Welcome to PatsFans.com

BOSTON: The birthplace of First Night

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Dec 31, 2009.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

I'll admit that I'm proud that Boston was the first city in the WORLD to have First Night on New Year's Eve. Now you look around the country (and the world) and you see First Night celebrations everywhere!

ONe of the biggest features of many first nights is that alcohol is prohibited...pretty cool for a non-drinking guy like me and for the safety of all. So, if you're a native Massachusetts resident or a new resident, take pride in being a citizen of the Birthplace of First Night!

"First Night began in Boston in 1976 by a small group of artists who sought an alternative way of celebrating New Year's Eve, creating an event where the consumption of alcohol is banned.[1] Soon other surrounding communities started their own First Night celebrations. By the 1990s the First Night Boston event was attracting works by over a thousand artists,[2] and in 2006 more than a million visitors were in attendance.[1] In 1993, First Night International became a non-profit organization dedicated to helping other cities set up their own celebrations. It has since spread to cities all over the United States, Canada, Great Britain, and New Zealand."

First Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia