PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Both Competition and Honor among former Patriots staff/coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I found Greg Rosenthal's recap of a discussion with Falcon's GM (and former Patriots Senior Scout)Tom Dimitroff' interesting on a number of differernt levels.

We all know that many teams - even those without direct Patriots connections - are working to replicate the type of team mindset as well as schemes, resulting in some significant increased compeition for Patriots "type" players.

This is obviously very signficant for the Patriots and I think we've all seen indications related to performance and leadership that illustrate the implications of this

Dimitroff effectively confirms this, and also also gives some indication that there are some unwritten rules of honor and camraderie among the former Patriots staff members

Dimitroff: "We're going to be creative" in uncapped year | ProFootballTalk.com

"We do a little bit of busting on each other, no question about it. Especially if we feel like the other person cut around the back to try to get something taken care of," Dmitroff said. "But we're usually pretty good. I maintain that this league is about having a handful of allies and it's very important."

Seems to me that someone with the initials. E.M. might not exactly fit into the category of holding true to this unwritten rule of honor, and his former Patriots colleagues might not be inclined to view him as an "ally".

Of course, squealing on the mentor who gave you your opportunity in the NFL, as well as throwing one-time roomate George Kokinis under the bus (The Browns recently "settled" with Kokinis indicating Mangini lied to him about his authority as GM) and accusing Lion's head coach Jim Schwartz, another former friend and colleague, a cheater, doesn't help Mangini's standing with anyone in the league.

Bottom line - if you read between the lines Dimitroff's saying quite a bit in that passage.

I found Greg Rosenthal's recap of a discussion with Falcon's GM (and former Patriots Senior Scout)Tom Dimitroff' interesting on a number of differernt levels.

We all know that many teams - even those without direct Patriots connections - are working to replicate the type of team mindset as well as schemes, resulting in some significant increased compeition for Patriots "type" players.

This is obviously very signficant for the Patriots and I think we've all seen indications related to performance and leadership that illustrate the implications of this

Dimitroff effectively confirms this, and also also gives some indication that there are some unwritten rules of honor and camraderie among the former Patriots staff members

Seems to me that someone with the initials. E.M. might not exactly fit into the category of holding true to this unwritten rule of honor, and his former Patriots colleagues might not be inclined to view him as an "ally".

Of course, squealing on the mentor who gave you your opportunity in the NFL, as well as throwing one-time roomate George Kokinis under the bus (The Browns recently "settled" with Kokinis indicating Mangini lied to him about his authority as GM) and accusing Lion's head coach Jim Schwartz, another former friend and colleague, a cheater, doesn't help Mangini's standing with anyone in the league.

Bottom line - if you read between the lines Dimitroff's saying quite a bit in that passage.

Coaching is a fraternity and it's a coaches league. Eventually there will be lots of veteran players on the market who have some level of experience in this system or a close derivative. Like Pioli said the other day, everyting is cyclical in this league. Guys from the BB/Tuna tree have the courage of their convictions based on a long history of their system and schemes withstanding the overall test of time dating back 20+ years encompassing the advent of both FA and the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes