PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boycotting Herald is working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever, people lose their jobs all the time...I do feel a little bad for the 'little guys' who have gotten caught in a numbers crunch, but then again they were working for a crappy, poorly run newspaper. With blogs and the internet being what they are now, they had to have seen the writing on the wall...and if they didn't then shame on them for being ignorant of the trends within their industry.

I won't celebrate the Herald having tough times...aside from Tomase's little blunder I haven't spent more than a minute reading/discussing/thinking about that newspaper for years; honestly, looking at the front page was all I needed to see to realize that it was far from a reputable paper. That said I also won't mourn the (inevitable) loss of the newspaper, and my feelings have nothing to do with spygate and everything to do with the shift from the old guard (Buzz Bissinger's crew) to the new guard (ummm....everyone else).

trust me it has nothing to do with any boycott. newspapers everywhere are struggling. they are a dieing business.
I know. How stupid to think a internet community of Pats fans are responsible for the Herald's struggles. No silly boycott by Pats fans here has had any affect on the Herald.

Well, it's funny that the Globe, while losing 10% ad revenue, is not having to lay anyone off and the Herald is.

In fact, things have gotton so desperate for the Herald, that the owner sold off their land to some developers and went hat in hand to the Globe publishers to see if they would also publish the Herald.

After being laughed out of there, they are considering publishing the paper 90minutes away at an existing publishing plant.

Maybe the boycott isn't hurting them and maybe it is. Either way, those of us that are banning them should continue to do so until those lousy editors and fat boy are fired. If they had done that from the beginning, we wouldn't be boycotting them.

As for the innocent employees being laid off, we are not responsible for their job loss.... the idiots that screwed up and especially those that refuse to fire the screw-offs are the ones responsible.

For those of you lecturing us (not you Pujo), stop blaming us and put the blame where it belongs.

The Globe is hurting too and making cutbacks to adapt to the changing media market. They have embraced the internet to a level the Herald did not, and they are laying off the fat cat columnists whose profiles are becoming increasingly too costly to maintain. Kinda like BB lopping off the underperforming but expensive aging veteran. Seeing the same thing in on air media. The Globe bought out Edes and McMullen recently and in a manner of speaking alienated Borges to the point he quit. One of Ryan or Shank could be caught in their next go round, or more likely Cafardo, but there will be more changing of the guard at the Globe sooner or later. But that is what companies do to survive, consolidate and cost cut and adapt to the market and go with less expensive employees.

The Globe knows all they have to do is outlast the Herald and they will survive and perhaps even thrive in a one paper market. They've done well at identifying and attracting young talent - unfortunately they were unable to hold on to it until recently because they were saddled with so many pseudo celebrity columnists. They are beginning to turn over their roster of late though, again a page out of Bill's book. Young and hungry will increasingly push out purportedly savvy but increasingly lazy. Readers want insight. We've tired of their predictable opinions based on years of suffering them.

Is John Tomase dead yet?

I don't relish in other people suffering. The people who are getting laid off had nothing to do with Tomase's story. Even if the boycott did cause this, why would you be happy that you sent a guy working in the advertising or accounting department to the unemployment line?

I agree that the boycott probably had little effect on this layoff. The Herald has been struggling for years. How many people are actually participating in this Herald boycott? A few hundred? If that.

If the sports department of the Herald had any responsibility in this layoff, it is probably because the quality of writing has gone down in recent years and the Globe has vastly improved. Only five years ago the Herald had a better sports writing staff than the Globe, but not anymore. The Globe has influxed their writing staff with strong writers like Mike Reiss while solid writers for the Herald in the past like Michael Felger (I guess he is no longer with the Herald anymore) and Gery Calahan (yes, both used to be very good sports writers) have turned into hack writers.

I do not like one paper cities...and if the Herald goes down it is not a good thing in teh larger picture. I remember when the city had three...and that was even better. I don't like the Heral..think it is shoddy...but it's demise will not help in the larger picture.

I don't like to see people lose their jobs. These are rough enough times as it is what with people choosing between gas and groceries. That's insane.

But it does seem like newspapers are going the way of the dinosaur. Boycotts have nothing to do with it. It's all about the internet.

I doubt the "boycott" has anything to do with this. I think the internet has more to do with this than anything.

Who called the morality police?? Tomase isnt one of the people getting fired so I am continuing my boycott

dude you got to boycott the herald regardless of whether tomase is there. tomase had people above him who chose to run that story and ruin our chances of getting a perfect season. the whole paper is responsible. if the editors decide to fire tomase and the sports editors and sell the paper to new ownership, then maybe i'll read it.

i honestly hope they can tomase

YAY!! LET'S CELEBRATE BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR JOBS!! :rolleyes:

I know. How stupid to think a internet community of Pats fans are responsible for the Herald's struggles. No silly boycott by Pats fans here has had any affect on the Herald.

it might not be just the internet community. everyone is NE is ticked off at them, so people may just refuse to buy the print edition as well.

I don't see any reason to be happy about 180 locals losing their jobs. Its actually somewhat sad. Heck, I don't even want Tomasse to lose his job, only see some sort of accoutability (suspension, reassignment, something). If anything this news makes me want to end the Boycott.

Actually, I want Tomase to get dragged behind a walkup in Dorchester and have a couple of Irish Southie locals beat his retahed goof-a s s to a bloody pulp while they play "Jump Around" by House of Pain and then urinate into his open, bleeding wounds, but that's just me.

Actually, I want Tomase to get dragged behind a walkup in Dorchester and have a couple of Irish Southie locals beat his retahed goof-a s s to a bloody pulp while they play "Jump Around" by House of Pain and then urinate into his open, bleeding wounds, but that's just me.
Unless "Jump Around" by House of Pain is part of the torture, I'd prefer that song not be played anywhere by anyone at any time.

Not to fret Herald fans:confused: The RAG is going to be printed in Chicoppee at the former WSJ facility M-F . In Norwood on Sat.and Sun. The Harold says its press's are fifty yrs old and out of date translation they aren't computer controlled an take maybe 3-4 men to run them. The press's at the WSJ are almost new.

Last edited:
Some people are taking this hard....whew.....I hate Tomase...think he's a boob...but I just want him to be shunned and looked at like the creep he is...tarred and feathered??? ....Nahhh...just see him looked at as the fraud he is...

I take NO pleasure knowing that ordinary folks at the Herald are losing their jobs. It's even worse than that because the industry is dying, noplace else to go, so many middle aged people have to change their entire careers...not easy. Families are deeply affected.

Be careful what you as a fan wish for, especially over something as trivial as trash mouthing a football team.

Remember that Bob Kraft paid the Herald to run a congrats ad for the Celtics. He and BB are the ones personally hurt by the Thomasse travesty, not us, not in any serious way.

"Yesterday's news comes at a gloomy time for the newspaper business. Buyouts, layoffs, rising energy and transportation costs, and a weakening national economy have made the past few months particularly perilous. Many leading media companies, including Gannett Co., McClatchy Co., and The New York Times Co., which owns The Boston Globe, reported a 10 percent decrease or more in ad revenue during the first five months of 2008."

Good call.

Newsprint media is dying a slow death. Why get ink stains on you hand to read yesterday's news when you can find up to the hour mis-reported facts online for free.

Not to fret Herald fans:confused: The RAG is going to be printed in Chicoppee at the former WSJ facility M-F . In Norwood on Sat.and Sun. The Harold says its press's are fifty yrs old and out of date aka they aren't computer controlled an take maybe 3-4 men to run them. The press's at the WSJ are almost new.

I'm not sure what you are saying, but printing at a newer facility 90 miles away is not an advantage.

Keep in mind that they went first to the Globe publisher and begged them to print the Herald (yeah right!) before settling on the facilities they will now use.

The presses may have been 50+ years old, but it was the money for the land that made them sell, not the age of the equipment.

They sell a product. We buy it.

If they start selling us a lousy product, why shouldn't we stop buying it?

All I (and many, many others) have done is stop buying their lousy product (to include giving their site any hits). It was the poor choices of their writers and editors that ultimately cost these people their jobs IMO.

Yes, the entire industry is hurting, but not every newspapers is selling their assets and renting out publishing services 90 miles out of town while laying off part of their workforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back