PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady blamed for Playoff loss to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really matter at this point? The game has long since been reviewed by coaches.

The game is over. 2007 is over.

If is satisfies people to find someone to blame then blame the one you are thinking on blaming anyways and back it up with whatever you see on film. I am sure there are examples of questionable play all around.

Time to move on....don't be wasting your energy on a couple of weeks ago...we got the combine coming up then the draft. Yes it is important to learn from the past, I get that. But I ain't gonna dwell on it...

With much respect to you and your opinion, that's a bit harsh.

As we've already gone over:

--how about the drop by Crumpler in the endzone?

--the Welker drop for the TD?

--the bobbled snap fake punt that changed to the entire outcome of the game from 7-3 at the half to 14-3 at the half? That gave them all the confidence in the world and the momentum heading into the all important break

--the momentum shifting false start on Branch, not to mention his possibility of mis-timing on another key throw or two

--the cutting of the lead to 14-11, only to have Cotchery march right down the middle of the field on the defense, taking away the crowd and any hopes of a comeback by the players

--the BB call to go for the onside kick, instead of using the 2 timeouts and the 2 min warning to kick the ball deep

--the poor game planning by the coaches, and the entire team in general, with many players coming out and directly saying that they were not prepared for what the NYJ did

-----------

Any of these would come to mind to most of us, even those like myself, who place blame on Brady, yet with the fairness that he deserves.

You are going to ignore all of these key moments, and focus on a guy who had a 65% completion rate, threw for 300 yards, 2 TD's and 1 INT (for the first time in 350 attempts????) Why? Because in your opinion (mine too, just not to your extreme) he looked 'different' thus making him all of a sudden dis-interested? I am sure he was interested, just the same as any other playoff game. The DEN 05 season game could've gone either way had it not been for the Bailey/Watson play. The IND 06 game was highlighted by 2 key TD drops by Caldwell, in a game where Brady put up 34 points--that's your example?

And of course, the 07 SB where we came from behind to take the lead with less than 3 min remaining in a tightly fought defensive game--another poor example. Do you not remember how close we were to winning the 06 AFCCG, and the 07 SB (Manning in the grasp, obvious holding not called, once in a lifetime helmet catch??)

I'll give you a poor TFB performance in the 09 BAL playoff, but again, from the first play on, the whole team looked off.

The "10-0" Tom Brady was helped by 52 other players, as was the past 3 playoff games. If you need him to throw for 400 yards instead of 300, or 3 TD's instead of 'just' 2--then someone else isn't doing their job.

Look, Brady didn't have a great game, not even a 'good' game, but he was still better than many QB's that day, he was 'average.' I'm sure he played just as well as Sanchez did on the winning sideline.

But Sanchez did not make a CRITICAL MISTAKE (Harris INT) that Brady did....not saying Sanchez is a better qb, but he was that night and has been 2/3 last times the teams have played each other...

Last edited:
But Sanchez did not make a CRITICAL MISTAKE (Harris INT) that Brady did....not saying Sanchez is a better qb, but he was that night and has been 2/3 last times the teams have played each other...

Yup, you ARE a Green Beans fan. Your last three posts today on separate threads now confirm. Go away.

Yup, you ARE a Green Beans fan. Your last three posts today on separate threads now confirm. Go away.

Sorry, don't think so. The only teams I can't stand more than the NYJ are the NYY and Les Habitants. I stand by my right to criticize the Pats, Brady specifically, when they don't play well. And, can one argue that their qb has outplayed ours in 2/3 last games? That isn't up for debate. I don't care if Sanchize DBag didn't throw more than one pass over ten yards - maybe that's what the Pats need to get back to. Who the hell knows. Go back and read my other posts, man. Definitely not a NYJ fan. But rather a critical Pats fan/season ticket holder of 18 years (I think, it's been a long time), who's ticked off to the nth degree because he's seen his favorite team piss away their last three (06, 07, 10) fantastic chances at getting #4....

Almost the entire team had an off night. Brady didn't play at his best but neither did the OL, the TEs, most of the D and STs. There were failures at every level. Blaming only Brady is shortsighted.

If that's a more technical way of making the point that Brady "just looked off" after the pick and a few hits in the first quarter, then I agree. He seemed to move down the field like the proverbial knife through butter at the beginning, until the pick, the dropped TD and a few big hits...then even the sideline shots of him roaming around looked bad.

And yes, he's already stood up and taken his share of the blame, but a bunch of other guys didn't make plays either.

Maybe he just lost confidence in his decision making ability. Read the first chapter of Jonah Lehrer's 'How We Decide.' It focuses on Brady during his first superbowl appearance. We've seen that Brady many times, but he seems to have disappeared during the playoffs from the 07 superbowl on. Maybe the curse of the Superbowl loser has gotten into his head, but I doubt it. I believe he'll get that poise and confidence back for the '11 season --if it's played.

Wow, I'm glad you saw the fire and confidence in Brady's eyes that night, because not alot of other people did I can tell you that. I think your anger in your response is more due to the fact that what I stated about our beloved QB was true that night and for some reason this hurts you and it's something you can't accept. Talk about childish.
You are a complete idiot if you think you can gauge Bradys effort by the look you saw in his eyes. Taking the discussion in the direction you just did makes you even more foolish.
There is no anger in my response at all. Just a disdain for the idiocy of trying to make judgment about a players effort by something as stupid as the look yu saw in his eyes.

Nah, he's just a frontrunner resident troll who predicted 10-6 at best for this worst D in BB's history and the QB who hasn't won it all for him in a couple of seasons now. In fact if you check his brief but prolific posting history here this kffl refugee pretty much predicted we'd be out of it by week 6...consistently picking NE to be blownout by such perceived powerhouses as Miami on the road. Then to make him look foolish and go 14-2 apparently sucking this critical thinker in hook, line and sinker only to let him down... That's the kind of season guys like him just can't let go. We lost to the freakin' team he hates although predicted they would be the eventual SB winners because of all their superior talent and Rex's defensive prowess... He loves to call Felger the db then parrots his numbskull mantra about Kraft cheaping out and Brady wimping out.

He's the worst kind of fan...but the kind there is a boatload of in NE these days. The damned if they do and damned if they don't resident malcontent. They never see themselves as that. They take a page out of Felger's book and portray themselves as misunderstood critical thinkers who unlike the rest of us aren't easily hoodwinked into thinking we got something pretty special and unique here that's not worth pissing on to laud the flavor of the month teams, win lose or draw...

thats why its a team game obviously. the patriots defense played very well this year when the patriots put up a **** ton of points. this allowed the d to relax, and play to mainly stop the pass.

im fully expecting the patriots to draft some great OLB, DE, Safety prospects this year though.

Nah, he's just a frontrunner resident troll who predicted 10-6 at best for this worst D in BB's history and the QB who hasn't won it all for him in a couple of seasons now. In fact if you check his brief but prolific posting history here this kffl refugee pretty much predicted we'd be out of it by week 6...consistently picking NE to be blownout by such perceived powerhouses as Miami on the road. Then to make him look foolish and go 14-2 apparently sucking this critical thinker in hook, line and sinker only to let him down... That's the kind of season guys like him just can't let go. We lost to the freakin' team he hates although predicted they would be the eventual SB winners because of all their superior talent and Rex's defensive prowess... He loves to call Felger the db then parrots his numbskull mantra about Kraft cheaping out and Brady wimping out.

He's the worst kind of fan...but the kind there is a boatload of in NE these days. The damned if they do and damned if they don't resident malcontent. They never see themselves as that. They take a page out of Felger's book and portray themselves as misunderstood critical thinkers who unlike the rest of us aren't easily hoodwinked into thinking we got something pretty special and unique here that's not worth pissing on to laud the flavor of the month teams, win lose or draw...
Yup. silly me for being pissed off when one of the four Boston teams (five if you count the Revs, which I unfortunately do because they're terrible now) is so DAMN close to another title on SO MANY occasions only to see it washed away. As a DIE HARD Boston sports fan, I want titles. The Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots have given us fans quite a taste over the last few years and I/we want more.
This Pats team had the talent to win it all this past season (especially compared to the teams that advanced farther than the Pats in the NFL), that's fact, not opinion :D. Sure, they rode an amazing wave of turnovers that was sure to dry up at some point, and I and other fans thought our quarterback could carry the team to victory when that turnover well topped gushing. He didn't and the f#cking NYJ beat the Pats at home and for a few days Pats were laughingstocks in the NFL. It sucked.
Thankfully the Red Sox are right around the corner and they have the talent to win 100 games. The Bruins look decent, but I don't know if they've got what it takes to go all the way, Kaberle trade aside. Hopefully the Celtics can make another deep run and have home court all the way.
I think I admitted i was wrong about this team at some point during the season - maybe you missed it. That's what the killer is - who knows if this team will get "this close" again - #1 seed, 14-2, etc....

I blame the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Yup. silly me for being pissed off when one of the four Boston teams (five if you count the Revs, which I unfortunately do because they're terrible now) is so DAMN close to another title on SO MANY occasions only to see it washed away. As a DIE HARD Boston sports fan, I want titles. The Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots have given us fans quite a taste over the last few years and I/we want more.
This Pats team had the talent to win it all this past season (especially compared to the teams that advanced farther than the Pats in the NFL), that's fact, not opinion :D. Sure, they rode an amazing wave of turnovers that was sure to dry up at some point, and I and other fans thought our quarterback could carry the team to victory when that turnover well topped gushing. He didn't and the f#cking NYJ beat the Pats at home and for a few days Pats were laughingstocks in the NFL. It sucked. That's what the killer is - who knows if this team will get "this close" again - #1 seed, 14-2, etc....

I've been a Pats season ticket holder as long as you (since '94). I think if you take a step back and really look at this past season, the Patriots overachieved their way to the No. 1 seed thanks to superior coaching and QB play. This was a spectacular rebuilding year, and that sums it up for me. We might not see 14-2 again soon, but I think the roster and level of play (especially defensively) stand to improve significantly in the next two years. Losing a playoff game to the Green Beans sucked bad, but you've got to admit they have a roster at least as strong as the Pats overall and a stronger defense. I don't see 2010 as a blown shot at the Super Bowl, but as another big step toward a return to dominance.

This Pats team had the talent to win it all this past season (especially compared to the teams that advanced farther than the Pats in the NFL), that's fact, not opinion :D. Sure, they rode an amazing wave of turnovers that was sure to dry up at some point, and I and other fans thought our quarterback could carry the team to victory when that turnover well topped gushing. He didn't and the f#cking NYJ beat the Pats at home and for a few days Pats were laughingstocks in the NFL. It sucked.
Thankfully the Red Sox are right around the corner and they have the talent to win 100 games. The Bruins look decent, but I don't know if they've got what it takes to go all the way, Kaberle trade aside. Hopefully the Celtics can make another deep run and have home court all the way.
I think I admitted i was wrong about this team at some point during the season - maybe you missed it. That's what the killer is - who knows if this team will get "this close" again - #1 seed, 14-2, etc....

Another victim of entitlement syndrome. I want more...WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As for 14-2, they've only done it three times in this decade so obviously they probably won't get close ever again... 12-4 and 11-5 aren't all that bad either except in the process when they portent doom and gloom here as does most everything here... Heck, 16-0 wasn't all that enjoyable considering we almost lost a couple of close games along the way...yet by pulling those out set the bandwaggon up for the agony of defeat.

Many of you are so freakin' self absorbed and focused on how this team makes you feel or look to other idiots whose opinion apparently matters. You should take a page out of Belichick's book. Maybe Tom should too. Brady won't even appear in a Pro Bowl following a season ending loss. Belichick went to Honolulu and told anyone who asked that while it's disappointing to lose in the post season after a 14-2 season, particularly to the JETS, coaching the pro bowl was a nice consolation for himself and the players and his staff and if you can't play in the last game of the season he'd just as soon be in Hawaii...

And you pretty clearly stated this was not a particularly talented team heading into the season and predicted doom at most every juncture while insisting the JETS obviously were infinitely superior talent wise. So if you are changing your tune now all that means is you really don't remotely know what you're talking about most of the time but that isn't going to stop you from blathering on because your a typically inferior Boston sports fan with a superiority complex.

I kind of go with Brady's oft-stated view on how the NFL post season unfolds; teams "end up where they belong." That said, I hardly think the Pats are "laughingstocks" anywhere, yet alone among knowledgeable fans of the NFL. We have to stop taking the attitude that, because they have an idiot for an owner, an annoying (and lucky) overachiever for a QB and a fat blow-hard for a coach, that the Jets still suck like they did a few years ago. They don't. They're a very good team and they beat us two out of three this year. Saying anything else is just excuses.

Super Bowls aren't won by teams that "[have] the talent to win it all," they are won by teams that have the talent that year to win three or four games that year under the toughest conditions that year and against the toughest competition that year. Sometimes that's the best team of all. Sometimes it isn't. No matter how we cut it, that team wasn't "us" last year.

As for the Pats, I think they more than have the talent and hunger to "get this close" again and that they will do so next season, assuming Brady's health and a resolution to the CBA issues.

Last edited:
It's both hilarious and ironic that the whiners predict doom prior to each season, predict doom during the season, and then claim the patriots underperformed when they exceded their expectations but don't win it all. The Patriots have been the best franchise in football under Belichik and their wins, division titles, conference championships, and Super Bowl wins demonstrate that, yet the same people who claim winning is the only measurable ignore this and try to make arguments that he drafts poorly or doesn't manage personel properly, or is cheap and won't pay good players, which, if true, would undermine his ability to win the way they clearly have. When they are called out on this they then try to claim that those who appreciate everything Belichik and this franchise have achieved are just a bunch of homer ballwashers and they are just clearheaded critical thinkers, yet they can't come to terms with the simple fact that this is the best team in football if not the best franchise in all of professional sports, and their achievments prove that. Truth is, as many have pointed out, they are unhappy glass is always half full fans who will always see the worst no matter what is achieved.

Agreed, its just that when your paying Brady more than any other player in the history of the NFL, at any position, come playoff time, your hoping for a little more than you got.

Ding Ding Ding. The entire oline needs help, specifically the interior. As important as Mankins can be, I'd had no qualms trading him for a pick to move up in the draft and get a elite caliber center. Tackles>Center>Guard in the hierarchy of Oline, and as long as Koppen us getting man handled by just about every DT in the league, Mankins value to is isn't as high.

Cannot blame 1 person for the loss. But, the OL has done poorly during playoffs (2007 SB, where giants trounced the OL). The OL cannot step-up to the next level, for some reason.

I do think they need to upgrade their OL. Brady does not seem to be mr.-cool, anymore. He use to not get rattled..

Yep - no question. In the big games when teams throw everything they've got at the OLine, they haven't handled themselves well.

Seems to me that speedrushers have their way with Matt Light and its going to get worse, not better. Vollmer hasn't yet been able to displace him overall but I have to think he might do better than Light against a speedrushing opponent.

I really have no question about them using a 1st round pick on a lineman - potentially someone who can be a solid LT for years to come.

Another victim of entitlement syndrome. I want more...WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As for 14-2, they've only done it three times in this decade so obviously they probably won't get close ever again... 12-4 and 11-5 aren't all that bad either except in the process when they portent doom and gloom here as does most everything here... Heck, 16-0 wasn't all that enjoyable considering we almost lost a couple of close games along the way...yet by pulling those out set the bandwaggon up for the agony of defeat.

Many of you are so freakin' self absorbed and focused on how this team makes you feel or look to other idiots whose opinion apparently matters. You should take a page out of Belichick's book. Maybe Tom should too. Brady won't even appear in a Pro Bowl following a season ending loss. Belichick went to Honolulu and told anyone who asked that while it's disappointing to lose in the post season after a 14-2 season, particularly to the JETS, coaching the pro bowl was a nice consolation for himself and the players and his staff and if you can't play in the last game of the season he'd just as soon be in Hawaii...

And you pretty clearly stated this was not a particularly talented team heading into the season and predicted doom at most every juncture while insisting the JETS obviously were infinitely superior talent wise. So if you are changing your tune now all that means is you really don't remotely know what you're talking about most of the time but that isn't going to stop you from blathering on because your a typically inferior Boston sports fan with a superiority complex.
Defensive and testy and accusatory today, eh???? :rolleyes:

It's both hilarious and ironic that the whiners predict doom prior to each season, predict doom during the season, and then claim the patriots underperformed when they exceded their expectations but don't win it all. The Patriots have been the best franchise in football under Belichik and their wins, division titles, conference championships, and Super Bowl wins demonstrate that, yet the same people who claim winning is the only measurable ignore this and try to make arguments that he drafts poorly or doesn't manage personel properly, or is cheap and won't pay good players, which, if true, would undermine his ability to win the way they clearly have. When they are called out on this they then try to claim that those who appreciate everything Belichik and this franchise have achieved are just a bunch of homer ballwashers and they are just clearheaded critical thinkers, yet they can't come to terms with the simple fact that this is the best team in football if not the best franchise in all of professional sports, and their achievments prove that. Truth is, as many have pointed out, they are unhappy glass is always half full fans who will always see the worst no matter what is achieved.

About sums this thread and several of it's posters up to a T.

I've been a Pats season ticket holder as long as you (since '94). I think if you take a step back and really look at this past season, the Patriots overachieved their way to the No. 1 seed thanks to superior coaching and QB play. This was a spectacular rebuilding year, and that sums it up for me. We might not see 14-2 again soon, but I think the roster and level of play (especially defensively) stand to improve significantly in the next two years. Losing a playoff game to the Green Beans sucked bad, but you've got to admit they have a roster at least as strong as the Pats overall and a stronger defense. I don't see 2010 as a blown shot at the Super Bowl, but as another big step toward a return to dominance.

I certainly hope you're right...

“I’ll say this, the Patriots receivers were open a majority of the game, especially those last couple drives."

Ok, I'll play. The "last couple of drives" produced this line for Brady:

10-14 (71.4%), 85 yds, 1 td, 0 int, 10 points, 2:49 elapsed

If that's when his receivers were primarily open, then, um, he kind of did find them. Scoring 10 points in less than 3 minutes, completing over 70% of your passes....not sure what more one could want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back