PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boycotting Herald is working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the "changing political climate" is why the NY Times in on the verge of bankruptcy. That also explains the why the right wing LA Times has lost 40% of it's subscriptions and why the Minneapolis paper is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Gotta love that Globe performance also!!!

This is happening everywhere to all newpapers. People are moving to the non traditional media net and other formats are opening up. (Ever heard of Patsfans.com?)

Did Ramgate hurt the Globe? If it didn't, why the frontpage apology?

If "newspapers" are to survive, they will have to get back to basics. Namely, providing information on local stuff and events that will not have universal exposure on the net. The NY Post does well because New Yorkers like that. Also, small, neighborhood papers have seen an healthy growth spirt.

Throwing the local team under the bus is not a real "support the local area" exercise. That's quite obvious.

I guess the "changing political climate" is why the NY Times in on the verge of bankruptcy. That also explains the why the right wing LA Times has lost 40% of it's subscriptions and why the Minneapolis paper is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Gotta love that Globe performance also!!!

This is happening everywhere to all newpapers. People are moving to the non traditional media net and other formats are opening up. (Ever heard of Patsfans.com?)

Did Ramgate hurt the Globe? If it didn't, why the frontpage apology?

If "newspapers" are to survive, they will have to get back to basics. Namely, providing information on local stuff and events that will not have universal exposure on the net. The NY Post does well because New Yorkers like that. Also, small, neighborhood papers have seen an healthy growth spirt.

Throwing the local team under the bus is not a real "support the local area" exercise. That's quite obvious.

I agree, a boycott has nothing to do with certain forms of print media going down the tubes.

The problems with the Herald have nothing to do with the boycott. Newspapers are going down the tube good or bad.

The owner outsources printing to a cheaper source to pocket the difference, sells off the property for a few million and 200 people just like us lose their job...

Are we supposed to be celebrating that for some reason?

ok mr. know it all are you a media analyst???whether it is or not, who really cares? the point the herald is hurting is good news
you should have chosen a different thread title if that's how you feel. I'm no media analyst. i just have something you seem to be lacking and that's common sense. sorry to burst your boycotting wet dream.

it might not be just the internet community. everyone is NE is ticked off at them, so people may just refuse to buy the print edition as well.
people have moved on buddy. most people aren't even paying attention to whats going on in Iraq never mind being angry at a paper. i don't think people are making a conscience effort not to buy the herald. people can just get there news from so many different sources and they do.

you should have chosen a different thread title if that's how you feel. I'm no media analyst. i just have something you seem to be lacking and that's common sense. sorry to burst your boycotting wet dream.
whow, people need to chill, it just was something i threw out for discussion during the deadist part of the season, its obvious our boycott didnt have a direct effect, maybe a little, but i put it out for the masses of patsfans.com who are boycottting, telling us that it had no effect is stating the obvious, loosing jobs i dont think anyone is celebrating, chill people the herald gave us 4 months of misery, and tarnished our team for ever!

ok mr. know it all are you a media analyst???whether it is or not, who really cares? the point the herald is hurting is good news

Not really, your thread title would leave one to believe that you are saying the Herald boycott is working. The trurth of the matter is this: The Herald (and all newspapers) are a dying medium. People can get their news from so many sources, that there is no need for newspapers. In the world of wireless interent, and Blackberrys, you have your news on demand, when you want it, how you want it.

You would be hard pressed to find a person under the age of forty that buys the paper every day. There are some, but the vast majority get their news from the web and tv.

The pats fan boycott on the herald had no effect on the paper.... Infact, the increased traffic that was caused by the spygate scandel just inflated their numbers, and gave them better stats for thier sales teams to pitch. Won't help though, newspaper is all but done.

Last edited:
thanks for the ground breaking info

dont worry about anyone losing there jobs at the herald because the so called boycott here is having zero affect on the herald.

Don't be so sure. It is not the papers we aren’t buying that is killing them it is the advertisers pulling out. I know I have asked a few advertisers if their placing ads in the Herald means they approve of the Herald’s journalistic integrity. Tomase and the editor who green lighted this must go. Until they go I won’t buy the paper and will boycott not the Herald, but their advertisers. Maybe I’m tilting at a windmill, but that is my choice. I hope the Herald does the right thing and fires those responsible. I don’t want to see Boston turn into a 1 paper town but I would rather have 1 paper than 1 paper and a rag pretending to be a real paper. Till they are responsible, they are a rag.

Last edited:
Says the guy who thought pats fans were sinking the herald....[/QUOTEno you obviously think that, i threw it for discussion and it seems like you are making really stupid assumptions

I'm not sure what you are saying, but printing at a newer facility 90 miles away is not an advantage.

Keep in mind that they went first to the Globe publisher and begged them to print the Herald (yeah right!) before settling on the facilities they will now use.

The presses may have been 50+ years old, but it was the money for the land that made them sell, not the age of the equipment.
You could be right about the land. What i was trying to get at is that old mechanical presses need alot of care,matianence and usually at least three people to run them.Since everything is mechanical one lever imparts on another that one on another all the way down the line wheen the presses get old the tolerances are sloppy its harder to keep the paper cetered and running at the desired rate so the ink doesn't smear. This takes skilled pressmen that make a lot of money. The newer computerised presses can be run by one pressman if need be. But it cost about 3 million for a new Hidelberg for example.A paper as big as the Herald would need a number of new Hidelbergs to keep up so its easier to outsource to someone that has newer equipment i quess.
If you won the Herald and your not sure of what the readership is going tobe in five years would you invest in 9-12 million for new presses?

Last edited:
Says the guy who thought pats fans were sinking the herald....[/QUOTEno you obviously think that, i threw it for discussion and it seems like you are making really stupid assumptions

No, your back - tracking.... You title the thread, "Boycotting Herald is working" - then we find this gem when we open the thread: "annouced big layoffs and cost cutting, ohhh to bad!!!". Pretty sure that sums up the fact that you where saying the Herald boycott was working, and then offered evidence with a link talking about layoff's.

You only started claiming that this thread was to "spark discussion", AFTER pretty much every poster who knows a thing or two about the media, told you newspaper (as an industry) was tanking.

:)

Last edited:
It's a Free Market. The Herald broke its compact with a significant part of its core audience by printing extremely damaging yet unsupported and unverifiable rumors about the Patriots that fanned an international media frenzy that reached the halls of Congress. Now, along with other market forces, this has caused the paper to have to pay the price that is exacted of any business that loses touch with its fundamental reason to exist in a Free Market, viz., the support of its customers.

Too effing bad. I'm sorry people are losing their jobs, but it's no different than the tens of thousands of bank tellers and low level, white collar managers who've lost their jobs over the last couple of years because of incompetent management and irresistable market forces.

The Herald is toast and an anachronism. It will die a slow tabloid death, befitting a tabloid. It couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys.

No, your back - tracking.... You title the thread, "Boycotting Herald is working" - then we find this gem when we open the thread: "annouced big layoffs and cost cutting, ohhh to bad!!!". Pretty sure that sums up the fact that you where saying the Herald boycott was working, and then offered evidence with a link talking about layoff's.

You only started claiming that this thread was to "spark discussion", AFTER pretty much every poster who knows a thing or two about the media, told you newspaper (as an industry) was tanking.

:)
man you need to leave the keyboards, shut if off , and go out and take a nice long walk and breath in that fresh air

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes