PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Belichick are mortals, not gods

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
And the other 31 teams are not the Washington Generals (look it up) tripping over their own shoelaces, with brain dead front offices and dumb QBs.

We could win Super Bowls without either Belichick or Brady, or both. Plenty of teams have.

discuss.

One comment I see written over and over again, both here and elsewhere, is that 'Belichick is wasting Tom Brady's prime years', or words to that effect. It usually goes on to imply that the Patriots should be winning the Super Bowl every year, because Brady is the GOAT in the opinion of the writer.

NFL football is the ultimate team sport. It is nowhere near that simple in a league with a real salary cap, and free agency.

One comment I see written over and over again, both here and elsewhere, is that 'Belichick is wasting Tom Brady's prime years', or words to that effect. It usually goes on to imply that the Patriots should be winning the Super Bowl every year, because Brady is the GOAT in the opinion of the writer.

NFL football is the ultimate team sport. It is nowhere near that simple in a league with a real salary cap, and free agency.

And the other 31 teams are actually trying, have brains and great players.

What cracks me up the most is the idea that, because only Belichick and Brady together should ever win the SuperBowl...we need to spend everything on big name FAs to win now, which is the exact opposite of the approach that has led us to three super bowl wins and the ability to compete every single year, should that funny shaped ball bounce our way.

I have to disagree. The reason why we have 3 Super Bowl victories is because of them. The reason I believe we haven't win anymore is because we put to much on Brady's plate every game. We need a balanced team on both sides and Brady is the reason we don't need elite receivers. We need a good to great D and not so much pressure on Brady to get a bunch of points on the board. That's why we have lost.

They may be mortals, but they are OUR mortals.

I have to disagree. The reason why we have 3 Super Bowl victories is because of them. The reason I believe we haven't win anymore is because we put to much on Brady's plate every game. We need a balanced team on both sides and Brady is the reason we don't need elite receivers. We need a good to great D and not so much pressure on Brady to get a bunch of points on the board. That's why we have lost.

It's not that simple. It's also a turn of fate, a twist of luck. If we had a 100% Gronk in the last 2 superbowls, there would be no question as to who would have won.

I have to disagree.

With who? Not me. Our approach has been to use quick Wrs, backs and tight ends, if we could find them, in the passing game.

We found some great tight ends, but they've been injured at bad times. I think Sanders is a quick Branch type and Jones is a good strong guy who fights for yards. I'm hoping these guys and Amendola can break some big plays, but quick receivers who flash open at the right time, combined with great TEs and (hopefully) some 3rd down back play from Vereen, Washington and/or Edelman is the formula Brady has excelled at.

I don't think he has any problem with the long ball, it's simply not how our offense has been constructed when successful.

Obviously, we depend on Gronk and their aren't adequate replacements anywhere for his skills IMO.

Think Branch when he's younger (trusting BBs evaluation of fit for an existing NFL player) for Sanders and Jones like Givens, if the third down backs and slot players work out that's a recipe, with the two TEs, for moving the chains, the category where no one in the NFL can compete with tom Brady.

Of course, big Gronk needs to stay healthy, but there isn't a better red zone threat than him and for pity's sake, it's not like we haven't looked for more TEs.

There are other great teams, coaches and QBs and as long as they acquire players that play their game, they'll be tough to beat. Brady with multiple quick receivers and Gronk gives us as good a chance on that side of the ball as anything IMO.

It's not that simple. It's also a turn of fate, a twist of luck. If we had a 100% Gronk in the last 2 superbowls, there would be no question as to who would have won.

I wouldn't go that far, but there's your red zone offense and more. I do think we didn't have as good a receiver corp between Welker and the TEs. Ouchostinko was a horrible waste of time and effort, Faulk was missed (no disrespect to Woodhead, but he wasn't Faulk) and I'm not sure if Lloyd was the best fit.

Of course the proof is to be seen, if we get Sanders, but i think he and Donald Jones might work because they play roles we've had success with using Brady's skills at quick decision making and accuracy.

Sanders is fast and has that shuttle, cone quickness, he's not a jag as far as what we look for.

Gronk is the only god on this board, since he is the only player in NFL history who if healthy "guarantees" us 2 more lombardis :rolleyes:.

Dumbass Thread. Yeah, Belichick and Brady arent anything special. Just because theyve been Super Bowl contenders for 12 years. Every team does that. You'll just love the 7-9 and 6-10 years after theyre gone

Dumbass Thread. Yeah, Belichick and Brady arent anything special. Just because theyve been Super Bowl contenders for 12 years. Every team does that. You'll just love the 7-9 and 6-10 years after theyre gone

1981 Walsh Montana

1984 Walsh Montana

1988 Walsh Montana

1989 Seifert Montana

1994 Seifert Young

So your position is, they are not flesh and blood?

Apparently Mike Wallace is a God because I read on this board today, he would have single handedly won the Patriots the last 3 SBs.

Apparently Mike Wallace is a God because I read on this board today, he would have single handedly won the Patriots the last 3 SBs.

Sounds like an angry God to me

Yeah, Belichick is nothing special. Just ask the Cleveland Browns.

Its the system not brady!!

Well, in that vein, I'd have to say that Gronk might have taken us to multiple victories, with a Herculean effort were it not for fate, which always seems to mess with gods at the worst times. :bricks:

Funny but true

Yeah, Belichick is nothing special. Just ask the Cleveland Browns.
Right. The last playoff game they won was with you know who as their coach. And they beat Parcells' Patriots.

1981 Walsh Montana

1984 Walsh Montana

1988 Walsh Montana

1989 Seifert Montana

1994 Seifert Young

So your position is, they are not flesh and blood?

I think his position is (minus the implied name calling) that this era of highly competitive play will not last forever. Seifert carried the torch for Walsh and Young carried one for Montana. After that the 49ers were in the basement for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes