PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brace as a DE convert??

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does a lot of the same things the nose does and his #1 job is not to give ground at the point of attack. Brace is definitely suited to do that job. T.

Hes not going to "give up ground" but his lack of mobility is going to open up huge holes on that side. You put Brace at DE, and you're gonna see 35 stretch runs a game, all to his side.

As I've already pointed out in other threads -- if Brace never trains at DE, he will be pretty much the only NT the Pats have drafted who didn't.

Hence it's a legit question to ask.

That said, I share the consensus opinion that the answer is "No."
The ability of any player on the Pats to secure a long-term job is based on his ability "to learn" more than one position. In times of injury or exotic formations, which the Pats use in certain cases, this flexibility becomes important. Brace is a natural NT. As long as Wilfork is healthy and a NE Patriot, Brace, if he makes the team, will be his backup. That's the reason the Pats drafted him.

Consider his speed. Raji has NT speed, a 5.12 40. Would he be a candidate for DE? Probably not! He would be fine as a DT in the middle of a 4-3, but he is really a nose tackle, there to clog up the middle and perhaps collapse the pocket some.

Speed isn't everything after all. But Brace is more than a third of second slower than Raji!!!

Perhaps that's not so bad. I looked at NFLDraftScout and its ranking of 750 draft prospects, which included all, or almost all of the combine-tested players and then some. I could find only NINE players in that list that were slower than Brace and anothr five tied with him.

BRACE IS SLOW! Get used to it.

Brace was not drafted for his time in the 40. I believe BB also places value on the player's performance in the 3-cone drill, which is a better measurement of a player's quickness on the football field rather than flat out speed. This is where Brace excels.

NFL Events: Combine Top Performers

His time of 4.73 seconds is:

[bullet]the 2nd fastest recorded time of any player at any position at the 2009 combine, 2nd only to Faster than any WR or CB at the combine
[/bullet]
[bullet]31% faster than the next fastest D-lineman at the combine (Connor Barwin)
[/bullet]
[bullet]33% faster than the fastest O-line at the combine
[/bullet]

Lord only knows what possesses a man of his size to move like that, but Ron Brace is a 3-cone MANIAC!

Last edited:
Consider his speed. Raji has NT speed, a 5.12 40. Would he be a candidate for DE? Probably not! He would be fine as a DT in the middle of a 4-3, but he is really a nose tackle, there to clog up the middle and perhaps collapse the pocket some.

Speed isn't everything after all. But Brace is more than a third of second slower than Raji!!!

Perhaps that's not so bad. I looked at NFLDraftScout and its ranking of 750 draft prospects, which included all, or almost all of the combine-tested players and then some. I could find only NINE players in that list that were slower than Brace and anothr five tied with him.

Brace was not drafted for his time in the 40. I believe BB also places value on the player's performance in the 3-cone drill, which is a better measurement of a player's quickness on the football field rather than flat out speed. This is where Brace excels.

• the 2nd fastest recorded time of any player at any position at the 2009 combine, and faster than any WR or CB at the combine
  • 31% faster than the next fastest D-lineman at the combine (Connor Barwin)
  • 33% faster than the fastest O-line at the combine

Lord only knows what possesses a man of his size to move like that, but Ron Brace is a 3-cone MANIAC!

Last edited:

[bullet]the 2nd fastest recorded time of any player at any position at the 2009 combine, 2nd only to Faster than any WR or CB at the combine
[/bullet]
[bullet]31% faster than the next fastest D-lineman at the combine (Connor Barwin)
[/bullet]
[bullet]33% faster than the fastest O-line at the combine
[/bullet]

4.73 is his short shuttle time, his 3-cone was 8.15, slightly slower then most, though he beat his new teammate Myron Pryor by one one hundredth of a second.

4.73 is his short shuttle time, his 3-cone was 8.15, slightly slower then most, though he beat his new teammate Myron Pryor by one one hundredth of a second.

8.15 is the 20 yard shuttle, 4.73 for the three cone drill according to the link. He's the slowest time in the shuttle and only slower than safety Chris Clemons in the three cone drill.

Last edited:
8.15 is the 20 yard shuttle, 4.73 for the three cone drill according to the link. He's the slowest time in the shuttle and only slower than safety Chris Clemons in the three cone drill.
Yep, the linked source is in error, it happens now and again. When numbers are that far off from the norm, it's best to double-check them.

Try this source, Ron Brace is #47.
NFL Draft - 2009 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com Football

He was drated as the seventh quality lineman on the 7 lineman alocated roster, to be a legitimate backup for Wilfork. As we had none, and would be shafted if Wilfork went down. Forty times mean nothing to a NT. See what his size, 10 yard was, and his 3-cone and short shuttle was. That is far more indicative.

Think of it as Belichick finally finishing the construction of his Defensive line, after 8 years. Seven good or great Defensive linemen and not a single one over thirty years old.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back