Welcome to PatsFans.com

Boy King wanted timetable for exiting Kosovo

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, May 1, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Flashback to 1999, when George W. Bush was governor of Texas. Then, Bush criticized President Clinton for not setting a timetable for exiting Kosovo.

George W. Bush, 4/9/99, Houston Chronicle:

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is.” ​

And on the specific need for a timetable:

George W. Bush, 6/5/99, Scripps Howard/Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.” ​

Despite his past statements, Bush now refuses to apply the same standard to his war and smears those who want a similar timetable for Iraq.
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

(sigh....this man is so sad)
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What?....
    No rumpswab neocon comments about how Clinton lied or Carter was a coward?
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Its coming.....

while we wait, I will spin this one for fun...

"Kosovo was not the front on the war on terror, Iraq is the front. We should never forget the lessons of September the 11th"
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

OW!
    I think that last one gave me an anurism!
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

again, Boy King actually said this:

“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.”

wow... Hypocricy, thy is name is 'new conservative'...
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Very interesting as to who is and who is not responding to these comments, perhaps they have to read Captains Quarters, Town Hall or Drudge to know how to change the topic, confuse the issue, start talking about Billy Blue Dress or something else irrevelent.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Kosovo wasn't authorized by congress. Iraq was. Therefore, Iraq is the CIC's puppy. Furthermore, because the action in Kosovo was not authorized with congressional legislation, it fell under the War Powers Resolution which restriced action to 60 days. Now, don't get me wrong here, I supported action in Kosovo, and much like today, the politics of the times tended to dictate who said want, and what positions were taken with respect to what was going on. Dem president taking action, repub house/senate *****ing about it. Repub president taking action, Dem house/senate *****ing about it. Where I see your point in citing GW's words from '99 and what he's facing today, the situations were completely different with respect to the arguements, and legal issues being made.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Guess this and all the bi..tching makes your point right, GWB never said any of this in the right context therefore it was ok for him to say it and not have it apply to any other situation. "Victory means exit strategy" does not apply at all in this situation, I think that is what John Kerry was talking about in the last election.. however, his message got real confused. Before everyone gets their tightie whiteys in a bunch I do not like Kerry, but I think this is what he was talking about.
  10. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

IIRC...the GOp was also seriously mulling slashing funding for the troops in the Balkans. But then something crazy happened....Clinton and the multinational forces led us to victory and Milosovic was tried and convicted.

Am I way off here???:D
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Sure, you can make a basic arguement about his words then, and what people are saying to him now. It being 8 years ago, and I not being as interested in politics then as I am now (1999 was the sickest partying, and most fun I've ever had in my life :D ), it's hard for me to personally remember the nuances of the times. However, I do remember enough to know that there were exact questions of legality involved. There was a profound discussion regarding the 60 day limitation of the WPR. Furthermore, there were also resolutions passed that specifically prohibited ground forces from being used. Again, it was 8 years ago, and I wasn't as interested as I am now. There is a general similarity, but the particulars of Kosovo, it's legal authorization, Iraq, the type of struggle each faces, and the added issue of a UN/NATO mandate make it considerably different. I think anyway, but the general point is understood by me mind you.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Yes, you might be, but I know the question of whether or not the action was constitutional, since it never had congressional authorization (which Iraq has), was being made by the Clinton Admin by citing it's being funded by congress. Again I remind you all, I was in favor of, even prior to our involvement, of military aid in Kosovo.
  13. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hmmm...that seems like a stretch. Are you telling me that Clinton committed forces without any form of Congressional authorization?

They had to give him the money. This isn't Iran Contra we're talking about.

As fas as authorization for Iraq goes, if you look at the language used, its easy to see how it was downplayed by the GOP at the time as a tool to get Saddam to comply, as opposed to a commitment to war. Recall BUsh said war was the last option when all else had failed, including UN SC authorization. Well, he clearly renegged on that and never got the required UN authorization.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

It all comes down to the WPR. The president can send forces/use force for 60 days without the express written authority (for war) of congress being needed. However, without said written authorization, the 60 days stands as the limit. Clinton was voted authority to use air strikes and what have you, but was not given a war authorization. Now, the reasons why he wasn't can be debated and all, and I wouldn't try to tell you that politics wasn't a reason why. However, there were contitutional differences between Iraq and Kosovo. If you read up on the WPR (or War Powers Act) you'll get an understanding as to why.
  15. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

seems trivial, but I will.
  16. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +87 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

There wasn't a single US serviceman on the ground in Kosovo.
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

gosh, that's odd...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_War
    On June 12, after Milosevic accepted the conditions, KFOR began entering the war-torn land of Kosovo. KFOR, a NATO force, had been preparing to conduct combat operations but in the end its mission was only peacekeeping.[4] It was based upon the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps headquarters commanded by then Lieutenant General Mike Jackson of the British Army. It consisted of British forces (a brigade built from 4th Armoured and 5th Airborne Brigades), a French Brigade, a German brigade, which entered from the west while all the other forces advanced from the south, and Italian and United States Army brigades. The US contribution, the Initial Entry Force consisted of forces from the 2nd Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment from Fort Bragg, N.C; the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina; the 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment from Schweinfurt Germany, and Echo Troop, 4th Cavalry Regiment, also from Schweinfurt, Germany. Also attached to the U.S. force was the Greek Army's 501st Mechanized Infantry Battalion. The initial US forces established their area of operation around the towns of Urosevic, the future Camp Bondsteel, and Gnjilane, at Camp Monteith, and spent four months - the start of a stay which continues to date - establishing order in the south east sector of Kosovo. Even though greetings were temporary, during initial incursion the US soldiers were greeted by Albanians young and old cheering and throwing flowers as US Soldiers and KFOR rolled through their villages. At least three U.S. soldiers from the Initial Entry Force lost their lives.
    Last edited: May 2, 2007