PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BPA or stay with the Patriot Way ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last 10 drafts, Belichick rarely drafts the BPA. He usually picks the guy who fits the Patriots system, his system, and he never apologizes for it, nor should he. He hasn't been 100% perfect, though he has made some funky head scratching picks that have worked out, for example two picks that I hated at the time, but worked out perfectly (Branch in 2002 and Mankins in 2005, shows how much I know). The two times he went with the BPA, in 2006, he got burned (Jackson and Maroney).

That being said, looking back at the last few drafts, I say to myself, where would this team be IF they had drafted Clay Matthews Jr and Dez Bryant. Those are two high impact guys that would have helped this team in two areas that are sorely lacking. A pass rushing demon and a large deep threat stud receiver. So I wonder to myself, should (and would) the Pats trade up for one of those kind of players this year with so many picks ? Would they trade up for a Von Miller or Julio Jones, I think getting one of these two would make the Pats a very dangerous team, and get rid of a very large need. But I think the Pats stick with their gameplan. What do you all think ?
I dont think you are describing BPA, I think you are talking about most popular player, or 'most athletic'.
I think BB does take a BPA approach. Just because his judgment of BPA doesnt include flashy doesnt mean he passes up the best player FOR HIS TEAM to fill a position need, because I do not believe he does that at all.

BPA, IMO, is only the way to go when that BPA is a once-in-a-decade sort of player. If Peyton Manning/Tom Brady is on the board and you're already set at QB, you still make the pick. Short of that, though, the value approach is going to be more likely to help the team.
Actually moving up or down to where the best player available also fits need is the best way to go, if you can.

Value (combination of best player available plus team needs) makes more sense than strictly adhering to a philosophy of taking the best player available. If the best player available at #17 is an inside linebacker or a nose tackle, would it make sense for the Pats to select that player with that pick?

I think this would be the most accurate way of interpreting how BB drafts. I would just go a little further and say that BB drafts the available player that has the most value in a Patriots system of grade, at the pick number available to them.

I don't believe that they take either the BPA or PN (position needs) route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes