Both Sides To Blame For Logan Mankins Contract Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Russ Goldman

A major off-season issue will be the contract situation with Logan Mankins, and whether or not the Patriots will re-sign him....

By: Russ Goldman

A major off-season issue will be the contract situation with Logan Mankins, and whether or not the Patriots will re-sign him....

Well done. I think from the pats perspective, they just question whether ANY guard should get top dollar. I think they believe that they can find another player who will be good enough. They probably see the job that Connolly did until Mankins gets back, think about guys like Hochstein and conclude that Mankins (and other guards) should not get major coin.

I hope we're both wrong and they find a way to keep this guy.

If we trade Mankins would we be able to get a 1st round pick in return or is the most we could hope for a 2nd? There are some pretty good OG prospects in round 2. But I don't know how they would stack up to Mankins.

If we trade Mankins would we be able to get a 1st round pick in return or is the most we could hope for a 2nd?
Let me put it this way: What did we get for the quarterback who replaced Brady in yesterday's Pro Bowl?

Mankins stays one more year. He will be franchised and reports to play to achieve agreed upon insentives and get to walk free next year. This similar to Samuals deal. Mankins gets to walk free and chase his big contract next year without the signing team having to deal with giveing up valuble picks. The Pats get Mankins for one more year to help transition the newly drafted OL prospects. NE will draft OT 1st rd. (Carimi,Castonzo),C/G 2nd RD. (Pouncey,Wisniewski), and G 3rd rd. (Ijalana). Pats. offer last year was honest and fair and will not change. Mankins did not agree and will not change his mind. Only options left sign and trade,not so easy for all sides to agree on terms of Draft compensation, contract, and accepible team for trade, or franchise sign and walk deal.

If we trade Mankins would we be able to get a 1st round pick in return or is the most we could hope for a 2nd? There are some pretty good OG prospects in round 2. But I don't know how they would stack up to Mankins.

Just to see what was out there, I'm certain that the team tried to peddle him. Just didn't get a team who either wanted to pay him or was agreed with the pat's compensation demands.

Last edited:
Mankins stays one more year. He will be franchised and reports to play to achieve agreed upon insentives and get to walk free next year. This similar to Samuals deal. Mankins gets to walk free and chase his big contract next year without the signing team having to deal with giveing up valuble picks. The Pats get Mankins for one more year to help transition the newly drafted OL prospects. NE will draft OT 1st rd. (Carimi,Castonzo),C/G 2nd RD. (Pouncey,Wisniewski), and G 3rd rd. (Ijalana). Pats. offer last year was honest and fair and will not change. Mankins did not agree and will not change his mind. Only options left sign and trade,not so easy for all sides to agree on terms of Draft compensation, contract, and accepible team for trade, or franchise sign and walk deal.

WRONG! Sorry but this makes NO sense. Samuel and the organization were so far apart in contract talks it was astounding. Mankins and Pats were VERY close, secondly Samuel was not in a situation were the CBA was going to expire in the upcoming months, Mankins is. The Pats most likely will franchise him, but once a new CBA is reached, all wheels are a go for re-signing Mankins. Then there will be more to report, but until then, all this speculation of Mankins playing for just one year under the franchise tag is utter garbage. He held out for one year, if he is franchised tagged, he will do it again unless a deal is reached or he is traded.

Last edited:
WRONG! Sorry but this makes NO sense. Samuel and the organization were so far apart in contract talks it was astounding. Mankins and Pats were VERY close, secondly Samuel was not in a situation were the CBA was going to expire in the upcoming months, Mankins is. The Pats most likely will franchise him, but once a new CBA is reached, all wheels are a go for re-signing Mankins. Then there will be more to report, but until then, all this speculation of Mankins playing for just one year under the franchise tag is utter garbage. He held out for one year, if he is franchised tagged, he will do it again unless a deal is reached or he is traded.

First of all, unless you were privy to exclusive contract negociations between Samuals and the Pats and also Mankins and the Pats these statements are totaly unfounded. Secondly last years negociations with Mankins had no limitations on them regarding the CBA negociations of this year, his contract expired last march. Thirdly, wether or not a new CBA is achieved this year, the offer to Mankins is obviously still unacepable going by his comments at the pro bowl. And Mankins held out for 8 games on his reduced (REDUCED FROM CLOSE TO 3 MILLON FOR NOT REPORTING BY THE DEADLINE) RFA tender of 1.5 million, as opposed to the upcomming franchise tender of about 10 million. Lastly what logic is there in holding out on the franchise tender if you are offered your freedom the following year. If you hold out you are one year older, 10 million poorer, and in the same possition contract wise the next year. To refresh your memory, Samuals franchise tender stated that he must exceed playing time stipulations and he and the team had minimum success limitations. If they were not met he was eligible to be franchised again, and could not walk. CLASS DISMISED.

What were the terms? Guaranteed dollars?

I don't buy the Kraft/Mankins apology ruse.

I don' buy it either. Kraft stated there was no deal in place when he and Mankins met.
"Rummor" was that it was in the area of 6 million per. year for 5 years with 18 guarenteed, BUT Mankins had to serve out his RFA year at the tendered amount(@3million). The "rummored" sticking point was that Mankins wanted a 7 year deal close to 7 million per. year and 30 million guarenteed. Of course this was just rummor last august.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes