PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brace getting significant reps at DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's "athletic" and then there's "athletic." Brace was the slowest defensive player in the entire draft his year. Plus the DE position puts a premium on length, and Brace is pretty average on that measure -- 6'3.0" with 33 3/4" arms. (Compare to the two "throwaway" 7th-round rookies: Deaderick 6'3.7" 34 3/8", Weston 6'4.6" 34 1/2")

As for why fans are so down on him after just one year, here are three reasons:

- Myron Pryor was busy making "he's just a rookie" look weak
- That street FA they played ahead of Brace for a couple of games before cutting him eliminated the "lace of opportunity" excuse
- History really isn't behind the notion that Patriots defenders routinely spend their rookie years inactive, then go on to good careers

Needles to say, though, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Brace was in horrible condition last year, when I went to training camp I said to my son "Who is that fat dude with the rest of those fat dudes?"

He looked thick, heavy, husky, chunky and large, combined with a total lack of speed it is not quite the total package. Players going from year 1 to year 2 have the benefit of a full season of NFL conditioning. Hopefully he has gotten himself into shape and can play multiple position across the line.

He offers pretty good value as a 5th, 6th or 7th option at DL, most team are not this deep. The problem with the Patriots defensive line is that after Warren and Wilfork all of the players are basically the same, good backups but lousy starters.

Glad to hear him working at DE last year at camp I was surprised that he seemed to look more like Sey and Warren than Vince. He had a little more in the gut than Sey and Warren but by no means is he the plug that vince is and I think he seemed to have decent height and length. I think because of his speed he will never be a 3 down end but he could be a good DE on early downs.

Likely he will learn NT and DE and hopefully be a very good back up to all 3 line positions.

Brace taking snaps at 3-4 DE would make that line the most unathletic 3-4 DL in football.

Any decent QB, should he see Brace on the outside, would run a sweep to his side, or a screen, or a pass, or anything but a play that called for a RB to run straight ahead.

If Brace cannot play NT for us, then he cannot play anywhere for us.
Regardless of where they run, Brace will have the (shared) responsibility for 2 gaps. That is why NT/DE/DT are all interchangable for us. I would suppose screen would be a challenge, but you dont run a screen to exploit the lateral mobility of a DL.

He offers pretty good value as a 5th, 6th or 7th option at DL, most team are not this deep. The problem with the Patriots defensive line is that after Warren and Wilfork all of the players are basically the same, good backups but lousy starters.
THere were occasions last season when Wright came in and did more than a passable job. I wouldn't write him off.

I was a bit disappointed in Brace after his first season, but I don't know how anyone can call him a "bust" after only one year. Most DL need a year or two before they start contributing.

Factor in the position/technique change and it's understandable that Brace struggled. But it's really unfair to call the kid a bust just yet. He was Wilfork insurance. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to play much last season anyways, and this was the year he was expected to be ready for.

Meanwhile, his star teammate at BC and top 10 draft pick B.J. Raji also had a very disappointing year with only 25 tackles in 14 games. Peria Jerry was the 2nd DT off the board and got injured. Evander Hood was the 3rd DT drafted and didn't contribute much. It doesn't mean they're all busts. But perhaps our expectations are a bit unreasonable for a first-year DT.

THere were occasions last season when Wright came in and did more than a passable job. I wouldn't write him off.
That is quite an understatement.
Wright played more snaps than any DL on the team.
He also led the DL in sack and QB pressures.

Does anyone know if brace lost any wgt.?

That is quite an understatement.
Wright played more snaps than any DL on the team.
He also led the DL in sack and QB pressures.

And yet he gets little or no mention?

Did anyone post/see any reports of him getting in better shape this offseason? If he hasn't done anything to improve himself physically, I have a hard time seeing him being any good at DE.

I didn't like him being picked and am still very much on the Ron Brace Bust Bandwagon(holy alliteration, Batman!) mostly because he looked so sluggish off the line and really slow to react to plays. He got significant play in the Buffalo game but even then didn't do anything to get me to change my mind. It is good to hear that he's getting reps at different positions, though.

Did anyone post/see any reports of him getting in better shape this offseason? If he hasn't done anything to improve himself physically, I have a hard time seeing him being any good at DE.

I didn't like him being picked and am still very much on the Ron Brace Bust Bandwagon(holy alliteration, Batman!) mostly because he looked so sluggish off the line and really slow to react to plays. He got significant play in the Buffalo game but even then didn't do anything to get me to change my mind. It is good to hear that he's getting reps at different positions, though.

When was this? I'm by no means a huge Brace fan, and I do think it's a little worrisome that he had so much difficulty making the active roster, but when he played I didn't think he looked bad.

Just what the Pats need, a DE that will put no pressure on the QB.

Just what the Pats need, a DE that will put no pressure on the QB.

We don't need our DE's to put pressure on the QB. We need DE's that will make sure a RB is trying to block our REAL pass rushers. Although, if he can manhandle a G or T man-to-man, that's a plus.

We don't need our DE's to put pressure on the QB. We need DE's that will make sure a RB is trying to block our REAL pass rushers. Although, if he can manhandle a G or T man-to-man, that's a plus.

Brace is so slow a tackle will be able to slide off him and pick up the OLB. Brace was the slowest defensive lineman in the 2009 draft.

On one of the OTA vids last week he did look in better physical shape

Please understand that being "slow" is usually a relative term. Certain positions are slower. We like to have players who are at least average speed at their position. We compare one player to another.

With regard to Brace, his lack of speed is an absolute. He was #1 in slowness in the entire draft! If he were to start at DE, he would likely be the slowest DE in the league. While agree that we do not need a spped demon to replace Green's reps at DE, I think that having the slowest in the league is probably not a good idea.

A) Brace is our backup NT.

B) Brace is next to useless on special teams.

C) There is little reason for our backup NT to be on the active roster.

D) When called upon, Brace played reasonably well.

The bottom line is that Brace is far from a bust. He is doing what he has been asked to to do. His lack of speed is not a surprise. He is NOT the occasional pass rusher that Wilfork can be. He is developing at NT quite reasonably, given that there were no real issues when he started late in the season. Early in the season, we brought in a street free agent for a couple of weeks rather than play Brace; so he did indeed develop during the season.

The team has decided that it was worth the #34 pick to draft a potential starter at NT, "Wilfork insurance". IMHO, nose tackle is a key position, worth an inactive roster position for our backup. I thought that the #34 was an too expensive for this role, but the team thought otherwise. We may have paid too much, but he isn't a bust or a waste, even if he is inactive almost every game in 2010..

When was this? I'm by no means a huge Brace fan, and I do think it's a little worrisome that he had so much difficulty making the active roster, but when he played I didn't think he looked bad.

Last edited:
A two gapping 3-4 does not feature "athletic" linemen up front. It features guys capable of taking up two blockers. Typically, in order to do that, you need size. That's what Brace has.

Yes he does, and so do/did Warren & Seymour. But those 2 are/were also VG athletes for their sizes. Brace = The Opposite, and is a total liability as a DE exc. in short-yardage situations.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if brace lost any wgt.?

Not so sure about losing weight but I recall Brace talking about having an offseason to shape his body better for the role he will preform on this team.

I am not sure if my bias led me to a false conclusion but last year at training camp I noted I thought he looked more like Sey and Warren than Vince. So when I heard this I took it as his body thru college was built up for NT/DT at BC which I believe plays a four man line and that he needs to mold his body for 3-4 DE and that because he only got half an offseason last year with a specific team(joined us after the april draft) that he thought a whole offseason would do a lot for him physically.

I have heard some people say he looks to be in better shape but I will have to wait until TC to form my own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes