiming they are the best when they aren't is over the top homerism, and i don't do that. The last time i called the Patriots the best team in football was after 2004, and that's because they earned it. they weren't this year, and in fact they weren't even as good as the jets, because they lost 2 of 3 to them and didn't beat them when it mattered most. You can call that whatever you want but it's based in reality, not 'homerism."

Feel free to post all my "over the top homer" posts, i'll be fascinated to see them. And yes, you cropped the stats, i at least included all of roethlisbergers SB's, whereas you want to start Brady after 2004. I actually doubt there is that much room between our opinions but still want to know how I address a post that specifies Roethlisberger without addressing him, whereas you are suggesting i just forget that and make the argument absent him, which makes no sense at all.

So let's see my over the top homerism. The fact is that the Patriots are the winningest team of this era, and pointing that out is far from homerism. Claiming they are the best when they aren't is over the top homerism, and i don't do that. The last time i called the Patriots the best team in football was after 2004, and that's because they earned it. they weren't this year, and in fact they weren't even as good as the jets, because they lost 2 of 3 to them and didn't beat them when it mattered most. You can call that whatever you want but it's based in reality, not 'homerism."

Pretty much any of your recent non-draft posts qualify. Hell, this thread's a perfect example. Brady's first and last Super Bowls certainly are not much more impressive, generally speaking, than the 2 Roethlisbeger SBs where you claim he played like crap. His mediocre play in his first SB is forgotten in the wonder of that final drive. There's nothing wrong with that, because the drive was history in the making. But the rest of the game still counts.

And I didn't suggest you forget Roethlisberger. I suggested that you not use him as an example, and that you note him as a special case. Or, to put it another way, he's in a category of 1.

Last edited:
Pretty much any of your recent non-draft posts qualify. Hell, this thread's a perfect example. Brady's first and last Super Bowls certainly are not much more impressive, generally speaking, than the 2 Roethlisbeger SBs where you claim he played like crap. His mediocre play in his first SB is forgotten in the wonder of that final drive.

And I didn't suggest you forget Roethlisberger. I suggested that you not use him as an example, and that you note him as a special case. Or, to put it another way, he's in a category of 1.

Like I said, feel free to post them. Roethlisberger is a good QB but I wouldn't want him over Brady, regardless of mobility. His mobility hasn't made him better and all QB's face as much pressure as any team can muster.

Oh, and when you post them deus be sure include what you disagree with. It would be dumbassed to post them if you actually agree with what I was saying, unless of course you are an "over the top homer."

Brady wasn't great, neither was anyone else on the offense. That's why he was the MVP, because if he doesn't play lights out the team goes down in flames.

Not true. All they needed from Brady was a good game, not a great game just a good game and the Patriots beat the Jets.

Brady wasn't great, neither was anyone else on the offense. That's why he was the MVP, because if he doesn't play lights out the team goes down in flames.

Well, if that is the criteria for MVP then why does P Manning not win the MVP every single year? Heck, they should not even have a vote for the award because the Colts will be not even make .500 without P Manning. That is not just this year, but for the past decade. Instead, they are the 2nd winningest team in Football. Patriots fans (including myself) use his playoff failures as a reason he chokes repeatedly when it really comes down to the immense pressure he has to keep making play after play.

I am not making an argument that he is better than Brady, I am merely fulfilling your definition of MVP. Patriots fans (including myself) use his playoff failures as a reason he chokes repeatedly when it really comes down to the immense pressure he has to keep making play after play.

As for Big Ben, I do not think he is better than Brady...but he is good for his team. His team churns out wins on the ground and gets as many big plays as needed out of the passing game. He is perfect for them. He will never the GOAT that Brady is, but he is perfect for his team.

Last edited:
Well, if that is the criteria for MVP then why does P Manning not win the MVP every single year? Heck, they should not even have a vote for the award because the Colts will be not even make .500 without P Manning. That is not just this year, but for the past decade. Instead, they are the 2nd winningest team in Football. Patriots fans (including myself) use his playoff failures as a reason he chokes repeatedly when it really comes down to the immense pressure he has to keep making play after play.

I am not making an argument that he is better than Brady, I am merely fulfilling your definition of MVP. Patriots fans (including myself) use his playoff failures as a reason he chokes repeatedly when it really comes down to the immense pressure he has to keep making play after play.

As for Big Ben, I do not think he is better than Brady...but he is good for his team. His team churns out wins on the ground and gets as many big plays as needed out of the passing game. He is perfect for them. He will never the GOAT that Brady is, but he is perfect for his team.

Honestly, I think colts could of put together a decent season with Sorgi. Not a championship caliber team though. Colts have a lot of talent on that offense(last year tons of injuries though). Painter sucks though.

You are a complete idiot if you think you can gauge Bradys effort by the look you saw in his eyes. Taking the discussion in the direction you just did makes you even more foolish.
There is no anger in my response at all. Just a disdain for the idiocy of trying to make judgment about a players effort by something as stupid as the look yu saw in his eyes.

I can pretty much tell if Brady is going to have a good game or not when the camera pans to him warming up pre game.

Its a gift.

Not true. All they needed from Brady was a good game, not a great game just a good game and the Patriots beat the Jets.

What about Crumpler and Welker? Chung? Mcourty and Merriweather both getting dragged into the EZ by Edwards? Who was covering Cotchery on his 60 yard play?

What about Crumpler and Welker? Chung? Mcourty and Merriweather both getting dragged into the EZ by Edwards? Who was covering Cotchery on his 60 yard play?

Highest paid player in the NFL needs to play a "good" game (not asking too much here are we??) against the Jets. He does that and the Patriots win. I don't disagree about the other players you've named but this thread is about Brady and his performance. Some of his mediot bunboys (Callahan, Borges etc) have tried to downplay Brady's ineptness against the Jets. Good to see an honest attempt at calling it straight here.
What bothered me the most about Brady was the lack of leadership and toughness he showed in that Jet game. No emotion. No passion. I said it at the time and I believe it - the Jets trashtalked their way into the Patriot gameplan through Brady. Never thought I'd ever see that.
I'll never question TB's physical toughness. Never!
Unfortunately I do question his mental toughness now.

Last edited:
I really don't care that we lost because the Jet's played very well. Had the Jet's played like crap perhaps I would feel worse. Rex called a great game plan - he is a heck of a defensive coach. Perhaps he reminds Bill of his younger days ... perhaps not.

In any case I would much rather discuss that Brady's thinking was impaired by pain killers ... perhaps he had no choice but to take them. You think you are in tune to everything but you're thinking rate is impaired ... and slowed ... way slowed. Open receivers or slowed process of thought ... well it might have been both but whatever - it's on to the maybe 2011 season. :cool:

How stupid are you anyway? I mean really ! Did anyone say that Brady didn't want the game or gave it his best effort ? NO you arse ! What I have stated and others have stated is that he lost his focus and that is what people saw, people didn't see the fire, the guy chewing people out on the sidelines when things weren't going their way (see the Pitt game). People saw a QB who was ducking in the pocket for no reason when no one was near him, making uncharacteristic throws, walking his team up to the LOS during crunch time, letting the play clock completely run down during consecutive snaps when it was a clear 2-minute hurry-up situation during those last possessions. He was clearly confused and rattled at times. That was quite evident. Don't try to twist my words into saying that I felt like he didn't give it his best effort. Many, many have commented about his demeanor during that game, why can't you? Is that hard for you to admit and accept ?
I could care less what many people say they saw on TV. It is a ridiculous method of judging Bradys mental state in that game. Its beyond stupid to imply you know what was going on in his head by his body language.
Please direct me to the plays where Brady ducked for no reason. I do not recall him ducking with no one around him, but I'm sure you can give me the clock time and down and distance so I can see this bizarre behavior and report it to a doctor who can help him with his hallucinations.

Highest paid player in the NFL needs to play a "good" game (not asking too much here are we??) against the Jets. He does that and the Patriots win. I don't disagree about the other players you've named but this thread is about Brady and his performance. Some of his mediot bunboys (Callahan, Borges etc) have tried to downplay Brady's ineptness against the Jets. Good to see an honest attempt at calling it straight here.
What bothered me the most about Brady was the lack of leadership and toughness he showed in that Jet game. No emotion. No passion. I said it at the time and I believe it - the Jets trashtalked their way into the Patriot gameplan through Brady. Never thought I'd ever see that.

His QB rating for the game was higher than his overall playoff average (and Roethlisberger's). That's 7 SB appearances in the postseason between them, and his NYJ playoff loss was almost a full 5 points above BOTH of their postseason averages.

He also had a 65% completion rate, 300 yards, and 2 TD's. I would think an above average QB rating, an above average completion rate, an above average number of TD's, and an above average number of yards thrown (300) would NOT be considered a bad game for most of the 32 NFL teams.
Only here, because we are used to non-stop success.

Running for your life, and going up against a tough defensive team and a great game plan would most likely make most QB's a tad skiddish, and appear to be apprehensive. There may also have been some things behind the scenes, as Icy and some others have suggested (the ammonia in the cup, painkillers, etc)

I guess when you start to act human, and don't appear to be Superman, people start throwing shots and blaming you?? Again, it was a TEAM effort, and the coaching could have been better too. Good teams lose sometimes, and that is what happened. The NYJ shot their wad a week early, and that was their "Super Bowl." Congrats to them. They were the better team that day.

He did not perform up to his usual super-high standard as TFB, the one we have grown accustomed to, and are spoiled with. But if you looked at his stat line before the game, about 95% of us would have thought that would have been enough. Your version of a 'good game' must be 350+, 3-4 TD's etc, because he played 'average' for Tom Brady--which is still 'good' compared to most NFL quarterbacks.

If we need him to throw 350+, and 3-4 TD's against one of the league's better defenses and arguably the best CB tandem, then we are all asking way too much. A higher than average QB rating, 300 yds, 2 TD's, and a 65% completion rate usually isn't considered "not good" by too many people.

FWIW--I agree that he did not play to the standard that we have all set for Tom Brady, yet I will look deep into my heart for forgiveness and cut him a break for his 'human' play at times, because he did not play 'bad' either. It was an all around effort that came up short. Had we won instead of losing by a score, no one would be complaining about his effort--they'd have credited the NYJ defense, which is what we should try and do, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I really don't care that we lost because the Jet's played very well. Had the Jet's played like crap perhaps I would feel worse. Rex called a great game plan - he is a heck of a defensive coach. Perhaps he reminds Bill of his younger days ... perhaps not.

In any case I would much rather discuss that Brady's thinking was impaired by pain killers ... perhaps he had no choice but to take them. You think you are in tune to everything but you're thinking rate is impaired ... and slowed ... way slowed. Open receivers or slowed process of thought ... well it might have been both but whatever - it's on to the maybe 2011 season. :cool:

Well put, no use crying over spilled milk.

Ownership, BB, and Brady himself--have all given us the opportunity to compete every...single...year. What more does anyone want? You cannot win the SB every year, and to think so is ridiculous and spoiled.

I don't ask for anything more but the chance to be in the mix at the end. We should be thankful for that, not *****ing because we didn't go as far as we would've liked.

Try being most other teams, (with the exception of IND, NE, and PIT).

He played like ****....looking Manninguesque vs the dynasty Patriots bad.What pissed me off was him flinching like a little ***** out there when there was no pressure coming.I give Manning very hard time for a bad performance but no way can i defend Brady for this last loss.Manning played better in his loss.

I question your mental capacity, now, but then again that's not new...

He played like ****....looking Manninguesque vs the dynasty Patriots bad.What pissed me off was him flinching like a little ***** out there when there was no pressure coming.I give Manning very hard time for a bad performance but no way can i defend Brady for this last loss.Manning played better in his loss.

Everytime Brady plays must be an automatic win? I ******* hate these *****ing threads. Those early championship teams were great with great players and even they lost games.******* drives me nuts when people say we haven't won **** and especially not winning after spygate.Look at that other greatest of all time QB.He has a losing record in the playoffs.

You can't blame Brady for the 07 SB loss and the 09 team was ****.

Future is bright for us going forward and that's all i care about for now.

Liar liar...oddly you were singing a different tune the day after the loss.

Liar liar...oddly you were singing a different tune the day after the loss.

I didn't comment on the loss to the Jets in that thread.It was directed at some guy on suicide watch who was saying Brady sucks since losing 3 straight.I defended him for the 07,09 loss.

There is no other QB i'd have leading the Pats but he played liked **** in the
Jets loss and looked nowhere near the same level he was in the regular season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey