PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Box_O_Rocks - My Draft Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on your priority picks and using all the Pats non-comp picks (24, 28, 91, 127, 180, 202) to parlay into 3 day one picks:

Revis
Harris
Wendling

Then use the comp picks to get:

Burgess
Herring
D.Wright
J.Rowe

I don't agree with all of your priority picks, but that looks like a pretty sweet haul to me. Solid contributers for this year plus insurance for 2008 FA/retirement possibilities. Didn't get a WR but I'm still hopeful that a couple of the non-Welker/Jackson group pan out for 2008.

Based on your priority picks and using all the Pats non-comp picks (24, 28, 91, 127, 180, 202) to parlay into 3 day one picks:

Revis
Harris
Wendling

Then use the comp picks to get:

Burgess
Herring
D.Wright
J.Rowe

Revis and Harris would comprise the sweetest first round that I could imagine. I wonder if we can somehow move one of those firsts up high enough to get Revis (or even Hall).

Revis and Harris would comprise the sweetest first round that I could imagine. I wonder if we can somehow move one of those firsts up high enough to get Revis (or even Hall).

Trade #24 and #28 to GB for #16 (assuming Revis is still there) and #47. Would probably have to jump back up to #40 or so to get Harris but that should be doable. Probably leaves the Pats with one more non-comp pick to take a safety. Obviously this is a shot in the dark but it falls within the realm of possibility.

Excellent job, Box. Needless to say we disagree on many of the players but who knows who is right or wrong (I'm right)

Now, tuck yourself in and get rested for the big day. I have finished racking my brain on this and on my way to play 9 holes.

I did conclude last night that if the Patriots stay where they are, they will take McCauley and Harris. Maybe not in that order.

Of course you're right, and I'm sure your Mrs. has some pithy sayings for such rare moments...fortunately, we both love you for you! :D

Nice job Box! Haven't had the time to put into all the research this year that I did last. Finally getting the big push on for a move, which also means we have one set of yunguns movin out and one movin in! All that and work. Toast this year.

Anyway, I seem to differ on many of your placements, but again, you did the leg work and I didn't.

Glad to hear you speak up for Meriweather after the omission. To me, I want my db's as mean as a snake on the field. Rodney has never been accused of being the "Our Sisters of Mercy" player of the year. So that whole brawl thing to me is a positive, not a negative, when channelled under Rodney's watchful eye. From everything I've read, off the field he had a hard life but stayed trouble free and prospered from his upbringing. This aint Clarett or Pac Man we're talkin about. He just takes his aggression out on the field.

Should be a fun weekend and probably a frustrating one for many of us.

Carriker is a 6-6 296lb OLB? Sounds like a steal.
You must have missed the earlier fun! Part of the appeal Carriker has for me is his athleticism:
Code:
Combine Results                    Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes                Dates: 03/07/07
Height: 6060                       40 Yrd Dash: 4.72
Weight: 296                        20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
40 Yrd Dash: 4.90                  10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
20 Yrd Dash: 2.81
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 33
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'2"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 7.06

See how he compares to Patrick Willis (ranked by most as #1 ILB)
Code:
Combine Invite: Yes                Dates: 03/20/07 
Height: 6011                       40 Yrd Dash: 4.37
Weight: 242                        20 Yrd Dash: 2.54
40 Yrd Dash: 4.51                  10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.62                  20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.37
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53                  3-Cone Drill: 7.10
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 39
Broad Jump: 9'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.46
3-Cone Drill: 7.23

And Paul Posluszny, who many have as the #1 OLB.
Code:
Combine Invite: Yes                Dates: 03/22/07 
Height: 6015                       40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
Weight: 238                        20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
40 Yrd Dash: 4.70                  10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
20 Yrd Dash: 2.73
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 9'8"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: 6.94
Carriker has comparable short shuttle and 3-cone measurables, he's just as good as these two at changing direction. He's coming out of a college system where he was asked to read & react (similar to the Pats' two-gap) instead of pinning his ears back and trying to get to the QB. He is already a natural fit at the Pats 3-4 DE. He was also asked to drop into underneath zone coverage in zone blitz packages while at Nebraska. This kid has a head start on the Pats' system, both at DE and Willie's old OLB.

My "outside the box" vision is a front seven of...
Code:
           Warren          Wilfork          Seymour
Carriker           Thomas            Bruschi        Vrabel
You force a team to pass with that run stuffing front seven, yet you also have some decent coverage and pass rush at LB, and you don't need to play the S in the box for the run, making the passing game rough too. Call it my fantasy, but BB isn't above trying new things, so I dreamed up a doozy for him. :D

Last edited:
A few comments Box:

Wendling will never make it to round 4 If there is a run on Safety, probably not. He has "small" school/conference working against him, and with all the higher ranked Safeties in this draft, teams who "need" a Safety should have the slot filled. Also, he's a 4th round "priority," which I use to identify players I'd "reach" for in the third.

Where are the punters? Sepulveda and the other guy. The Pats have three Punters on the roster, I'm satisfied that Miller has enough competition. I included punters in the UDFA list to consider, but I saw no need to draft a Punter.

These UDFA values will almost certainly be drafted in rounds 5-7 according to all the data I've been able to find. Why do you rank them so low?

Steve Breaston More return man than WR at Michigan.

Jacob Ford An Oversight

Nate Ilaoa I don't see him going any earlier than round 7, I valued him as a UDFA for the Pats.

Le'Ron McClain A slow fullback, there are short TE's who I have targeted to fill that role (Rosario, Coats, Harline).

Marshall Yanda He is in round four.

Chad Nkang LB to SS conversion, if I get Safety help earlier, his value is lower

Enoka Lucas OC/OG types are deep in this draft, and on the Pats' roster. I liked other candidates better and listed him there as a fallback should he be available and there be an opening when the UDFA hunt starts.

Justise Hairston
Hairston is right where NFLDraftScout has him ranked, which works for me, he's a fallback option who I may "reach" for in the 6/7 range if I don't get a RB earlier. :rocker:

BOR, no love for Dwayne Bowe or James Marten?
I watched Bowe's Senior Bowl week and felt he was a better value in the second. I'll let someone else have him.

James Marten projects to RT, those RT who I listed are all better fits for OG if they get moved inside, and they should be available later. Martin's 6'7" just reduces Tommy's vision if he gets moved inside, 6'6" Free & Otto both project better to LT for me - and of course RT - plus there are Hall and Taylor later who played at RT, but look to be good swing tackle candidates or good OG conversions. I just let Marten slide.

Thanks for the detailed response Box. Given the "untradableness" of the Pats comp picks, I really feel that they are better served trying to wring a sleeper out of their late (6-7) round picks rather than "paying them forward" iuntil they get a "better" pick next year. The late rounds are always a crap shoot. I'd like to see the Pats take their shot at maybe finding a guy or two who will help push this years SB run over the top

I'm curious as to why you don't have any 'priority targets' or 'priority players' listed in round one, yet you have those categories in later rounds.

Posluszny -- missing because he's undersized? Doesn't fit the defense?

You list 25 round two prospects. Do you get a sense we'll somehow acquire a second-rounder?
My "trade-up" targets are the round one priority, I'd move up for those players. Everybody else is good value if they slide, but I may decide the better value for the Pats is in the Second round priorities.

I would consider Pos in the third for the Pats' system. I like the kid, but I look at the Pats 3-4 and consider him a lesser value for that system.

The Pats have two late firsts and Asante Samuel - I expect extra day one picks to develop.

Thanks for the detailed response Box. Given the "untradableness" of the Pats comp picks, I really feel that they are better served trying to wring a sleeper out of their late (6-7) round picks rather than "paying them forward" iuntil they get a "better" pick next year. The late rounds are always a crap shoot. I'd like to see the Pats take their shot at maybe finding a guy or two who will help push this years SB run over the top
The Pats get four comp pick chances to find that rough diamond, and looking at my 6/7 and UDFA priorites, there are some nice prospects to covet. I also expect the Pats to move on day one, so they could wind up with additional day two picks from that process.

Nice job Box! Haven't had the time to put into all the research this year that I did last. Finally getting the big push on for a move, which also means we have one set of yunguns movin out and one movin in! All that and work. Toast this year.

Anyway, I seem to differ on many of your placements, but again, you did the leg work and I didn't.

Glad to hear you speak up for Meriweather after the omission. To me, I want my db's as mean as a snake on the field. Rodney has never been accused of being the "Our Sisters of Mercy" player of the year. So that whole brawl thing to me is a positive, not a negative, when channelled under Rodney's watchful eye. From everything I've read, off the field he had a hard life but stayed trouble free and prospered from his upbringing. This aint Clarett or Pac Man we're talkin about. He just takes his aggression out on the field.

Should be a fun weekend and probably a frustrating one for many of us.
I don't mind the occasional late hit or hit out of bounds to remind folks there is an enforcer on the field. Stomping folks in the middle of a brawl doesn't fall under the umbrella of enforcer. Aggression channeled into play making is healthier than aggression channeled into a one game suspension or a review under the new Goodall rules.

Friday morning bump

Leftover Day One targets

- Josh Gattis, FS, Wake Forest
- Doug Free, OT, Northern Illinois
- Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State
- Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon
- Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State
- A.J. Davis, CB, NC State
- Jay Moore, DE/OLB, Nebraska
- Manuel Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech
- Paul Soliai, NT/DE, Utah
- Aundrae Allison, WR, East Carolina
- Josh Beekman, OG, BC
- Fred Bennett, CB, South Carolina
- Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly
- Scott Chandler, TE, Iowa
- David Clowney, WR, Virginia Tech
- Zak DeOssie, ILB, Brown
- Leroy Harris, OC, NC State
- Michael Johnson, SS, Arizona
- Courtney Taylor, WR, Auburn

Round Four priority players: Targeted value/fits at positions of need, listed alphabetically.

- Dallas Baker, WR, Florida
- Chris Davis, WR, Florida State
- Mike Otto, OT, Purdue
- Kevin Payne, FS, Louisiana-Monroe
- Brian Robison, ILB/OLB, Texas
- John Wendling, FS, Wyoming

Round Four value targets: These are players with Fourth round grades who project as good value/fit for the Pats, listed alphabetically.

- Allan Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State
- Doug Datish, OL, Ohio State
- Clark Harris, TE, Rutgers
- Antonio Johnson, DE/NT, Mississippi State
- Mike Jones, OG, Iowa
- Adam Koets, OT, Oregon State
- Toby Korrodi, QB, Central Missouri State
- Rhema McKnight, WR, Notre Dame
- Brandon Myles, WR, West Virginia
- Joe Newton, TE, Oregon State
- Chansi Stuckey, WR, Clemson
- Robert Turner, OG, New Mexico
- Darius Walker, RB, Notre Dame

Round Five priority players: Targeted value/fits at positions of need, listed alphabetically.

- Corey Graham, CB, New Hampshire
- Gabe Hall, OT, Texas Tech
- DeAndre Jackson, CB, Iowa State
- Brandon McDonald, CB, Memphis
- Daren Stone, SS, Maine
- Herb Taylor, OT, TCU

Round Five value targets: These are players with Fifth round grades who project as good value/fit for the Pats, listed alphabetically.

- David Ball, WR, New Hampshire
- Jacob Bender, OT, Nicholls State
- Melvin Bullitt, SS, Texas A&M
- Craig Dahl, SS, North Dakota State
- Tala Esera, OG/OT, Hawaii
- Mike Jones, OG, Iowa
- Uche Nwaneri, OG, Purdue
- Tucker Peterson, OG, New Hampshire
- Dallas Sartz, OLB, Southern Cal
- Andrew Shanle, FS, Nebraska
- Ryan Smith, CB, Florida
- C.J. Wilson, CB, Baylor

Sixth/Seventh Round priority:

- Desmond Bishop, ILB, California
- Prescott Burgess, OLB, Michigan
- Daniel Coats, TE, BYU
- Cullen Finnerty, QB, Grand Valley State
- Jonny Harline, TE, BYU
- Will Herring, SS, Auburn
- Justin Hickman, OLB, UCLA
- David Lofton, FS, Stanford
- Tim Mixon, CB, California
- Matt Moore, QB, Oregon State
- Dan Mozes, OC, West Virginia
- Dante Rosario, TE, Oregon
- Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada
- Darnell Stapleton, OC, Rutgers
- John Talley, CB, Duke
- Dwayne Wright, RB, Fresno State
- Zac Taylor, QB, Nebraska

UDFA priority:

- Larry Anam, CB, Boston College
- Bryan Andrews, OLB, Wake Forest
- Alan Ball, CB, Illinois
- Geoff Bean, SS, Colgate
- Kody Bliss, P, Auburn
- John Bowie, CB, Cincinnati
- Clifton Dawson, RB, Harvard
- Ryan Dougherty, P, East Carolina
- William Gay, CB, Louisville
- Justise Hairston, RB, Central Connecticut State
- Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State
- Matt King, OLB, Maine
- Lane Kelly, LS, Nebraska
- Enoka Luca, OC, Oregon
- Vincent Marshall, WR, Houston
- Darren McCaleb, K, Southern Miss
- J.J. Milan, OLB, Nevada
- Madison Miller, OLB, Indiana State
- Dan Murray, TE, Connecticut
- Chad Nkang, SS, Elon
- Ola Dagunduro, NT, Nebraska
- Ramzee Robinson, CB, Alabama
- Justin Rogers, DE, Southern Methodist
- Syndric Steptoe, WR, Arizona
- Jason Trusnik, OLB, Ohio Northern
- Turner Booth, LS, Michigan
- Justin Warren, ILB, Texas A&M
- Brian Wingert, K, Northern Iowa

Additional UDFA values:

- Calvin Bannister, CB, Hampton
- Rashad Barksdale, SS, Albany (NY)
- Willis Barringer, FS, Michigan
- Mike Barrow, K, Idaho
- Steve Baylark, RB, Massachusetts
- Kyle Bessinger, OLB, UAB
- Mark Bihl, OC, Michigan
- Steve Breaston, WR, Michigan
- John Broussard, WR, San Jose State
- Abe Brown, ILB, Louisville
- Tristan Burge, SS, Eastern Illinois
- Dan Burks, RB, UAB
- Zach Catanese, FS, Arizona State
- Drew Clardy, LS, Rice
- Anton Clarkson, QB, Hofstra
- Brannon Condren, SS, Troy
- Marquice Cole, CB, Northwestern
- Alonzo Coleman, RB, Hampton
- Jon Corto, SS, Sacred Heart
- Brian Daniels, OG, Colorado
- Jessie Daniels, SS, LSU
- Damarcus Davis, WR, Tulane
- Mike D'Andrea, ILB, Ohio State
- Michael DePriest, WR, TCU
- John Deraney, K, North Carolina State
- Eric Deslauriers, WR, Eastern Michigan
- Kent DeVinney, LS, Southern Illinois
- Mike DeVito, DE, Maine
- Brad Ekwerekwu, WR, Missouri
- Aaron Fairooz, WR, Central Arkansas
- Joe Fernandez, WR, Fresno State
- Jacob Ford, OLB, Central Arkansas
- Roman Fry, OG, Clemson
- Brandon Frye, OT, Virginia Tech
- Joe Garcia, CB, Nevada
- Luke Getsy, QB, Akron
- Patrick Ghee, SS, Wake Forest
- Ryan Glasper, SS, Boston College
- Will Gulley, FS, Houston
- Matt Gutierrez, QB, Idaho State
- Marcus Hamilton, CB, Virginia
- Ded Harrington, ILB, Missouri
- Tuff Harris, CB, Montana
- Adam Hayward, SS/OLB, Portland State
- Matt Herian, TE, Nebraska
- Nate Ilaoa, RB, Hawaii
- Derrick Jones, DE, Grand Valley State
- Chase Johnson, OT, Wyoming
- Eddie Keele, OT, BYU
- Ryan Keenan, OG, Northwestern
- Andre Kirkland, SS, Kent State
- Rayshaun Kizer, CB, Walsh
- Christian Koegel, P, Massachusetts
- Billy Latsko, FB, Florida
- Louis Leonard, NT, Fresno State
- Brandon London, WR, Massachusetts
- Kurt Mann, OC, Nebraska
- Trumaine McBride, CB, Mississippi
- Ed McCarthy, OT, Yale
- Le'Ron McClain, FB, Alabama
- Ronnie McGill, RB, North Carolina
- Dan McGrath, OC, VA Tech
- Kevin "Boo" McLee, ILB, West Virginia
- Daniel Muir, NT, Kent State
- Matt Muncy, SS/ILB, Ohio
- Legedu Naanee, WR, Boise State
- Cory Niblock, OG/OT, Florida State
- Brandon Pace, K, Virginia Tech
- Perry Patterson, QB, Syracuse
- Leonard Peters, FS, Hawaii
- Greg Peterson, DE, North Carolina Central
- Blair Phillips, ILB, Oregon
- Chase Pittman, DE, LSU
- Maurice Price, WR, Charleston Southern
- Anthony Pudewell, TE, Nevada
- Mel Purcell, DE, Hawaii
- Kurt Quarterman, OG, Louisville
- Kerry Reed, WR, Michigan State
- Jay Richardson, DE, Ohio State
- Mike Richardson, CB, Notre Dame
- Nick Roach, ILB, NorthWestern
- Gijon Robinson, FB/TE, Missouri Western State
- Darius Sanders, DE, Oregon
- Dan Santucci, OG, Notre Dame
- Derek Schouman, FB/TE, Boise State
- Nic Schmitt, P, Virginia Tech
- Antonio Smith, CB, Ohio State
- Jeff Smith, QB, Georgetown (KY)
- Tre Smith, RB, Auburn
- Jay Staggs, SS, UNLV
- Derek Stanley, WR, Wisconsin - Whitewater
- Kyle Steffes, RB, North Dakota State
- Scott Stephenson, OC, Iowa State
- Josh Swogger, QB, Montana
- Kelly Talavou, NT, Utah
- Marco Thomas, WR, Western Illinois
- Matt Toeaina, DT, Oregon
- Steve Vallos, OT, Wake Forest
- Thaddaeus Washington, ILB, Colorado
- Andrew Wellock, K, Eastern Michigan
- Anthony Wollschlager, OC, Miam
- Abraham Wright, OLB, Colorado
- Marshall Yanda, OT/OG, Iowa
- Selvin Young, RB, Texas
- Justin Zwick, QB, Ohio State
Tracking my board en route round 3.

Last edited:
I ended up taking a new job that has bitten into all my free time so I wasn't able to be as active as I normally am the last month before a draft so I used your list a lot because most of our early views were in line so thanks for doing the work for me.

There's still some really good prospects left from this list. I like Gattis and Coe a lot.

I half (more than half actually) wonder if we'll be trading out to next year some more.

Tracking my board en route round 3.

That's an awful lot of day two prospects to consider (83) -- the Pats are bound to select most, if not all from such a lengthy list. I'd be interested in seeing a day two list of maybe 25-30 who fit best. Thus far, no one's attempted such a weeding out process.

I ended up taking a new job that has bitten into all my free time so I wasn't able to be as active as I normally am the last month before a draft so I used your list a lot because most of our early views were in line so thanks for doing the work for me.

There's still some really good prospects left from this list. I like Gattis and Coe a lot.

I half (more than half actually) wonder if we'll be trading out to next year some more.
Your Welcome. I don't see the value in trading forward again, though it may be the best situational option. BB needs 15+ players to flesh out the roster for Training Camp, may as well use the draft picks to create the best competition.

That's an awful lot of day two prospects to consider (83) -- the Pats are bound to select most, if not all from such a lengthy list. I'd be interested in seeing a day two list of maybe 25-30 who fit best. Thus far, no one's attempted such a weeding out process.
I'm pretty sure BB mentioned a draft board of around 200 during his EEI interview. 99 players went off the board yesterday, so my 83 probably isn't out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes