Welcome to PatsFans.com

Both Sides of the Fence

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Wow! I can't tell if Herman Cain is suffering from bi-polar disease, the inability to remember what he said yesterday or just says whatever he thinks the people in front of him at any given moment wants to hear.

Regardless, I can't wait to see what he says tonight. It's not everybody who can apologize and double down at the same time.

Saturday 10/15/11

Speaking to a rally sponsored by the Roane County Tea Party, Mr. Cain said that part of his plan would be to “secure the border for real” with a fence.
    “It’s going to be 20 feet high. It’s going to have barbed wire on the top. It’s going to be electrified. And there’s going to be a sign on the other side saying, ‘It will kill you — Warning.’” At an earlier rally, on the campus of Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville, Tenn., he added that the sign would be written “in English and in Spanish.”

Cain Proposes Electrified Border Fence - NYTimes.com

Sunday 10/16/11

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain said Sunday he wasn’t being serious when he told a crowd this weekend that he wants an electric fence to span the border along Mexico.

Appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press with David Gregory, Cain said, “That’s a joke, David … That’s not a serious plan.”

“I’ve also said America needs to get a sense of humor, Cain added.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/10/16/h...tting-electric-fence-on-border/#ixzz1b9nvVrdt

Monday 10/17/11

After a brief meeting Monday with tough-talking Arizona Sherriff Joe Arpaio, who has become the poster boy for his state’s harsh immigration laws, Cain offered a mea culpa (three to be exact) onbeing so light-hearted on such a serious issue.

“It is probably not a joke you are supposed to make if you are a presidential candidate. Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea culpa,” he said,

Asked by reporters about the electrified fence, he seemed to modify his stance a bit, embracing some version of the fence.

“You are right, I don’t apologize for using a combination of a fence, and it might be electrified. I’m not walking away from that. I just don’t want to offend anyone,” he said, according to the Republic.

Herman Cain meets with Sherriff Joe Arpaio, stands by electric border fence comments - Election 2012 - The Washington Post

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tell it to the corpse-men in all 57 states while traveling on the intercontinental railroad.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Well if there was audio of the comment you might have a point, but as it is the words and meaning will be twisted by the left to smear since they can't run on the Obama record.

This however is a good sign as it means that Cain is being taken seriously as a threat to the left.

4. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +709 / 6 / -9

You're aware this isn't a verbal gaffe. Right?

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Sorry, I forgot you prefer your news in pictures and sound as opposed to words.

Saturday comments (audio + video) Sunday Meet the Press (audio + video)

Herman Cain's electrified border fence 'joke': Bad taste? - YouTube

Monday's comments (audio + video)

Herman Cain Electric Fence - YouTube

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

Good stuff, 13. If there isn't coverage, it's because a candidate is a serious threat and the evil liberal media is ignoring them. If there is coverage, it's because the candidate is a serious threat and the evil librul media is trying to destroy them.

Sounds like borderline paranoia.

7. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Full text:

"I’m going to build a wall twenty feet high, cover it in barbed wire, and electrify it. I’m going to put a big sign on it that says if you touch this, it will kill you. Then I’m going to dig a big moat as long as a football field and I’m going to fill it with alligators.

If anyone can climb that wall, swim that moat, fight off the alligators and live to tell about it, I’m going to find them a job."

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

Slow news day it seems.

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

It isn't coverage it is a series of attacks from the establishment, I include pubbies like Rove, National Review and so on.

Don't worry I know you are incapable of telling the difference.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

That certainly puts the seriousness of his words into their proper context. Personally, I'd prefer two fences with a mine field in between. Maybe add a few remote controlled .50 caliber machine guns too.

11. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think what's been happening is he's used the joke for so long he's truncating it (or the video stops before he's done) so the joke doesn't get full context -- I think Kerry did something like this a few years ago too.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Since when is replaying video of something someone said a "series of attacks?"

No one's even commenting on what he said - if it's his plan to build an electic fence across the border, then it's his plan. If he wants to electrify it, that's his plan - people can agree or disagree with him as they wish.

What's disturbing, and what should be equally disturbing to fans and foes alike, is the fact that he says it, he renounces it, he insists it was a joke and that we, as Americans, ought to learn how to take a joke, and then he turns around and says, "I apologized because I didn't want to offend people but I really meant it."

So - what does he mean, 13? Was he joking or was he serious? Is he pandering to whatever audience is listening or appeasing whatever reporter is interviewing him? Does he have the courage of his convictions or does he fold like a paper doll when confronted?

Does he know the difference between a joke and a serious plan for immigration? And if he does not know, how are we supposed to know?

13. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He's saying he's very serious about border control and uses the joke as a point of emphasis... this is a very common speaking technique...

14. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Really, I know someone else that is too!

U.S. deportations reach historic levels - CNN.com

lol!!!! :rocker:

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

I see....so what is his saying, and I quote, "that's not a serious plan," mean?

And if that's not his serious plan, why doesn't he have one?

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain said Sunday he wasn’t being serious when he told a crowd this weekend that he wants an electric fence to span the border along Mexico.

Appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press with David Gregory, Cain said, “That’s a joke, David … That’s not a serious plan.”
    “I’ve also said America needs to get a sense of humor, Cain added.

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

In jest or not, how would he pay for it this costly boondoggle...

How about a 13-13-13 plan...

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

you seem fixated on this statement, I am speaking of the media and establishment ion general. I don't obsess on insignificant details as you do.

BTW a good border fence is a great idea, it is a shovel ready project you would think dems would approve.

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Hey, surprise, it's already been done on a smaller scale.....but it's not working out very well and the cost is/was astronomical - how you gonna pay for it, 13? Pubs gonna vote to spend that kind of money? Who are they going to take it from? More women and children? Maybe some senior citizens?

Construction of the final stretch of a 670-mile security fence along the southern U.S. border has hit a series of legal, political and engineering obstacles that are slowing completion of the yearlong project.

The California, Arizona and New Mexico portions were finished largely without incident. But the last 70 miles, mostly along the Rio Grande Valley in Texas
    Where fencing is going up, the look varies from place to place. In high-traffic pedestrian areas, such as around ports of entry, the barriers include 10-foot-tall mesh fences, angled to deter climbers, and solid walls made from Army surplus steel originally used to create landing strips during the Vietnam War. There are about 300 miles of these pedestrian barriers up now, built at an average cost of $3.9 million per mile, including land acquisition, according to the Government Accountability Office.

In remote regions where drive-through smuggling is the top concern, the Border Patrol has built vehicular barriers, often steel posts driven into the desert ground at close intervals. The average cost is about $1 million per mile, according to the GAO.

Border-Fence Project Hits a Snag - WSJ.com

Mexico

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

In other words, you don't know what he meant, either. Or which time he meant it.

20. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Its 2010 for god sakes!

We don't need a stupid fence, we don't need to spend even more money on something that's going to be a waste and not help in the least, no matter how high you build it or how long or how many guns you put on it or if you make it electric it won't matter people will still find a way in.....

Why do you want to build more walls that someday we are just gonna bring down anyways? Wall's never work and we need to solve a bigger problem that is Mexico is a **** hole, we need to work with them and we all need to find ways to bankrupt or kill the drug dealers and the Mafia down there.

These are people after all, what if the American Indians asked the Pilgrims for papers??? lol.....

As long as they want to pay their taxes and learn the language they are welcome here with open arms, this is a the land of the free and home of the brave, they walk miles and face a ton of adversity to come here to be free and what they go through to get here is brave.

Use your god given brain, stop thinking like its the 20th century and get with the times....