PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brace as a DE convert??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Consider his speed. Raji has NT speed, a 5.12 40. Would he be a candidate for DE? Probably not! He would be fine as a DT in the middle of a 4-3, but he is really a nose tackle, there to clog up the middle and perhaps collapse the pocket some.

Speed isn't everything after all. But Brace is more than a third of second slower than Raji!!!

Perhaps that's not so bad. I looked at NFLDraftScout and its ranking of 750 draft prospects, which included all, or almost all of the combine-tested players and then some. I could find only NINE players in that list that were slower than Brace and anothr five tied with him.

BRACE IS SLOW! Get used to it.

I never would have considered him a possible DE convert. He's a space eater, pure and simple. He is what he is, and he has value that way. Personally, I think that Chris Baker, Sammie Lee Hill and Vaughn Martin all have more athletic ability than Brace. But Brace is a much more finished product as a run stuffing DT. Take him for what he does well, and look elsewhere for other things.

He could be a poor man's Ted Washington. No help on the pass rush, but a mountain against the run.

He could be a poor man's Ted Washington. No help on the pass rush, but a mountain against the run.

Exactly. Potential "poor mans Ted Washington" is a nice comparison, and a worthy goal.

Why would e be a poor mans ted washington?

Why would e be a poor mans ted washington?

Because Ted Washington was among the all-time great run-stuffing NTs.

(Nevermind weighing probably 30-40 lbs more!)

More like 50+, but who's counting? :rofl:

The other thing about Washington is his ability to draw double coverage...if Brace can do that they should be able to get better penetration making for more sacks and losses...

Brace knocked out my best friend in a HS football game. My boy was going full speed, Brace just ran over and hit him about 6 yards past the sideline.

He isn't a natural DE by any means, but he is our only true backup NT.

Consider his speed. Raji has NT speed, a 5.12 40. Would he be a candidate for DE? Probably not! He would be fine as a DT in the middle of a 4-3, but he is really a nose tackle, there to clog up the middle and perhaps collapse the pocket some.

Speed isn't everything after all. But Brace is more than a third of second slower than Raji!!!

Perhaps that's not so bad. I looked at NFLDraftScout and its ranking of 750 draft prospects, which included all, or almost all of the combine-tested players and then some. I could find only NINE players in that list that were slower than Brace and anothr five tied with him.

BRACE IS SLOW! Get used to it.

I like the idea of Wilfork as a contigency plan at DE if Sey walks, which I think has been floated by you and or BOR. If he drops a few more lbs, he likely has the speed for it, and it would be an absolute nightmare to run against. With the speed of that second level (Mayo & Guyton/Bru/McKenzie), I think you could make up for whatever drop in lateral speed you'd see if Wilfork were to man that position.

Last edited:
Brace belongs in the middle of a line. I don't think he has the athleticism to outmanuver above average OTs.

A guy like Wilfork has the moves and the technique to fill in at end and generate the pass rush. He's a rare specimin because he possesses the size/strength of the pure NT with the athleticism to get at the QB.

Brace's game is more brute strength.

That shoots down another KR candidate! Yeah, it's depressing, we'll miss that lightening speed in the middle. Wow, what a miscalculation. It's too bad the team didn't read his 40 time before they picked him. What are they going to do now???

Man, I get a kick out of this board . . . . . .

Wow, what a miscalculation. It's too bad the team didn't read his 40 time before they picked him. What are they going to do now???

Man, I get a kick out of this board . . . . . .

Perhaps you missed the posts suggesting that Brace could be an option at DE? The OP has nothing against Brace, he's just saying the guy's a pure NT: LeKevin + 20 lbs and -.13 on his 10-yard split. Moving him outside isn't very plausible.

No, I read all the posts. Wait, let's put him at TE in goal line situations. He'd never have to run 40 yards, and he's supposed to be strong and athletic.

That's why I love this board!!!

Not wanting to offend anyone, my point is he was drafted as a NT. Sometimes a cigar is a cigar . . . .

Not wanting to offend anyone, my point is he was drafted as a NT. Sometimes a cigar is a cigar . . . .

right...and Brace is a Corona Gorda. ;)

Brace played over the guard in college a lot. Is he an ideal 3-4? No. But he can play there, especially on first and second down.

I think some people on this board are a little confused about what a 3-4 DE does. He's not a pass-rusher. His primary job is to tie up blockers so that the OLB can make the play. He does a lot of the same things the nose does and his #1 job is not to give ground at the point of attack. Brace is definitely suited to do that job. The reason the guy is traditionally a bigger, longer type of player is because he has to take on tackles, and a really short end is going to be overmatched by a good long-armed tackle. But Brace is long enough himself to deal with tackles.

I guarantee Brace will be getting reps all over the line this year. Surely they drafted him thinking of the NT spot, but he'll play end from time to time. Either that or he'll take the nose and Wilfork will move to end.

As I've already pointed out in other threads -- if Brace never trains at DE, he will be pretty much the only NT the Pats have drafted who didn't.

Hence it's a legit question to ask.

That said, I share the consensus opinion that the answer is "No."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes