Welcome to PatsFans.com

Box O' Rocks and pats1....

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTS-80, Aug 23, 2006.

1. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

thanks for breaking down the plays. Overall, do you think Randy Hand has outplayed Wesley Britt? Thanks.
  2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Your very welcome, thanks for reading and applying your interpretation/observations to the discussions.

re: Hand v. Britt

I would be hard pressed to say one outplayed the other based on a preseason game (Atlanta, Az is in the to do file) where I wouldn't have a true appreciation for what BB/Dante was trying to have them do (BB's situational philosopophy seems to also involve creating the situations through assignments, in addition to normal flow of game developments), or the level of opponent they played against - speed rusher v. power rusher v. run stuffer, ad nauseum. What I can say is Hand looked much better then I expected at LT, based on the one All-Star game I saw,where he was playing RT. He seemed to have fewer problems dropping into protection and keeping Cassel's blindside covered. My recollection from Arizona is Britt was still above him on the depth chart based on playing time and substitutions, so Atlanta didn't radically change anything for him. I have him penciled in for the OT slot on the Practice Squad and Britt penciled in for the gameday inactive OT on the roster based on my guess that Dante hasn't seen enough yet to change the depth chart.
  3. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Good Lord!

A simple yes or no would have done it!:rofl:
  4. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Ah, but I didn't answer one of "your" questions, know your target audience my friend. :p
  5. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks Box. Has BB ever gone with just 3 tackles? (Light, Kaczur and O'Callagan). I guess Mankins could be an emergency tackle until the end of a game if it got that bad. And then we could get somebody off the PS.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2005
  6. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

That sounds like a plan if you're confident about the health of the players. But both Light and Kaczur are coming off injuries and O'Callaghan had a lot of injuries in college. Strikes me as very risky.
  7. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 10 / -9

Re: Evaluating RT

I went back and watched every AZ play watching and observing the RT performances. O'C played essentially the first half and Britt played the second half.

I felt that O'C was marginally better in the run game, but only on a few plays; and marginally worse in pass protection than Britt, again only on a few plays.

In short Britt was more consistent but O'C had a couple of impressive pancake blocks. I would expect a year in Dante's school to show, and Britt displayed the improved consistency that you want. O'C in a year might have a higher ceiling in the run game, but a lower ceiling in the pass protection game.

Both seldom got stalemated in the run game, unlike Brandon would sometimes do. Virtually every run, either RT was beyond the line of scrimmage. Gorin sometimes did not accomplish that and fought on his own side of the LoS.

Both looked competent enough to be above average starters at RT in the NFL.
  8. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I'm sure he has been down to 7 or fewer effectives during the season. Hochstein and Neal have both had to take tackle reps due to game injuries, that did not turn out well for us, not that Mankins isn't more athletic and experienced at OT - but if your not taking OT tackle reps in the NFL, emergency situations are the only time to plug you in outside with the "Franchise" in the pocket. :eek:
  9. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

He was down to 2 (Light, Gorin) for most of 2004 after Ashworth went down.

In 2005, he started with 4 (Light, Ashworth, Gorin, Kaczur), but Light only lasted 2 weeks before he was hurt.

In 2004, he started with 4, (Light, Ashworth, Gorin, Klemm), but we all know how long Klemm lasted (2 games)...

In 2003, he started with 4 (Light, Ashworth, Gorin, Klemm), but again, we all know how long Klemm lasted (3 games)...

In 2002, he started with 5 (Light, Jones, Klemm, Robinson-Randall, Ashworth).
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  10. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks guys for the info.

Another question that I was wondering about is whether Sullivan or Le Kevin Smith has stood out as the frontrunner for the backup NT job (which is an important roster spot).
  11. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

12. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 18 / -38

#50 Jersey

No, since 2000, BB has always entered the season with 4 OTs.
    2000: Klemm, Armstrong, Grant Williams, Greg Robinson-Randall
    2001: Klemm, Light, Grant Williams, Greg Robinson-Randall, Kenyatta Jones
    2002: Klemm, Light, Greg Robinson-Randall, Kenyatta Jones, Ashworth (PS)
    2003: Klemm, Light, Ashworth, Kenyatta Jones (waived mid-season), Gorin (PS)
    2004: Klemm, Light, Ashworth, Gorin
    2005: Light, Ashworth, Gorin, Kaczur, Britt (PS)
  13. arrellbee

arrellbee Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

In 2001, he started with 4 (Robinson-Randall, Klemm, Light, Williams)

In 2000, he started with 3 (Armstrong, Robinson-Randall, Williams)