PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brace brushes aside media criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time is running out for old Ronny Brace.

He is on the team because he was a relatively high selection (value draft pick) and was hurt last season. Its rare for BB to outright cut a "Value Pick" without giving him at least 3 years.

anyone want to start a pool for the date that Brace is brushed aside?

Is Brace on the final year of his contract? I can't recall what his rookie year was for.

Yes, he is heading into his final and 4th yr.

My point was simply in response to you saying he needed to make big strides to make the team. I do not agree since he was on the team last year, and there is really no additions and at least 1 subtraction. If he is the same, he should make the team. That doesn't bode well for his career, which needs that improvement to worthy, but in terms of making the team he'd have to regress to not make it.

That thinking would certainly seem to make sense, and you could be a lot closer to correct than I am. We will certainly find out soon enough though.

As you stated, Brace could certainly benefit from the lessened competition this year, and has shown something when healthy in run support. That, and a cheap enough rookie deal with one last year could equate to enough of a reason for keeping him again.

However, if there are other circumstances in the equation, that may certainly change things and he may indeed need to step up to keep his spot here.

To be honest, I do not feel as though he 'needs to make great strides' to keep his job, but I do feel as though he will have to step up a bit. My statement was more of a general term that was speaking of all of the players like Cunningham, Brace, Pryor, etc, in the fact that they 'need to take a step or two to keep their job and prove their doubters wrong.'

Not trying to nit-pick or mince words, just trying to say that I do not believe that he necessarily 'needs to make great strides.' Maybe a singular 'stride' would be sufficient. :cool:

At any rate, as I said, the fact still remains that you could be quite closer to the truth in this one, and what you say certainly has some good merit. We'll have to see it play out in TC, and it will definitely be something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Brace should make the team as he and to a lesser extent Love are the only players on the roster that can be a substitute for VW in the event he experiences a season-ending injury.

With that said, he has not met the expectations that a 2nd rd draft choice carries. If he was a 7th rounder, he would not have this kind of attention.

If he fails his conditioning test this time around, I'll put my money on day 1 of TC.

That thinking would certainly seem to make sense, and you could be a lot closer to correct than I am. We will certainly find out soon enough though.

As you stated, Brace could certainly benefit from the lessened competition this year, and has shown something when healthy in run support. That, and a cheap enough rookie deal with one last year could equate to enough of a reason for keeping him again.

However, if there are other circumstances in the equation, that may certainly change things and he may indeed need to step up to keep his spot here.

To be honest, I do not feel as though he 'needs to make great strides' to keep his job, but I do feel as though he will have to step up a bit. My statement was more of a general term that was speaking of all of the players like Cunningham, Brace, Pryor, etc, in the fact that they 'need to take a step or two to keep their job and prove their doubters wrong.'

Not trying to nit-pick or mince words, just trying to say that I do not believe that he necessarily 'needs to make great strides.' Maybe a singular 'stride' would be sufficient. :cool:

At any rate, as I said, the fact still remains that you could be quite closer to the truth in this one, and what you say certainly has some good merit. We'll have to see it play out in TC, and it will definitely be something to keep an eye on.

We aren't far apart. I was just trying to point out he was good enough to make the team last year, and if he is the same guy he probably will be this year.
In this post you added 'answer their critics' and that makes the comment fit, IMO.

Don't get me wrong. He needs to make big strides to be the player we would like to see.
I wish I knew what those strides were though, because he is a unique enigma in that he has actually done well when on the field, but there is something going on that is keeping him off the field.
I have few worries about his spot if he earns playing time. I have a lot of worries that he will unf#ck whatever issue he has that is keeping him off the field. It's not ability, as demonstrated by what he does when he is giving playing time.

Better watch out. When I tried to start a pool for how long Albert Haynesworth would last as a Patriots, various posters got their panties in a knot and had the thread relegated to the Practice Squad.

Last edited:
You speak as if mistakes are never made in the draft, and that his record is supposed to be flawless.
Everyone who drafts makes mistakes. If you were drafting with the limited knowledge you have there is no doubt you would make more than anyone.
To imply that the reason a player was drafted was the Bill Belichick was too ignorant about film study and player evaluation to take into account how and why plays were being made, defenses were being attacked and schemes were used, as some kind of idea that you would have recognized and BB was too naive to is ridiculous. But you know that, which is why you turned your argument to the silly 'BB must be flawless' strawman.

Same can be said of your BB's experience is beyond questioning by us mere mortals "rollseyes" rhetoric to a poster just sharing his opinion regarding the Brace/Cunningham picks. I was just pointing out that he has made enough mistakes(drafting on D for quite some time) to be worthy of discussion and not that i expect BB to be flawless in the draft etc.

And instead of going through your BB is BB routine why don't you critique the original thought provided and chime in on why guys like Brace/Cunningham are on a path that is all too familiar in recent years.

what has he done when given playing time?

We aren't far apart. I was just trying to point out he was good enough to make the team last year, and if he is the same guy he probably will be this year.
In this post you added 'answer their critics' and that makes the comment fit, IMO.

Don't get me wrong. He needs to make big strides to be the player we would like to see.
I wish I knew what those strides were though, because he is a unique enigma in that he has actually done well when on the field, but there is something going on that is keeping him off the field.
I have few worries about his spot if he earns playing time. I have a lot of worries that he will unf#ck whatever issue he has that is keeping him off the field. It's not ability, as demonstrated by what he does when he is giving playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes