PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady blamed for Playoff loss to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is Earth-shattering. There were really open receivers in the game Brady passed for 299 yards? Especially late in the game, when we were scoring?
We moved the ball well thoughout the game, the problem was on DECISIVE plays that ended drives and in most of those cases there were not open receivers to throw to.

Couldn't agree more. I hope these type of reports go away quickly, they mean little. Brady is a brilliant QB and unfortunately had a mediocre day.
When Brees was blowing games with 3-4 pick sixes against the Cardinals and Browns, our defense stood up to helped. Only allowing 1 TD in both games.

I might be wrong, but I don't remember the defense or SP making such an effort, and it's a team sport to me. The whole team lost that game not Tom.
I really think they only had the opportunity to be in that game is because of Brady, and good team play.

bad coaching. Brady played less then great but the fact is the jets came in to new england and just out played and out coached the pats

Wow, this is Earth-shattering. There were really open receivers in the game Brady passed for 299 yards? Especially late in the game, when we were scoring?
We moved the ball well thoughout the game, the problem was on DECISIVE plays that ended drives and in most of those cases there were not open receivers to throw to.

I agree Andy, especially with the fact that most games can be won or lost on a handful of plays. It was the decisive plays where something went wrong, where Brady missed the open man, or where Crumpler dropped the TD, Welker dropped the TD, Branch is called for the false start ruining our momentum, Chung bobbles the ball, etc.

All of these plays, including the huge downfield gain to Cotchery that seemed to be the straw the broke the camel's back, were huge, and did not go our way. These are a lot of key things that didn't have anything to do with Tom.

That said, Brady threw for a 65% completion rate, 300 yards, and had a 2-1 TD to pick ratio. It's understandable that stats don't always tell the story, but some posters on here are acting like he threw 3 or 4 INT's, and just played horrible--I don't really agree personally. Besides the bad pick on the screen set up, and some missed looks to wide receivers (which happens, even for TFB), I am not ready to put the blame directly on his shoulders. No one played all that well, and they just didn't get the job done that day.

I do agree that his spirit seemed different, and he looked rattled to me, that is the one thing that I would wish differently. The other things he did will happen, and we cannot always expect him to play over the top against a very good game plan and defense--which the NYJ implemented very decently in my opinion. I think it had a lot to do with a combo of the good game plan and sufficient defense of the NYJ, the missed plays and mistakes by our other players, AND Brady not playing as well as he usually does.

The blame should be spread around, although Tom's demeanor is what bothered me. Besides that, I feel that these continued articles picking on Brady aren't very fair--that's just my opinion. At the end of the day, I want Brady every single time.

bad coaching. Brady played less then great but the fact is the jets came in to new england and just out played and out coached the pats

Yep, I agree that he played as you say 'less than great,' and I think it's a positive sign that he stood up and immediately took the majority of the blame, but I think that some of these mediots and posters are overlooking the fact that it takes a full game of starters and backups, coaching, preparation, and a couple of good bounces here and there--we didn't get those on that specific day.

I am extremely happy with the chance to compete every year, especially when you consider that this was thought of as a bit of a rebuilding year etc. The playoff loss still stings, but I'm not sure it's all about Tom Brady.

You have one of the greatest QB'ing seasons in a long time, and everyone stands there and asks "What have you done for me lately?" It doesn't seem totally fair--and I don't care if he makes 100 million a yr/ or 1 dollar a yr.

To dominate the regular season the way he did and then to take on a confused, "deer in the headlights" look in the biggest game of the year when it meant the most was the most frustrating. Had he gone down fighting, yelling and screaming similar to what we saw in the Pitt game would be one thing, but to just see this zombie-look on his face after he was hit a couple of times and after his ill-advised throw to David Harris isn't what you want to see from the highest paid player in football. I would of liked to see him chewing out some asses on the sidelines instead of him getting Reche Caldwell-eyes, ducking in the pocket when no one was near him and wandering around in total glum on the sidelines all by himself. It was baffling to see his demeanor when it counted the most against the team and coach that we despise the most.

Brady was definetly a big part of the loss. Coaching didn't help either.

To dominate the regular season the way he did and then to take on a confused, "deer in the headlights" look in the biggest game of the year when it meant the most was the most frustrating. Had he gone down fighting, yelling and screaming similar to what we saw in the Pitt game would be one thing, but to just see this zombie-look on his face after he was hit a couple of times and after his ill-advised throw to David Harris isn't what you want to see from the highest paid player in football. I would of liked to see him chewing out some asses on the sidelines instead of him getting Reche Caldwell-eyes, ducking in the pocket when no one was near him and wandering around in total glum on the sidelines all by himself. It was baffling to see his demeanor when it counted the most against the team and coach that we despise the most.
So now you are trying to tell me that you could tell by the look on his face and the infamous body language that he just didnt care.
I'm sorry I already typed a response because that doesnt deserve one.
I get it that your feelings were hurt by the loss, get over it. Trashing Brady because you think you saw it in his eyes, is a childish way to deal with your disappointment.

Brady is a great QB and will someday be mentioned beside the all time greatest ever but there is one thing Brady is not good enough to do.

He CANNOT carry a team on his shoulders to a SB title and we will never see another championship in the near future until he gets help.

Brady didn't do it on his own in 01 03 or 04 and he won't do ever again until the defense becomes Super Bowl caliber.

I don't care how good he is,we ain't winning anything until the defense becomes MUCH better.

Choking and not playing well are two totally different things.

Agreed. Choking is when someone who is awesome at something, when placed under great pressure, dramatically under performs, and fails.

I think Brady played just as well in the playoffs this year as he did in the regular season ! Same as in 2007 ! Same as last year. There is no drop off in his performance when the big games come. He played like an MVP in the 2007 and 2010 regular seasons and was just as good in the playoffs.

And furthermore, his receivers never get open, he needs a better running game, the Patriots need a new offensive line, not to mention an offensive coordinator.

Also, he had a bad shoulder, knee, foot, and finger. And don't even dare to hint that he doesn't spend as many hours preparing his body to last through the long NFL season, as he did when he was younger, cause there are gyms on the West coast to ya know.

And for those of you who say that defenses can drop 7 or 8 into coverages now that Brady has lost his mobility. This also is not true. I know for a fact Brady is faster now, than when he was a rookie, the NFL now grows their artificial turf fields higher in a conspiracy to make Brady look slower.

Brady is a great QB and will someday be mentioned beside the all time greatest ever but there is one thing Brady is not good enough to do.

He CANNOT carry a team on his shoulders to a SB title and we will never see another championship in the near future until he gets help.

Brady didn't do it on his own in 01 03 or 04 and he won't do ever again until the defense becomes Super Bowl caliber.

I don't care how good he is,we ain't winning anything until the defense becomes MUCH better.

The development of the young guys, + added talent via the draft will certainly help. They have to improve the 3rd down situations, and cause some more havoc towards the QB, even if the result isn't dramatic in increased sacks. I like to think that as long as we're a competitive defense, top 14-16, that we certainly have a chance with the talent on the other side of the ball.

Turnovers and overall points allowed (8th overall) were 2 positives, not to mention the fact that a lot of key guys went down, particularly with the line at the end.

So now you are trying to tell me that you could tell by the look on his face and the infamous body language that he just didnt care.
I'm sorry I already typed a response because that doesnt deserve one.
I get it that your feelings were hurt by the loss, get over it. Trashing Brady because you think you saw it in his eyes, is a childish way to deal with your disappointment.

Wow, I'm glad you saw the fire and confidence in Brady's eyes that night, because not alot of other people did I can tell you that. I think your anger in your response is more due to the fact that what I stated about our beloved QB was true that night and for some reason this hurts you and it's something you can't accept. Talk about childish.

Brady deserves blame and so do 52 other players, along with X amount of coaches.

I agree with the sentiment that Brady deserves more of the blame than say 'Matthew Slater' because (1) he is a veteran leader (2) he touches the ball more than any other player (3) his salary (4) expectation.

Brady deserves blame and so do 52 other players, along with X amount of coaches.

I agree with the sentiment that Brady deserves more of the blame than say 'Matthew Slater' because (1) he is a veteran leader (2) he touches the ball more than any other player (3) his salary (4) expectation.

No doubt that Brady wasn't on his game, but we'll probably never know the reason why he also appeared to be relatively disinterested/disgusted or whatever it was when the playoff floodlights were turned on. That's what intrigues me and it's a legitimate question to ask given all the circumstances.

People need to realize you cannot criticize Tom Brady on this forum. If you do, you will incur the wrath of very defensive Patriots fans on this site, some might use the term "footy pajama Patriot fans" to describe them.
Tom Brady was awful in that game, period. He's the reason the team wins - he gets all the glory when they win (in most cases) and SHOULD get all the blame when they lose (in most cases).
What happened to the Tom Brady of the SB against Carolina???? I want that guy, and I really that we had him back this season. But he turned back into the Brady we first began to see in Denver in the 2005 playoffs (Champ Bailoey game)....Let's hope the real Tom Brady returns...but wait, what's the real Brady - the one of the last three playoff games or the one who started out 10-0 in the playoffs??????

People need to realize you cannot criticize Tom Brady on this forum. If you do, you will incur the wrath of very defensive Patriots fans on this site, some might use the term "footy pajama Patriot fans" to describe them.
Tom Brady was awful in that game, period. He's the reason the team wins - he gets all the glory when they win (in most cases) and SHOULD get all the blame when they lose (in most cases).
What happened to the Tom Brady of the SB against Carolina???? I want that guy, and I really that we had him back this season. But he turned back into the Brady we first began to see in Denver in the 2005 playoffs (Champ Bailoey game)....Let's hope the real Tom Brady returns...but wait, what's the real Brady - the one of the last three playoff games or the one who started out 10-0 in the playoffs??????

With much respect to you and your opinion, that's a bit harsh.

As we've already gone over:

--how about the drop by Crumpler in the endzone?

--the Welker drop for the TD?

--the bobbled snap fake punt that changed to the entire outcome of the game from 7-3 at the half to 14-3 at the half? That gave them all the confidence in the world and the momentum heading into the all important break

--the momentum shifting false start on Branch, not to mention his possibility of mis-timing on another key throw or two

--the cutting of the lead to 14-11, only to have Cotchery march right down the middle of the field on the defense, taking away the crowd and any hopes of a comeback by the players

--the BB call to go for the onside kick, instead of using the 2 timeouts and the 2 min warning to kick the ball deep

--the poor game planning by the coaches, and the entire team in general, with many players coming out and directly saying that they were not prepared for what the NYJ did

-----------

Any of these would come to mind to most of us, even those like myself, who place blame on Brady, yet with the fairness that he deserves.

You are going to ignore all of these key moments, and focus on a guy who had a 65% completion rate, threw for 300 yards, 2 TD's and 1 INT (for the first time in 350 attempts????) Why? Because in your opinion (mine too, just not to your extreme) he looked 'different' thus making him all of a sudden dis-interested? I am sure he was interested, just the same as any other playoff game. The DEN 05 season game could've gone either way had it not been for the Bailey/Watson play. The IND 06 game was highlighted by 2 key TD drops by Caldwell, in a game where Brady put up 34 points--that's your example?

And of course, the 07 SB where we came from behind to take the lead with less than 3 min remaining in a tightly fought defensive game--another poor example. Do you not remember how close we were to winning the 06 AFCCG, and the 07 SB (Manning in the grasp, obvious holding not called, once in a lifetime helmet catch??)

I'll give you a poor TFB performance in the 09 BAL playoff, but again, from the first play on, the whole team looked off.

The "10-0" Tom Brady was helped by 52 other players, as was the past 3 playoff games. If you need him to throw for 400 yards instead of 300, or 3 TD's instead of 'just' 2--then someone else isn't doing their job.

Look, Brady didn't have a great game, not even a 'good' game, but he was still better than many QB's that day, he was 'average.' I'm sure he played just as well as Sanchez did on the winning sideline.

Last edited:
Brady was crap, special teams were crap, the defense was average and the Patriots were out coached. It's really that simple.

Totally agree with you here, good point.

No doubt that Brady wasn't on his game, but we'll probably never know the reason why he also appeared to be relatively disinterested/disgusted or whatever it was when the playoff floodlights were turned on. That's what intrigues me and it's a legitimate question to ask given all the circumstances.

Certainly a fair question, although he still played good enough to win with some more help--at least in my opinion. 1 INT and some missed throws here and there shouldn't make him accountable for the whole team (not that you're saying that is the case)

I agree that he did look out of sorts at times, no doubt.

Not only did Brady not play lights out. He played poorly. Click on the link. "anyone else on the offense" as you say, didn't all play poorly. As the game tape was reviewed, it is learned that the receivers were doing there job and getting open, "often wide open".

Wha?

Crumpler dropped a TD pass and so did Welker. There were throws that Brady missed and throws where the WR was in the wrong spot. Wood**** fumbled. NE didnt pick up a blitz on a Brady sack. Wide Open? Who was wide open?

The whole team played poorly.

Wow, I'm glad you saw the fire and confidence in Brady's eyes that night, because not alot of other people did I can tell you that. I think your anger in your response is more due to the fact that what I stated about our beloved QB was true that night and for some reason this hurts you and it's something you can't accept. Talk about childish.

IMO, Brady was sick.

I could see it in his eyes. He looked like he didnt sleep at all and they were all red. There was a bad sinus flu going around the country. I had it and could not breathe or sleep. Im guessing thats what he had too.

Pregame, Brady was sniffing ammonia or whatever out of a cup. Ive never seen him do that in 10 years.

Players get credit for wins and coaching gets criticized in losses.

Seriously - why do fans feel a need to place blame when there is a loss. Is it too much to acknowledge that the Jet's played a very excellent game? It's not like they are devoid of talent. They made few mistakes and had no turnovers. We were winning many games due to creating turnovers - they took that away from us - to me that was the key to their win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back