Welcome to PatsFans.com

Boston

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by bmf31c, Mar 28, 2006.

1. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure I understand your point. Could you elaborate?

3. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why is our large city murder rate not a media talking point?

Everyone is on the Federal governments ass, which is understandable, but it's not all sunshine and lollipops at the state level.

If Iraq is not secure and safe, than neither is Boston.

4. SoonerPatriot

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I guess the heart of the question is would you feel safer walking down an average street in Boston or an average street in Baghdad?

I personally would prefer to take my chances in Boston because more than likely crap wouldn't be blowing up all around me.

But I would agree that everything isn't lollipops on the state level and 71 is too many. Heck, one is too many.

5. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The snapshots that the media show on TV aren't necessarily the truth on the ground. We tend to see how unsafe it is on CNN, but if Al-Jezeera was reporting on Boston could they show things in a pretty negative light?

6. SoonerPatriot

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sure they could. It wouldn't necessarily make it so, but certainly they could.

Ironically, I just got done watching a pretty good documentary on Sundance Channel called "Operation Dreamland". It follows a unit of the 101st Airborne on regular patrols in Iraq. The great thing about it was it wasn't filtered through Michael Moore, Fox News, CNN or any other politically slanted crapola. The filmaker basically just let these guys be themselves. No narrator. No script. It was an open mic for these guys to talk about what they were experiencing.

The feeling I got was things weren't at all good in Iraq on a day-to-day basis. Yeah, there were light hearted moments of US Troops bonding with Iraqi men and children, but an hour later they're dodging RPGs or trying to determine if there's an IED on the road in front of them. The thing I took away most from it was life was very different there on a moment to moment basis.

I think there have been some good things that have come out of Iraq. Folks in favor of the war often talk about schools being built etc and the flourishing free-market. Obviously Sadam is out of power.

That said, my position has always been that I care more about:

1-Our troops getting waxed on an almost daily basis, which should be considered important news by every American citizen regardless of their political affiliation.

2-Our tax dollars being pissed away on something that probably wasn't really necessary in the first place when we have so many problems here at home, not the least of which is our own security in this day and age.

To me, and I think to many Americans, real news are points 1 and 2. The other stuff, which should of course be reported, doesn't quite rise to the same level of importance. I think media coverage of the war has reflected that.

7. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Very insightful post. Hopefully, the good (schools opening, streets safe) will outweigh the bad in the near future. It would be great if we could get more inisghtful news that isn't twisted around a channels politics.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

If you monitor the Herald or the Globe it is a pretty continual talking point, particularly for the former. Most violence in the cities of the NE is gang related, not that it makes it any better than any other violence, but unfortunately it has become a norm in just about any big city. Some of it is related to immigration issues and some to turf wars, it is a very complex issue with no easy answers. To compare it to anything going on in Iraq seriously begs the issue, I walk the streets of Boston and do not feel fearful as most of the violence is isolated in very poor areas.

9. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tell Bush to pull our people out of Boston now!!!!!!!!!

10. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gang could be changed to Religous Sects.

Immigration to religious issues.

Turf wars = Turf Wars

If violence is a accepted norm in a large city in the United States, Why is it that there is a different standard in the large cities of Iraq?

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

You don't hear to much about the murder rate because most of the murders are commited by people that the media editors would rather set themselves on fire than admit THE TRUTH about. (political correctness)

I'd be banned if I explained that, figure it out.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I think you are comparing raisins to grapefruits, gangs compared to religious sects is a poor analogy. Religion is based on ideology, gangs are based on perceived need.

Do not get immigration to religious issues.

Violence is not an accepted norm, it is what it is, it ebbs and flow dependent on many factors. It is not consistent, the reality of any inner city violence is that it is usually perpetuated in poor areas.

To try to compare this to Bagdad is very difficult, first there are no occupying forces that have brought the conflict to the forefront and it is not ideologically based. 71 murders are way too high, that is one about every 5 days. In Iraq, there were days when at least this much was reported and the ideological sects number in the millions instead of the hundreds. Still do not get your point, imo it is a very poor comparison. The weapons are different in US cities it is handguns in Iraq it can be a several choices.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  13. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wasn't so much trying to compare them, I was saying if you replaced the word.

I'm just pointing to the fact that while it may be violent there in the big cities, it is also violent in the big cities in the States.

On a side note, I appreciate having a decent conversation for a change in here with someone.

14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

bmf31c, we are living in very conservative times and during such times there is little interest by government and business in inner city crime. Conservatives do not care much about what happens in the slums, so those problems get less attention. The media certainly covers it because it's sensational and exciting, but by and large there are fewer programs to help reduce crimes. Many of things that Clinton introduce to help reduce crime, Bush cut or eliminated, including funding of after-school programs, pursuit of some gun control legislation, and hiring of more police officers.

As Harry's post aptly shows, there's no concern on the part of some conservatives for the community that is victimized by crime. To reduce urban crime, we have to invest in poor areas that often lack jobs, social services, good schools, adequate policing, etc.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Intelligent conversation can happen here sometimes, it is likewise appreciated..

16. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure which media you're reading, but both the Globe and the Herald write about the high murder rate all the time. In news, opinion pieces, and editorials.

17. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That must be conservative newspapers you're talking about, because the Boston Globe talks about the murder rate every day.

18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

I haven't read the Globe since the days of Arthur Garrity, And Uncle Teddy's FORCED BUSING.

19. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, so you said "You don't hear to much about the murder rate because most of the murders are commited by people that the media editors would rather set themselves on fire than admit THE TRUTH about."

...except that you have no idea if you hear about the murder rate much because you don't read the main newspaper in the region. Once again you're being a ignorant crank who thinks he knows everything. Try basing things you say in reality.

Lol, let me try being Harry Boy for a second...
    "People are murdered and sacrificed daily at Republican headquarters. Well no, I haven't been there or actually heard this from anyone, but it's common sense!"

20. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My bad on that, I should have said the big news outlets. If the Boston papers are on it, then good for them.

I only really read the Stars and Stripes on a regular basis....I only read the sports section of Boston.com when I visit their website.