PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BoxRck..Any NFLE observations from wk2????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just wondered if you had looked at the tapes...I had TV trouble with the NFL Network channel..so I missed the games..I guess Spann had an INT and Ventrone was in on 6 tackles....

Steitz was the cream of the crop again, he played much nastier this week with a number of pancakes and one really nice play where he came off a DT of a DT to make a diving play on a blitzing LB to keep him off the QB. He did make a nice tackle on a LB shooting the gap behind him on a sweep outside - but he didn't get called, and he did appear to slow late in the second half, but he did a lot of running in the game blocking on the second level.

Spann did make an int on a poor decision by the QB, but he was in the right place and caught the ball, can't ask for much more then that. He also made a nice open field tackle on Little John Flowers when he caught a ball in the flat and Spann had to come up quickly to corral him. He knocked another ball away in 2 minute drill coverage - not bad in very limited playing time.

Musinski is credited with two catches for 6 yards, but of the two I saw, one was taken back on an accepted QB roughing penalty. He seems to be a possession receiver who can stretch the field a bit. He did drop one on a broken play where the ball was snapped over the QB's head and he picked it up and rolled out to try and hit Musinski who smartly came back to the sideline to help - tough catch, but he got his hands on it. He got in very little playing time and was closely watched after last week, though he did seem to get open okay, but the QBs were looking elsewhere. He also was gunner on a punt, but got flattened by an inside blocker, though it seemed to be as he was trying to avoid the punt coming down on his head - see Smith, Zuriel.

Zuriel Smith dropped one pass, made two nice catches, one on a diving play in the end zone as Henson scrambled away from a rusher who beat Steitz (after 4 seconds) and threw a nice pass low and away for Smith to make a play. He really impressed me with his punt returner plays this week. Once by shifty running to gain positive yards behind horrible blocking. The second when the punt was shanked and came down on the heads of Musinski and the blocker coming out to get him, the ball bounced off them and Z made a nice grab on the run to get the ball and make a good gain against a short field for the coverage.

I still have to re-watch Ventrone and Roehl; Mortensen didn't play this week either.

Thanks Box......great to hear a bit about what is happening..Looking forward to your observations on Ventrone...Roehl had 2 Holding penalties...3 for the year...yuk!!

Pats726 said:
Thanks Box......great to hear a bit about what is happening..Looking forward to your observations on Ventrone...Roehl had 2 Holding penalties...3 for the year...yuk!!
Roehl was in a fierce battle all game with Omar Nazel who was the 'other' DE across from Kenechi Udeze on the first USC National Champion team. It was a much better test then the National player he faced last week - I'd say he did a good job. I saw one holding penalty, it was as much a result of coverage and the QB holding the ball as Nazel's strength - he has a powerful bull rush that gave Jeff a heck of workout and knocked him on his heels a few times. Amsterdam had some good runs behind Jeff, he looked good at the point of attack, but isn't as effective an upfield blocker as the more mobile Steitz. Amsterdam's blocking scheme seems to be complex, I think that is causing some problems on the line and the QBs don't seem able to help the Center direct it as well.

Bubba looked like the best suspect to force a Diamond Ferri fumble in the first half - the ball could be seen coming out shortly after he arrived. He looks good in coverage, playing man on the TEs and holding his zone well. He is playing the run with good discipline, holding his backside responsibility when they have him playing as a fourth LB. He had a sweet play where he was being blocked by the TE and fought through the block (and an uncalled hold) to make the tackle. He played a much smarter game, playing more under control and not trying as hard for knockout blows which helped him wrap up better.

Both had good games, but Steitz is the Pats' NFLE player of the week for me.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Roehl was in a fierce battle all game with Omar Nazel who was the 'other' DE across from Kenechi Udeze on the first USC National Champion team. It was a much better test then the National player he faced last week - I'd say he did a good job. I saw one holding penalty, it was as much a result of coverage and the QB holding the ball as Nazel's strength - he has a powerful bull rush that gave Jeff a heck of workout and knocked him on his heels a few times. Amsterdam had some good runs behind Jeff, he looked good at the point of attack, but isn't as effective an upfield blocker as the more mobile Steitz. Amsterdam's blocking scheme seems to be complex, I think that is causing some problems on the line and the QBs don't seem able to help the Center direct it as well.

Bubba looked like the best suspect to force a Diamond Ferri fumble in the first half - the ball could be seen coming out shortly after he arrived. He looks good in coverage, playing man on the TEs and holding his zone well. He is playing the run with good discipline, holding his backside responsibility when they have him playing as a fourth LB. He had a sweet play where he was being blocked by the TE and fought through the block (and an uncalled hold) to make the tackle. He played a much smarter game, playing more under control and not trying as hard for knockout blows which helped him wrap up better.

Both had good games, but Steitz is the Pats' NFLE player of the week for me.

Box - is "Bubba" R.Ventrone? Thanks for your updates on the Euro games!

PatsChick87 said:
Box - is "Bubba" R.Ventrone? Thanks for your updates on the Euro games!
yes..it is...Bubba is an old name for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back