Status
Not open for further replies.

b72s

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Any news on brace at all?

Is he close to playing?

What is the issue? Play book?

I think he is just a big fat ass.. it works in college against a 260 pound guard but you need more than weight to play in the NFL.

Works out all year joins the rotation next year.

He has dressed hte last couple of games. Got in I think for one play. Good news is that he is our biggest disappointment of the draft.

Hard to get too down on the big guy... it's not like 07 when everyone put all their draft eggs in the Merriweather basket (a basket looking more plentiful this year though).

In 09 we have Chung who's coming on, Butler who's soon to be a starter, Edelman, Pryor, and Ingram with regular work. And Vollmer, who might end up being the main dude from the draft.

It allows time and patience for Brace to get his act together. He may well be useless in the end - but the 09 as a whole seems to headed in the right direction. A productive Brace in '10 would be icing.

Brace has the talent to play in the NFL. Its demanding position and by and large, aside from Mayo and this years crop, our rooks get limited playing time. Also, what of the two first rounders who who play the same position? How have they fared this year in terms of playing time? Who is Brace going to take playing time away from if he does play?
This kid will be fine.

Who is Brace going to take playing time away from if he does play?
This kid will be fine.

I thought we've been shorted on D-linemen with injuries? a healthy and capable body would certainly help. Not sure Brace would be consider "able" at this moment.

Last edited:
I think Brace will be just fine.

According to Reiss he was in for a few plays on the Colts final touchdown drive after they got the ball on the NE 28. Since those are the only gametime snaps I have seen/heard him take the only logical explanation is that Bill is saving him for extremely special occasions.

<sarcasm>

If memory serves properly, Wilfork took most of his rookie year to develop. The Pats aren't asking him to simply rush up field or tie up blockers like many defenses ask their d-linemen. They need to read and react, and I think Brace will eventually be a real solid player for the NEP.

If memory serves properly, Wilfork took most of his rookie year to develop. The Pats aren't asking him to simply rush up field or tie up blockers like many defenses ask their d-linemen. They need to read and react, and I think Brace will eventually be a real solid player for the NEP.

By mid-season, Vince started to get about 15-20 snaps a game.

I really think the addition of Floyd Reese was HUGE for this team. His contributions to the overall drafting process will pay large dividends over the long haul. I hope he stays around long enough to build a full roster. By the time the TB era ends (wow, hard to type that), it could ease the transition.

By mid-season, Vince started to get about 15-20 snaps a game.

Wilfork was a projected top 10-15 pick when he was drafted. The Pats were lucky that he fell to them where he did. Brace is not that type of prospect.

Besides, Wilfork played like crap his rookie season and it wasn't until his second year when they decided that he should line up farther off the ball so he could see what was going on, did Wilfork start to emerge as a dominant player. You go back and look at the message boards and the media during Vince's rookie season and no one was very kind to him.

As for Brace, he is a second round pick learning a new defense in a position that historically has difficulty with players adapting at the pro level from college. It is too early to judge the guy.

I say drop Brace altogether, Bradys knee brace that is

I really think the addition of Floyd Reese was HUGE for this team. His contributions to the overall drafting process will pay large dividends over the long haul. I hope he stays around long enough to build a full roster. By the time the TB era ends (wow, hard to type that), it could ease the transition.

I think you're overstating Reese's role here. If i understand things correctly, the "overall drafting process" after Pioli left was run largely by Nick Caserio, not by Reese. Reese's main responsibility relates to contract negotiations, not personnel (which is Caserio's).

This is especially true considering how many future draft pick the the Patriots have stockpiled. The 2010 draft will simply be loaded with underclassmen and the Pats will have 3 second round choices (and I could see them moving down out of the first round again to get another 2'd plus other slots). This could be a legendary draft for the Patriots.

The bottom line is that Brace is a 2nd rounder at position backing up an all-pro. He is indeed taking a lot of time to develop (Belichick preferred a street free agent for a couple of weeks when Wilfork was injured). He simply didn't project as high level as Wilfork, Warren or Meriweather who were all solid Round One talents.

None of the NT's taken have been much of a factor so far, and that includes a player that some wanted us to trade up into the top 10 to secure. Brace was signed as injurance against us not being able to re-sign Wilfork, and as some leverage in those negotaitions. My hope is that Brace is never a huge factor for the patriots; bet instead, Wilfork is re-signed for a long-term contract.

I was surprised that we signed Brace, a one-trick pony. He is a very, very slow run-stuffer. However, I do understand the need for Wilfork insurance. I expected a 4th rounder for that role. Unfortunately for Brace, we have Wilfork to compare him to. Wilfork can play DE!

The bottom line is that Brace is a 2nd rounder at position backing up an all-pro. He is indeed taking a lot of time to develop (Belichick preferred a street free agent for a couple of weeks when Wilfork was injured). He simply didn't project as high level as Wilfork, Warren or Meriweather who were all solid Round One talents.

None of the NT's taken have been much of a factor so far, and that includes a player that some wanted us to trade up into the top 10 to secure. Brace was signed as injurance against us not being able to re-sign Wilfork, and as some leverage in those negotaitions. My hope is that Brace is never a huge factor for the patriots; bet instead, Wilfork is re-signed for a long-term contract.

I was surprised that we signed Brace, a one-trick pony. He is a very, very slow run-stuffer. However, I do understand the need for Wilfork insurance. I expected a 4th rounder for that role. Unfortunately for Brace, we have Wilfork to compare him to. Wilfork can play DE!

If/when VW (he's about the size of one. . . . :) ) re-signs, I could see Brace potentially being traded.

And what do you think the value is of a mid second rounder who hasn't played one sigfnificant down even when three defensive linemen are injured?

Even when Wilfork is re-signed, we need a backup NT. And we've already paid his signing bonus and first year salary. We shouldn't give him away.

If/when VW (he's about the size of one. . . . :) ) re-signs, I could see Brace potentially being traded.

And what do you think the value is of a mid second rounder who hasn't played one sigfnificant down even when three defensive linemen are injured?

Even when Wilfork is re-signed, we need a backup NT. And we've already paid his signing bonus and first year salary. We shouldn't give him away.

:yeahthat:

Actually, the bulk of his money is due in 2010 (including an option bonus of about $1.5M), so even if 2010 were capped it would cost almost nothing to trade him.

Also, please note I'm not saying he will or even should be traded, merely that I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots