PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: at times ‘I don’t think we fight very hard’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone wants to see that Brady come back, me included. I actually dont think hes been making bad decisions, he just isnt executing with his throws.

Brady has had a kid before and I think he handled the pressure just fine. Does an average man with a pregnant wife, perform poorly at their job? I think this is just people searching for an excuse.

His other kid wasn't born during the season and he wasn't married to the mother. You ever had a kid? At times, your job is the last thing on your mind.

He has thrown for over 300 yards in 6 out of his last 7 games, and 16 TDs. I dont know what you expect from Brady. Yes hes made some poor throws, but every QB in the league does, you cant expect perfection all the time.

I agree that there is something amiss about Brady. His mind is not in the game.

His other kid wasn't born during the season and he wasn't married to the mother. You ever had a kid? At times, your job is the last thing on your mind.

Are you seriously blaming Brady's inconsistent play this year because of his wife being pregnant with their kid? You would think your job, especially playing football would take your mind off of having a kid. There are so many athletes whose wives are pregnant and have kids during their seasons, but is their play effected? Perfect example right now with Ray Allen and his son being sick, his play hasnt been effected.

People are just looking for excuses for Brady. Early in the year it was that his knee was still an issue, which for the 1st few weeks could have been true, but not after week 3 or 4. Now it is that his wife is pregnant, why is everyone coming up with excuses for him? Just admit the fact that he isnt playing well and not come up with lame excuses.

I want back the Brady who doesn't make turnovers during crunchtime and who leads his team down the field to win a game with an attack of short to medium range passes. He is throwing too many bombs, throwing into too much coverage and making too many poor decisions lately.

Physically he looks ok, mentally something is up. Having a pregnant wife and kid on the way weighs a lot on a guy's mind, why would he be any different? He's human.

Give him the weapons and reasonable protection and you'd have that result. He's still the same guy, he's just being asked to perform under impossible conditions. Constant pressure up the middle by 3 and 4 man rushes collapsing his pocket and forcing early throws, no time to find third and fourth options that really don't exist, TE's being held in to block consistently because the OL can't handle squat on it's own, a multimillionaire WR who can't beat the jam or double coverage or even quality single coverage by guys giving up 6 inches, Welker being slowly taken away by teams who realize they can double him too given the lack of alternatives and the ease with which they can pressure the QB as the game winds down. After losing a year of his career to injury he came back fully prepared to avenge that 1 loss in his last season only to find it wasn't some fluke...

He's disgusted, and he should be. I've noticed he and Moss spend less and less time talking on the sidelines. In fact the last time I noticed Moss talking to him Tom seemed to be barely listening. It took a little time for him to trust Moss in 2007 but over several weeks he convinced Brady he could catch any ball in any circumstance. Then suddenly he couldn't and Brady literally force fed him that record. He was largely MIA in the post season. 3 games, 7 receptions, 94 yards, 1 TD. The next pass Brady threw to him he dropped, wide open for no reason. It was the play on which Brady's 2008 season ended, an incomplete to Moss on 3rd down. Brady has fought to try and find some formula to revive what they had working for 3 months in 2007. Moss not so much. The OL not at all.

Would be great to go back to the days of throwing to the open receiver if he had the time, or if we had any besides Welker.

That's crap. He's fine aside from absorbing the same physical abuse he's been dealing with for one reason or another since 2005. He was likely looking forward to not playing hurt for once, but that was short lived since his OL had other plans for his return to duty, more of the same. And then there's the problem of trying to keep Moss involved even as he can't get open deep consistently or won't fight for receptions in coverage. Now they're taking Welker away and even impacting the screens and it's not like we have viable options even if he had time to locate them or as if we can run the ball with authority when all else fails. That's what's amiss.

Despite it all he's statistically on pace for at least as good if not a better season than in any of his championship seasons. What's amiss is that ****amamie fans somehow find it easier to nitpick and question his performance than anything else on this offense not named Maroney...

Give him the weapons and reasonable protection and you'd have that result. He's still the same guy, he's just being asked to perform under impossible conditions. Constant pressure up the middle by 3 and 4 man rushes collapsing his pocket and forcing early throws, no time to find third and fourth options that really don't exist, TE's being held in to block consistently because the OL can't handle squat on it's own, a multimillionaire WR who can't beat the jam or double coverage or even quality single coverage by guys giving up 6 inches, Welker being slowly taken away by teams who realize they can double him too given the lack of alternatives and the ease with which they can pressure the QB as the game winds down. After losing a year of his career to injury he came back fully prepared to avenge that 1 loss in his last season only to find it wasn't some fluke...

He's disgusted, and he should be. I've noticed he and Moss spend less and less time talking on the sidelines. In fact the last time I noticed Moss talking to him Tom seemed to be barely listening. It took a little time for him to trust Moss in 2007 but over several weeks he convinced Brady he could catch any ball in any circumstance. Then suddenly he couldn't and Brady literally force fed him that record. He was largely MIA in the post season. 3 games, 7 receptions, 94 yards, 1 TD. The next pass Brady threw to him he dropped, wide open for no reason. It was the play on which Brady's 2008 season ended, an incomplete to Moss on 3rd down. Brady has fought to try and find some formula to revive what they had working for 3 months in 2007. Moss not so much. The OL not at all.

Would be great to go back to the days of throwing to the open receiver if he had the time, or if we had any besides Welker.

Well I won't argue with that. The OL sucks. My question is why it was sufficient for most of 2007 when he was setting records? It's the same group of guys. Did the Giants really expose something that no one before had ever thought of? I always thought it was because the Giants just had an exceptional DL, but it seems like every team gets pressure on Brady now.

I still think Vollmer at LT and Light at RT and Kaczur on the bench would help some. I'd like to see some high draft picks spent on the OL as well.

The Pats have never had a "great" OL the past 8 years but it was enough to win 3 SB's. I just don't get how they have become so bad. What has changed?

That's crap. He's fine aside from absorbing the same physical abuse he's been dealing with for one reason or another since 2005. He was likely looking forward to not playing hurt for once, but that was short lived since his OL had other plans for his return to duty, more of the same. And then there's the problem of trying to keep Moss involved even as he can't get open deep consistently or won't fight for receptions in coverage. Now they're taking Welker away and even impacting the screens and it's not like we have viable options even if he had time to locate them or as if we can run the ball with authority when all else fails. That's what's amiss.

Despite it all he's statistically on pace for at least as good if not a better season than in any of his championship seasons. What's amiss is that ****amamie fans somehow find it easier to nitpick and question his performance than anything else on this offense not named Maroney...

I think you can do better than saying "that's crap."

You can take the numbers, I'll take the fact that he's not finishing games. His 2nd half performances have been a consistent nosedive. That is very uncharacteristic of Brady. We've been 6-4 when leading at the half, as opposed to 62-2 in the past few years. That is not an anomaly.

I am not saying this is long-term. It's easily correctable. But for me, his heart is not in the game, period.

Last edited:
Well I won't argue with that. The OL sucks. My question is why it was sufficient for most of 2007 when he was setting records? It's the same group of guys. Did the Giants really expose something that no one before had ever thought of? I always thought it was because the Giants just had an exceptional DL, but it seems like every team gets pressure on Brady now.

I still think Vollmer at LT and Light at RT and Kaczur on the bench would help some. I'd like to see some high draft picks spent on the OL as well.

The Pats have never had a "great" OL the past 8 years but it was enough to win 3 SB's. I just don't get how they have become so bad. What has changed?

they all have been hurt to start with other than mankins.Thats a start.

This is what he said about the RZ INT. interesting comments

The other red zone turnover was when Brady lobbed a ball to Randy Moss, only to have it picked off by Vontae Davis in the end zone in the fourth quarter.

“You throw it up there and hope Randy comes down with it but the other guy did.” Brady said. ”We had some chances inside the five yard line, inside the 10-yard line and didn’t capitalize. We have to find a better way to play for 60 minutes.”

i dont think so. Pre 2007 brady played plenty bad games. We won games with scores of 9-6. He is not playing well just like some of the others arent. Thats all. We dont have to go through the body language routine like 2006

i dont think so. Pre 2007 brady played plenty bad games. We won games with scores of 9-6. He is not playing well just like some of the others arent. Thats all. We dont have to go through the body language routine like 2006

I've given my arguments why I think it is so. He is just not finishing drives in the 2nd half.

It's everyone else's fault.

Seriously people, there are a lot of guys who aren't quite performing up to expectations. Brady is one of them, although to be fair expectations were probably unfairly high in the first place. Don't get why it's so sacrilegious to say as much. When your QB throws an interception in the end zone in the 4th quarter, then throws another one to end the game... that's not a very good game. Back in 2004, every single one of you would have agreed with me on that point.

Last edited:
I've given my arguments why I think it is so. He is just not finishing drives in the 2nd half.
Sure but it isnt the same team either. The o line is beatup. they dont have a 3 WR and he is making poor throws.If his mind wasnt in the game he would play 4 quarters like that . Players go through bad patches and as is he. I dont mind calling out his performance but to start putting it on his child to be born and lack of interest suddenly after two losses is a stretch. Just my opinion. They havent lost back to back in 3 yrs. Even manning has lost back to back .Its not an easy stat to accomplish and its a team stat. Just my 2 cents.

Remember this interview? Always made me wonder if perhaps he had other things on his mind sometimes.

http://www.coloyan.com/media/Brady.wmv

As much as we want to see Brady put his full attention and energy into football for as long as he can play, it IS more important for him to be a father and husband. The NFL might be becoming his 2nd or even 3rd priority and you can't really criticize him for it. Football is just a sport, his life/family is far more important. If only my "fan" in me could understand. :rolleyes:

Remember this interview? Always made me wonder if perhaps he had other things on his mind sometimes.

http://www.coloyan.com/media/Brady.wmv

he has a super model wife who is haveing he's baby and he all redy has a son with a very pretty actress

he has a nuff money that he's grand kids will never have to work a day in there life he all redy has 3 rings he has stats he can call it a end today and still be a first ballot hall of famer

but yet after suffering a major injury to he's leg he came back did you see how bad he's finger looked on sunday turst me he loves playing football

He said we guys, not I. He's been fighting all season for a lot of reasons. Lack of fight has never been his problem. Why some of you can't accept THAT after ten seasons is what is really mindnumbing... He won a Superbowl the week his grandmother died and his uncle was diagnosed with cancer and his dad was hospitalized. He busted his ass to come back from a season ending knee injury and shook the rust off over three and a half quarters and scored two TD's in a matter of minutes to win that game. Since then his over rated OL has proven again it still cannot pass protect or run block consistently, his $9M #1 WR still can't beat double coverage or jams or fight for balls, his most reliable weapon missed 2 games and is now being double covered thanks to 5 linemen who can't block 3, he never knows who his #3 receiver will be - the ST captain, or one of the rookie conversion projects, his HC is making erratic situational decisions, he's lucky if he starts a drive beyond the 20, he's played an entire game with a backup center and four with a rookie LT, and this week with a backup RG, his defense is giving up big drives to probowlers and third tier or rookie QB's this fanbase mocks almost at will, his HC is healthy scratching veteran players and holding spots for injured players like roster spots grow on trees, he's dealing with a new OC by committee approach that is sometimes late in agreeing on playcalls, he's working with personnel who have to be repositioned at the LOS, and he's probably the only starter on the team who hasn't missed a practice in 12 weeks.

He said we guys, not I. He's been fighting all season for a lot of reasons. Lack of fight has never been his problem. Why some of you can't accept THAT after ten seasons is what is really mindnumbing... He won a Superbowl the week his grandmother died and his uncle was diagnosed with cancer and his dad was hospitalized. He busted his ass to come back from a season ending knee injury and shook the rust off over three and a half quarters and scored two TD's in a matter of minutes to win that game. Since then his over rated OL has proven again it still cannot pass protect or run block consistently, his $9M #1 WR still can't beat double coverage or jams or fight for balls, his most reliable weapon missed 2 games and is now being double covered thanks to 5 linemen who can't block 3, he never knows who his #3 receiver will be - the ST captain, or one of the rookie conversion projects, his HC is making erratic situational decisions, he's lucky if he starts a drive beyond the 20, he's played an entire game with a backup center and four with a rookie LT, and this week with a backup RG, his defense is giving up big drives to probowlers and third tier or rookie QB's this fanbase mocks almost at will, his HC is healthy scratching veteran players and holding spots for injured players like roster spots grow on trees, he's dealing with a new OC by committee approach that is sometimes late in agreeing on playcalls, he's working with personnel who have to be repositioned at the LOS, and he's probably the only starter on the team who hasn't missed a practice in 12 weeks.

Well said as usual, it's a shame you are preaching to cementheads and effin mentally challenged kumquats.

As much as we want to see Brady put his full attention and energy into football for as long as he can play, it IS more important for him to be a father and husband. The NFL might be becoming his 2nd or even 3rd priority and you can't really criticize him for it. Football is just a sport, his life/family is far more important. If only my "fan" in me could understand. :rolleyes:

I agree completely and that is the right way to be. As fans we like to think and hope that our players think of nothing else but football, but in reality they are human just like the rest of us.

I have always thought that at this level all of these guys are talented athletes, professional sports are 90% mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back