PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bradshaw on Deflating Footballs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jv320i

On the Roster
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned here , apologies if it has. Interesting excerpt from Terry Bradshaw's book - It's Only a Game.

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...octor&pg=PA67&hl=en#v=onepage&q=doctor&f=true

Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball.

Lmao

Nice find.

"not the steelers"

because they never cheat...not once.....

Not sure if this has been mentioned here , apologies if it has. Interesting excerpt from Terry Bradshaw's book - It's Only a Game.

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...octor&pg=PA67&hl=en#v=onepage&q=doctor&f=true

Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball.
that article made the rounds early in the saga back in january and february, but thanks for reposing.

This kind of stuff has never bothered me at all, but if I had to gauge them this is FAR worse than what the Patriots did, because they were forcing the other team to play with balls they didn't prefer and weren't used to. The only balls the Patriots allegedly altered were their own.

I took it as tongue -in cheek. The first TB12 with 4 rings was being sarcastic.

Definitely tongue-in-cheek. Given the reputation of those Steelers he knows that kind of comment--'never the Steelers, we'd never do that'--is meant for a chuckle.

That said, this is the same as Jimmy Johnson's comments during cameraplacementgate. People...don't...care. And in one respect they shouldn't: these teams weren't caught, the Pats were. But it does go to show, just like Johnson in 'spying' on teams, that the whole fiasco is nothing but typical gamesmanship.

That said, other teams have been 'caught' (Chargers and stickum towels, Vikings/Panthers putting balls under heaters) and there wasn't a peep, nevermind and national outcry. Different standards, and the NFL seems all too happy to oblige the media in playing this up while knowing they barely enforced the same rule in past cases.

Adam Schefter has players telling him they carry a paper clip on the sideline to let air out of balls during the game yet that gets no play. Even if somehow science took a night off on Jan 18th it's just more of "Everyone does it but we only care if the Pats do it" double standard.

Aaron Rodgers goes on radio and says how he likes his footballs over the limit, where is the investigation into that and if Rodgers had his ball guys sneaking off with a pump after the refs checked them? Or if the refs properly check them or does Rodgers more probably than not play with illegally overinflated footballs?

Last edited:
That said, other teams have been 'caught' (Chargers and stickum towels, Vikings/Panthers putting balls under heaters) and there wasn't a peep, nevermind and national outcry. Different standards, and the NFL seems all too happy to oblige the media in playing this up while knowing they barely enforced the same rule in past cases.

Said it in my above post but i'll say it again, one of the face's of the NFL went on record and joked about overinflating balls and trying to sneak them past the refs. Now knowing how lax the refs are in regards to balls (Brady having balls at 16 PSI because of the ref during a jests game) so more probable than not Rodgers has been playing with illegally overinflated for who knows how long.

Adam Schefter has players telling him they carry a paper clip on the sideline to let air out of balls during the game yet that gets no play. Even if somehow science took a night off on Jan 18th it's just more of "Everyone does it but we only care if the Pats do it" double standard.

Aaron Rodgers goes on radio and says how he likes his footballs over the limit, where is the investigation into that and if Rodgers had his balls guys sneaking off with a pump after the refs checked them? Or if the refs properly check them or does Rodgers more than probably play with illegally overinflated footballs?

Rogers will not be investigated because his name isnt Brady and dosent play on the Pats

thing whole thing is ridiculous.
just more motivation for evil bill!!

This never was, is not currently and never will be about the integrity of the game.

It is, 100%, about taking the Patriots down a notch. Verifiable ball manipulation by other teams is just background noise to those who are searching for any and everything available to try to diminish the team's accomplishments.

Said it in my above post but i'll say it again, one of the face's of the NFL went on record and joked about overinflating balls and trying to sneak them past the refs. Now knowing how lax the refs are in regards to balls (Brady having balls at 16 PSI because of the ref during a jests game) so more probable than not Rodgers has been playing with illegally overinflated for who knows how long.
I get what you're saying but do you see a difference between submitting footballs overinflated (say, 14 psi) to the refs hoping they don't gauge them, and deflating footballs after the refs approve them?

I get that Rodger's comments speak to gamesmanship with the footballs, trying to 'put one over' on the refs. But there's nothing illegal with submitting them high. There is something illegal with tampering with them after the fact.

(and if it has to be said, I DON'T believe the Pats illegally deflated the footballs, I'm speaking purely about equating Rodger's comments with what the Patriots were accused of doing)

This never was, is not currently and never will be about the integrity of the game.

It is, 100%, about taking the Patriots down a notch. Verifiable ball manipulation by other teams is just background noise to those who are searching for any and everything available to try to diminish the team's accomplishments.

yeah then they won the SB

the ultimate F you

Love it....

The fact that the Colts went vigilante, broke the rule, and failed to collect any evidence; and the league responded by punishing the Patriots speaks to the quality of the NFL's judicial process.

If I break into your house to find evidence that you broke into mine, find an Xbox but nothing else, take that to the police, and they find that it was yours not mine after an investigation they don't give me a pat on the back and arrest you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes