PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Montana or Manning and Marino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haterproof

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
What duo would you want on your team? Obviously Montana would be the quarterback with Brady being the backup.And Marino would be the quarterback with Manning being the backup.

No Brainer...

Go with the WINNERS!

B & M

Brady backs up nobody.
Brady was the youngest ever to win a superbowl.
Brady was the youngest ever to win two superbowls.
Brady was the youngest ever to win three superbowls.
My money says Brady will be the youngest ever to win four superbowls.

Why does everyone compare Brady to Montana. Why not compare him to Troy Aikman or Terry Bradshaw?

bevster said:
Why does everyone compare Brady to Montana. Why not compare him to Troy Aikman or Terry Bradshaw?

I think everyone compares Brady to Montana rather than Aikman or Bradshaw is because Aikman and Bradshaw has other superstars on their teams. Granted, Montana had Rice, but there were something like 7 HOF on the Steelers teams of the 70s and the Cowboys of the 90s were loaded with superstars. Montana and Brady are the unquestioned leaders of their teams and are known for rising to the occassion when the pressure is on the most. IMO Montana is better than both Bradshaw and Aikman, so I would much rather have Brady compared to them. However, I think by the time Brady retires, he will no longer be compared to Montana because he will be the standard that all great young quarterbacks will be compared to.

The reason why Brady is compared to Montana is simple. Both of them have they a will to win and they never quit. They we're the guys that you could depend on to get your team in a postion to win.

bevster said:

Uh, why not compare Adam Vinatierie to any other kicker who ever played in the NFL.

bevster said:

They started to compare Brady to Montana because of Brady's late game drives to set up Super Bowl wins on field goals by Adam V. I think the comparison continues in that Montana and Brady are both heady, highly respected team leaders that don't have the greatest physical skills. Mostly the first reason though.

Why compare Brady to Montana? Well, if the comparison was good enough for Bill Walsh (who made the comparison after SB36), then it's good enough for me. Walsh knows a thing or two about QBs.

Regards,
Chris

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
Why compare Brady to Montana? Well, if the comparison was good enough for Bill Walsh (who made the comparison after SB36), then it's good enough for me. Walsh knows a thing or two about QBs.

Regards,
Chris

Good answer. I also heard that Bill Walsh said that you should go take a flying leap.

chris_in_sunnyvale said:

Regards,
Chris

I've heard Walsh make that comparison too. And, Joe Cool himself has reacted positively to the comparison between himself and Brady.

scout said:
Uh, why not compare Adam Vinatierie to any other kicker who ever played in the NFL.

You never answered the question. Learn to spel.

Fanfrom1960 said:
I've heard Walsh make that comparison too. And, Joe Cool himself has reacted positively to the comparison between himself and Brady.

Well then the debate's over.

Fanfrom1960 said:
They started to compare Brady to Montana because of Brady's late game drives to set up Super Bowl wins on field goals by Adam V. I think the comparison continues in that Montana and Brady are both heady, highly respected team leaders that don't have the greatest physical skills. Mostly the first reason though.

Those drives were almost identical.

Montana led the 49ers 92 yards for a TD with his team trailing.

Brady led a 30 yard drive for a FG with the game tied after a kickoff out of bounds.

Or a 50 yard drive for a 48 yard FG in a no lose situation again with the game tied.

FSUPatsFan said:
I think everyone compares Brady to Montana rather than Aikman or Bradshaw is because Aikman and Bradshaw has other superstars on their teams. Granted, Montana had Rice, but there were something like 7 HOF on the Steelers teams of the 70s and the Cowboys of the 90s were loaded with superstars. Montana and Brady are the unquestioned leaders of their teams and are known for rising to the occassion when the pressure is on the most. IMO Montana is better than both Bradshaw and Aikman, so I would much rather have Brady compared to them. However, I think by the time Brady retires, he will no longer be compared to Montana because he will be the standard that all great young quarterbacks will be compared to.

Bravo, I know so far folks think I'm here to be nothing but a troll but I think the Brady vs Montana arguements are valid. I don't think Brady has ever played with as good of a supporting cast offensively. Think about this. Montana had Rice, wins 4 SB's (maybe only 3 with Jerry though), Young has Rice, wins an SB and Rich Gannon was the league MVP and led the Raiders to the SB, also with Rice. Is Rice's place in Montana's success underrated??? I think it might be.

Montana never played with two rookies protecting him on his blindside, that is for sure!

I think soon people will stop with the comparisons. Tom Brady is the best Tom Brady he can be. He has had a stellar enough career to not be compared to anybody.

Let the pundits compare others to Brady!

bevster said:
Good answer. I also heard that Bill Walsh said that you should go take a flying leap.
He did? Okay.

(jump) Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (thump)

Never question a genius.

Regards,
Chris

bevster said:

Because Bradshaw is balding, while Tom has a full luxurious head of hair.

Mr Reality said:
Bravo, I know so far folks think I'm here to be nothing but a troll but I think the Brady vs Montana arguements are valid. I don't think Brady has ever played with as good of a supporting cast offensively. Think about this. Montana had Rice, wins 4 SB's (maybe only 3 with Jerry though), Young has Rice, wins an SB and Rich Gannon was the league MVP and led the Raiders to the SB, also with Rice. Is Rice's place in Montana's success underrated??? I think it might be.

Montana won 2 SBs without Rice, 2 with. Rice also won one with Steve Young. Rice broke all the receiving records, by a lot, but he wasn't above whining to get the ball more, like a lot of other receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes