Welcome to PatsFans.com

Brad Cottam Has to be on Belichick's list

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by IcyPatriot, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Brad Cottam
    TE | (6'7[​IMG]", 271, 4.759) | TENNESSEE

Massive frame. Is tall with a well-proportioned and muscular frame. Has long arms and big hands. Shows good initial pop and will fight to sustain his blocks.

Tough kid who may be there in the 4th round. Actually, if Belichicks trades down in the 3rd round he could pick up an extra 4th to grab him. We have bigger needs on defense but a blocking TE has to be high on our Radar. Watson staying in to block hurt us in the SB and Kyle Brady sucked.

Just wondering what others think of this kid as a possible higher 4th round pick if we find ourselves in that position?

EDIT: ran a 4.68 & 4.73 at the combine ... not bad for a blocking type TE.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup, he could be a good option in the fourth round, but I'll add that he's got a significant injury red flag. Cottam has already had 5 surgeries, and tweaked his hammy at the combine.
  3. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 8 / -1

Only question is durability. Not as big as Cottam. But, Stevens from Cal is a pretty good prospect. 6'4 254lb. Ran a 4.59 and led te's with 27 reps at 225. 7.07 IN 3 Cone. Should be a decent receiver with that size/speed. Didn't have a great senior year. Supposed to be a pretty good blocker.
  4. kas

kas Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like Cottam and Stevens round 4 or later. In round 2/3, if BB looks TE, I really like Martin Rucker and Martellus Bennett.
  5. LloydBraun

LloydBraun Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't be surprised if a trade was made to somehow snag Carlson from ND in round 2 if he falls.

Same for Cottam later on... BB loves his TE's.
  6. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

As I've joked before, this is Bill Belichick's dream draft:

* Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
    * Fred Davis, TE, USC
    * Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee
    * Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
    * Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
    * Jacob Tamme, TE, Kentucky
    * Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
    * John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame

:D
  7. Mark Morse

Mark Morse PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

#15 Jersey

There are alot of decent TE's in this draft. Carlson is dropping like a rock! He had a poor combine, coupled with a underacheiving Senior year at ND. Really slow.

Cottam was the surprise at the combine. However, given his injury history I don't think we take a chance.

I like Jermichael Finley (Texas) or Gary Barnidge (Louisville) later on in the draft.
  8. 12+81=TD

12+81=TD Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Forget this kid Cottom; Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue ...he is the TRUTH.:rocker:

MONSTER combine, great career in College...

In 46 games at Purdue, Keller started 26 contests. He hauled in 142 passes for 1,882 yards (13.3-yard average) and 16 touchdowns. He recovered a rushing attempt in the end zone for a score, posted four solo tackles and gained 54 yards on four kickoff returns, finishing with 102 points scored and an average of 42.09 all-purpose yards per game.

"Dustin Keller most impressive prospect at NFL Combine on Day 1"
  9. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -2

He cannot block though.
    DW Toys
  10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

You have to love Kellar's athleticism, but he's in the Dallas Clark mode...really can't play on the line. Despite his size, Cottam isn't much of a blocker either. I like both of them, especially Cottam, but neither is going to give you a presence in the run game. They're not an improvement over Watson in that area.

In light of Kyle Brady's cutting, I might take up the call again to convert Owen Schmidt as a blocking TE.
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Bottom line is we do need a blocking TE and this years TE class is a bit weak in the area. I'm hoping some of the RT's in the draft could be converted ... but that's always a longshot at best.

A lack of a blocking TE added to our weak RT position adds up to all the teams playing LoMo to run left behind Mankins/Light. If we had something on the right side LoMo would be good for 100+ every game.

One thing is for sure ... put a TE in every round of our draft and 1 of them will be the correct round for a TE ... Belichick's binky ...the TE :D
  12. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

This is why I believe he WON'T be on the Pats list. Because the Pats already have 2 TEs who can't seem to stay healthy in Thomas and Watson.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.