PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady blamed for Playoff loss to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference in being open and being open where you were supposed to be in a read and react defense. There was "confusion" as some apparently acknowledged on pre and post snap reads. Brady and his receivers either weren't always on the same page or the defense crossed them all up by changing what they did pre and post snap look wise...

Maybe some (all) of these analysts who actually did play didn't play in a read and react system...

And the simple fact remains that every time we appeared poised to close the gap, someone either dropped the ball or allowed the JETS to widen it yet again...

If that's a more technical way of making the point that Brady "just looked off" after the pick and a few hits in the first quarter, then I agree. He seemed to move down the field like the proverbial knife through butter at the beginning, until the pick, the dropped TD and a few big hits...then even the sideline shots of him roaming around looked bad.

And yes, he's already stood up and taken his share of the blame, but a bunch of other guys didn't make plays either.

Agreed. No single person is to blame for the loss. However we know for a fact that neither Brady or the offense played to the level that they are capable of. With that said, Brady has had a number of playoff games in which he was not even at best, average, but won anyway because of the defense.

Speaking about the defense, they did not exactly distinguish themselves vs the NYJ.

It was a team loss with the blame pie being divided up equally.

And both this offense and defense have had a number of playoff games in which neither was remotely above average but won anyway because of coaching and scheme and preparation. This is the first time in a decade I can recall MULTIPLE players on offense saying the exact same thing immediately post game...we weren't prepared for what the JETS defense presented...

He was in pain... You never know what hit may have made it worse. He definitely did not have the spirit he had in the Pitt or blowout Jets game.

Please...if he was injured he should have taken himself out.
I don't really believe injury had that much to do with his poor performance. I think he left too much on table and I'd rather see him give it all and get carted off and not be available for a postgame presser or Coffee with the Quarterback. Instead, he milked the play clock for no good reason and was able to walk off at game's end with all of us wondering "WTF just happened?" Then we find out a few days later he had a bum foot.

We blamed the poor offensive performance (indirectly Brady) in the 2007 SB on his ankle.
We blamed the 2009 Baltimore debacle on ribs.
Now we can blame the 2010 playoff embarrassment to the Jets on his foot.
Let's not stop there, surely we can find reasons for his game-ending/changing picks in Indy 2006 AFCCG and 2005 Mile High.

Like Brady2Welker said early in this thread: Tom is human. He is perfectly capable of under performing...unfortunately, it is happened at the most inopportune times over the past 6 years.

Crumpler dropped a sure TD in the endzone. Branch dropped a fourth down pass that would have been a first down. Chung fumbled a snap on a fake punt. If one of these three plays worked, we would be talking a different story. This is old news. I think it is ridiculous to pile on Brady a month after the fact. The Patriots would not have been in the position they were in if not for Brady.

Brady is as responsible for the Patriots loss as Trent Dilfer was responsible for the Raven's SB win in 2000.

With the exception of Drew Brees vs. Seattle, which playoff quarterback was not blamed for the team's loss this year?

I would not blame P. Manning for the Jets loss. He played to the tune of a 109 QB rating compared to the 62 the Sanchez put up.
Certainly our D deserves some blame for letting look like Montana the following week in Foxboro.

Please...if he was injured he should have taken himself out.
I don't really believe injury had that much to do with his poor performance. I think he left too much on table and I'd rather see him give it all and get carted off and not be available for a postgame presser or Coffee with the Quarterback. Instead, he milked the play clock for no good reason and was able to walk off at game's end with all of us wondering "WTF just happened?" Then we find out a few days later he had a bum foot.

We blamed the poor offensive performance (indirectly Brady) in the 2007 SB on his ankle.
We blamed the 2009 Baltimore debacle on ribs.
Now we can blame the 2010 playoff embarrassment to the Jets on his foot.
Let's not stop there, surely we can find reasons for his game-ending/changing picks in Indy 2006 AFCCG and 2005 Mile High.

Like Brady2Welker said early in this thread: Tom is human. He is perfectly capable of under performing...unfortunately, it is happened at the most inopportune times over the past 6 years.

Only if the "we" you're referring to are the idiots among us...

His ankle had nothing to do with his OL getting beaten like a rented mule in 2007. He brought them back in that one with 2 minutes left to confetti time...

His ribs had nothing to do with the front 7 getting run over out the gate in the Baltimore game...

And how quickly we forget the incomparable Reche Caldwell and whoever was covering for Harrison's performance when staked to a three score lead and Kevin Faulk and Ellis Hobbs and even Troy Brown's fumbilitis from 2006 and 2005. Heck that Denver game was the highlight of Watson's career, although lost in the shuffle was the fact that his missed block on that play was also the lowlight that led to a pick 6.

And FWIW, I'd rather lose any game than ever see him carted off the field.

Brady wasn't great, neither was anyone else on the offense. That's why he was the MVP, because if he doesn't play lights out the team goes down in flames.

Well said man i completely agree

I think it is ridiculous to pile on Brady a month after the fact. The Patriots would not have been in the position they were in if not for Brady.
Well said. We lost. **** happens. We didn't play to our potential. To start putting the boot into TB six weeks after the event is beyond a joke. Without Tom we don't even make the post season.

Anyone who has sat behind a QB from the end zone perspective knows that QBs do not see the whole field, and that the tape should not be judged by who was open etc. It should be judged according to the plays called, the order of reads, etc. QBs cannot see the whole field. That's why there's such a thing as passing lanes. The whole passing game is orchestrated to have defenders move out of particular passing lanes. If the opponent is playing cover 2, and you know you'll be targeting the middle, then of course your OL will fan out the oncoming rush. The point is, from up top, you can always find open receivers, but it's just as obvious when you're sitting behind a QB that they can't see all the guys coming open.

Take the first play of the Bills game at Buffalo. Gronkowski was a wide open as you can possibly be, he blew by his man. Obviously, he wasn't #1 on that play because, one, he was behind defenders who were blocking Brady's view, and when Brady noticed him seconds after he had a 10 yard cushion on the guy covering him, Brady was so shocked he underthrew the ball. Incomplete.

That loss is on all of them, starting with the coaches and going right on down to the last man on the field that day. they played poorly and deserved to lose. So be it, when you are in the play-offs every year you will suffer more tough losses than Super Bowl victories, but you will also win more Super Bowls than pretty much any other team. You have to take the bad with the good and that's simply the way it is.

I'm still at a shock how poor he did play after the season he had, which I thought was more impressive than his 2007 considering the circumstances. The blame does go around for the loss but #12 will be the first to admit he gets the biggest share, hopefully he bounces back next time.

There is a difference in being open and being open where you were supposed to be in a read and react defense. There was "confusion" as some apparently acknowledged on pre and post snap reads. Brady and his receivers either weren't always on the same page or the defense crossed them all up by changing what they did pre and post snap look wise...

Maybe some (all) of these analysts who actually did play didn't play in a read and react system...

"Read and React" is a defensive term for a 2 gap defense. I think you meant "Sight Adjustments" or "Sight Adjust".

Brady played like crap.The OL didnt play well but it wasnt the main reason that the offense stunk!If this team goes 1 and done next year in the playoffs with TB, there will be question marks if Brady is a big time QB come playoffs time.They will say he doesnt have it anymore.

yeah brady choked, but it's the past. let's move on.

Tom was awful against the Jets. He deserves a lot of the blame for that preposterous result.

My sense is that for some reason Tom is putting inordinate pressure on himself during the post-season. I could be wrong, of course.

In any event, he was quite bad against NY. As others have said, I bet he'd agree.

I don't really find this shocking, he had a few really off passes to open wide outs. It happens. Hopefully not next year.

Wow, this is Earth-shattering. There were really open receivers in the game Brady passed for 299 yards? Especially late in the game, when we were scoring?
We moved the ball well thoughout the game, the problem was on DECISIVE plays that ended drives and in most of those cases there were not open receivers to throw to.

yeah brady choked, but it's the past. let's move on.
Tom Brady has never choked, he never will and to suggest that he did is utter nonsense. He played like crap, particularly in the second half.
The term "choked" is thrown around much too easily by people who don't really know what it means. Playing poorly is not always choking, any more than playing well in pressure situations is not always coming through in the clutch. There are loads of factors which come into play in every game, most of which have nothing to do with choking or coming through in the clutch. Did Montana "choke" when he lost 2 or 3 home play-off games in the first round in the mid-80s in successive years? Or did he just play poorly?
Anyone who suggests that this team would be better off without Brady and/or Belichick is a freaking idiot. Honestly, I'm not into castigating others, but sometimes the posts here from so-called fans are embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes