PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady at No. 9 in USA Today Top 25 Players list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the fun begin! They've listed 9--25. Now who are the top eight since 1982?

My list (alphabetically)

Marcus Allen (SB and NFL MVP)
Steve Largent (awesome career)
Joe Montana ('nuff said)
Walter Payton (Sweetness was the greatest)
Jerry Rice (best WR ever?)
Lynn Swan (just makes it by playing final season in 1982)
LT (the only one who really deserves to be known by his initials alone?)
Reggie White (the Minister of Defense)

Notes:

It says "players," so I'm assuming that Bill Walsh isn't eligible.

I have left Elway and Kelly off since there is no way--unless the old fix is in--they could be ranked above Aikman, TB, Bradshaw, Marino, Peyton and Young, who are already on the list.

Last edited:
Marcus Allen? No way...

Emmitt Smith will be in there though obviously

[

I have left Elway and Kelly off since there is no way--unless the old fix is in--they could be ranked above Aikman, TB, Bradshaw, Marino, Peyton and Young, who are already on the list.[/QUOTE]

I don't see any way John Elway isn't on this list.

No question Largent and Allen had great careers, IMO you need to put Emmitt Smith and Deion Sanders in as the alternatives.

I am not a Cowboys fan whatsoever, but as a 3-time SB Champ and the all-time leading rusher, he needs to be there.

Sanders is perhaps the greatest cover-corner in the history of the game (yes, he was a poor in run support, but as a CB who cares). He was also IMO one of the greatest KR guys ever.

Anyway, this is a great topic!

[

I have left Elway and Kelly off since there is no way--unless the old fix is in--they could be ranked above Aikman, TB, Bradshaw, Marino, Peyton and Young, who are already on the list.

I don't see any way John Elway isn't on this list.[/QUOTE]

But, how can they rank him above Brady, Bradshaw, Aikman and Marino? The first three have TEN rings among them and the latter owns every record in the book.

Wow, you almost hear the Dolphin fans crying that Brady is ranked higher than Marino all the way up here from Florida. :)

I don't see any way John Elway isn't on this list.

But, how can they rank him above Brady, Bradshaw, Aikman and Marino? The first three have TEN rings among them and the latter owns every record in the book.[/QUOTE]

Well, he went to four more Superbowls than Marino (and won two more), two more Superbowls than Brady, two more than Aikman. Bradshaw was never considered that great of a player, although clearly the team's achievements were extraordinary; Elway sustained an incredibly high level of play over 14 years, something that Aikman didn't manage.

[

I don't see any way John Elway isn't on this list.[/QUOTE]

Ha - all John Elway ever did was carry several Bronco teams on his back all the way to the SB before they got some help ( Sharpe, Terrell Davis etc) and they won the last 2. Guy was incredible - and maybe the best QB ever.

ohhhh thank god. I thought this was the 25 list for the nfl as of now.

and i was going to ask how in the hell #9 is even possible.

IMO you need to put Emmitt Smith and Deion Sanders in as the alternatives.

Sanders is on the list at #16. I'm not sure how you could not include Montana, Payton, Rice, L.Taylor, R.White, Elway and E.Smith on the list. That leaves one spot open. How about Ronnie Lott?

I'd say 7 of the top 8 are easy to figure out without regards to order:

Montana
LT
Emmitt
Rice
Payton
Elway
Reggie White

Maybe Lott is the other? He certainly was a better player than Rod Woodson.

Sanders is on the list at #16. I'm not sure how you could not include Montana, Payton, Rice, L.Taylor, R.White, Elway and E.Smith on the list. That leaves one spot open. How about Ronnie Lott?

Maybe I should read down to the bottom next time before posting.....

I'd say 7 of the top 8 are easy to figure out without regards to order:

Montana
LT
Emmitt
Rice
Payton
Elway
Reggie White

Maybe Lott is the other? He certainly was a better player than Rod Woodson.
Jim Brown?
Johnny Unitas?

edit: never mind - it is only for 1982-2007

Last edited:
My point on Elway was never that he doesn't belong on a list of the 25 greatest players to play in the NFL since 1982 (clearly he does belong), just that I don't see him above, for example, Brady with three rings and two SB MVP's.

I think the entire body of work of Elway's long career certainly makes it possible for them to construct a good argument for him being ahead of Brady at this point.

I'm hoping that by February, there's no debate. :)

Let the fun begin! They've listed 9--25. Now who are the top eight since 1982?

My list (alphabetically)

Marcus Allen (SB and NFL MVP)
Steve Largent (awesome career)
Joe Montana ('nuff said)
Walter Payton (Sweetness was the greatest)
Jerry Rice (best WR ever?)
Lynn Swan (just makes it by playing final season in 1982)
LT (the only one who really deserves to be known by his initials alone?)
Reggie White (the Minister of Defense)

Notes:

It says "players," so I'm assuming that Bill Walsh isn't eligible.

There is no way Elsay isn't in the top 5. I'd consider him #3 after Montana and Rice.

I think the entire body of work of Elway's long career certainly makes it possible for them to construct a good argument for him being ahead of Brady at this point.

I'm hoping that by February, there's no debate. :)

Can't argue with your last point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey