PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Sports Radio Wars Rosters: Tanguay & Zo, Felger & Mazz...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt DeOssie will jump ship because of all the promotional tie ins with Ordway and WEEI and his other business interests.

At least they apparently didn't go after Lobel...

DeOssie would get the same promotional tie ins for his restaurant whereever he went. He does appear on WBZ TV on both Sports Final and the Fifth Quarter. He probably gets more for those gigs than any other one. He doesn't want to risk losing those if WBZ does start to groom their own former player. No guarantee he would leave and WEEI would do a lot to try to keep him, but it isn't out of the relm of possibilities.

Whether he stays with WEEI or goes to WBZ, I just wish they reduced his interaction with Smerlas to a minimum. DeOssie is good, but can be dragged down to Pete's and Fred's stupidity when they get going. Actually, Smerlas probably wouldn't be as bad if he wasn't with Pete Sheppard. It isn't a shocking thing to say that Pete Sheppard is the weak link of the Big Show and probably the catalyst of most of the worst parts of the show.

As for Lobel, he is on 890 now. He can stay there.

DeOssie would get the same promotional tie ins for his restaurant whereever he went. He does appear on WBZ TV on both Sports Final and the Fifth Quarter. He probably gets more for those gigs than any other one. He doesn't want to risk losing those if WBZ does start to groom their own former player. No guarantee he would leave and WEEI would do a lot to try to keep him, but it isn't out of the relm of possibilities.

Whether he stays with WEEI or goes to WBZ, I just wish they reduced his interaction with Smerlas to a minimum. DeOssie is good, but can be dragged down to Pete's and Fred's stupidity when they get going. Actually, Smerlas probably wouldn't be as bad if he wasn't with Pete Sheppard. It isn't a shocking thing to say that Pete Sheppard is the weak link of the Big Show and probably the catalyst of most of the worst parts of the show.

Sheppard is likeable, but a complete buffoon. I continue to be amazed that Inacom/WEEI will put someone who fumbles words and is so inacticulate on a big-market station, let alone during a high-profile time slot. Gesh.

Last edited:
Do not care for Zolak.. maybe it has something to do with his time with the Pats..

Tanguay is a tad self absorbed..

Felger is very self absorbed..

Mazz never cared for him, sounds like he is a whiner..

the good thing about radio is you can switch stations quickly if the idiocy erupts.. agree that Holley is most knowledgable about the pats...

DeOssie and Smerlas are at best complimentary hosts and best at football...

Last edited:
Do not care for Zolak.. maybe it has something to do with his time with the Pats..

Mazz never cared for him, sounds like he is a whiner..

the good thing about radio is you can switch stations quickly if the idiocy erupts.. agree that Holley is most knowledgable about the pats...

Disagree. Smerlas is at his best when he makes a complete ass of himself by pretending he is in tune with the GOP's platform.:D

Disagree. Smerlas is at his best when he makes a complete ass of himself by pretending he is in tune with the GOP's platform.:D

He does understand the subtleties of the game and that is welcome.. as far as the right wing stuff goes I turn a deaf ear..

He does understand the subtleties of the game and that is welcome.. as far as the right wing stuff goes I turn a deaf ear..

The problem with him is that when he and Pete get going it is like the Chris Farely skit where he says "Remember when Brady made that TD pass? That was awesome". The only time I like Fred is when he is on the New England Tailgate Show where the segments have to be tight and the baffoonery has to be kept at a minimum. Fred has created a mink touting, homer character for broadcasts and it comes out far too much and minimizes the amount of intelligent football talk he brings to the table. Unfortunately, he and Pete can drag DeOssie and Ordway down with them.

Lobel's still alive??? Who knew? Taking him in the Death Pool!!

Lobel is well perserved... Or pickled. And his liver is as hard as a rock so nothing can penetrate it.

Patriots coverage or the potential thereof certainly does impact the average fans overall NEP experience. No one made you click on a thread about this topic...

This was a nice catch,MO,thanks for posting this.It's absolutely of interest to patiot fans,Imo.

Just having early notice that "girly-man" Tony Mazz will be on in the afternoon,gives die hard Patriot fanatics plenty of warning that this NEP Hater will be polluting the airwaves.
I,for one,will be rearranging my sock drawer during this time period.and suggest everyone do the same.

He and Fred are also partners in the tailgating and ticket package business which Ordway is the front man for in conjunction with Rodman (with whom Fred and Steve do a lot of other business and charity work). Jumping ship on the station that carries the Monday and Friday programming could be career changing... WBZ has used DeOssie off and on on the Sunday Sports Final segments IN SEASON, and in their post game show, but WEEI features him on their post game radio show as well as on Monday and Friday. He's likely making more on WEEI's nickle. It was WEEI, not WBZ, who carted him and a lot of other personalities to the Superbowls, not the TV station who tend to feature their own various anchors during those plum assignments. And I haven't noticed them adding Steve to All Access... Would be a hoot if they attempted to add Felger who is the poster child for a media unable to maintain discretion in situations that demand it.

What will be interesting to see is if WBZ allows Felger to continue on Comcast Sports Net where he will be competing with his own employer's TV station and pre and post game content at this point.

As for Pete and Fred, annoying as they can be at times, I'd rather be annoyed by some homer shmuck making a fool of himself in the name of comic relief than some arrogant twit attempting to create controversy or make fools out of the NEP to advance his own insignificant career... But I guess that's just me.

I'm a conservative and he is embarassing. Hes a hairy Ann Coulter.

He and Fred are also partners in the tailgating and ticket package business which Ordway is the front man for in conjunction with Rodman (with whom Fred and Steve do a lot of other business and charity work). Jumping ship on the station that carries the Monday and Friday programming could be career changing... WBZ has used DeOssie off and on on the Sunday Sports Final segments IN SEASON, and in their post game show, but WEEI features him on their post game radio show as well as on Monday and Friday. He's likely making more on WEEI's nickle. It was WEEI, not WBZ, who carted him and a lot of other personalities to the Superbowls, not the TV station who tend to feature their own various anchors during those plum assignments. And I haven't noticed them adding Steve to All Access... Would be a hoot if they attempted to add Felger who is the poster child for a media unable to maintain discretion in situations that demand it.

What will be interesting to see is if WBZ allows Felger to continue on Comcast Sports Net where he will be competing with his own employer's TV station and pre and post game content at this point.

As for Pete and Fred, annoying as they can be at times, I'd rather be annoyed by some homer shmuck making a fool of himself in the name of comic relief than some arrogant twit attempting to create controversy or make fools out of the NEP to advance his own insignificant career... But I guess that's just me.

All Pro Productions is Fred Smerlas' business. DeOssie has nothing to do with other than making appearances there. Also, Smerlas was forced to give up his tickets by the Patriots (although he said he voluntarily gave them up. DeOssie and Smerlas are only partners in Fred's and Steve's Steakhouse.

As for where he makes his money. TV usually pays more than radio. He probably makes more money on the Fifth Quarter than he does as a rotational host. Besides, if he moves to WBZ FM, who said he wouldn't make more money since they feel that bringing DeOssie over will also bring in ratings. Usually when one radio station steals a host or DJ, they get a significant raise to jump ship.

As for Comcast Sports Net dumping Felger, they didn't when he was on an ESPN owned station and even when he was still making appearances on Sports Final.

Personally, I find annoying homers less appealing than rabble rousers. At least if Felger stirs the pot, you can yell at him on the radio. Do you think WEEI allows Steve from Fall River, Dakota from Braintree, or Al from Everett (although he isn't on that much anymore) because they add intelligent conversation. Pot stirers can equal ratings.

Again, if you hate Felger, don't listen to the show. And again, the fact that he and the rest of WBZ FM is on is only a good thing for all of us. As a loyal WEEI listener, you have already benefitted with the WEEI/Globe truce. I for one am estatic WBZ FM is coming. It is the best thing to happen to Boston Sports radio in a long while.

Robert, Ian has rules about inserting political comments in threads on the main board...

I tried to keep that one a little down the middle....Thanks for the heads-up!

UGH - couldn't they come up with a fresh voice and something different?

Tony Mazz is the worst choice possible, ever since his insulting Patriot fan article and ridiculous WEEi appearance the next day, I haven;t been able to nor will I listen or read anything the guy comes out with.

Amen, brutha.

Agreed; with so many smart, likable, great exPatriots who still live in NE, how does one of the worst QBs in team history get paid to talk football to us?

Agreed

Agreed; he talks too much, and doesn't listen enough. Besides, he's not even a local dude.

Mazz - never cared for him, sounds like he is a whiner...
The living epitome of all that is wrong with today's drive-by media, sports edition.

The good thing about radio is you can switch stations quickly if the idiocy erupts.. agree that Holley is most knowledgable about the pats...

And best away from Ordway & Sheppard.

Please keep your left-wing politics in the Political forum, thank you.

This was a nice catch,MO,thanks for posting this.It's absolutely of interest to patiot fans,Imo.

Just having early notice that "girly-man" Tony Mazz will be on in the afternoon,gives die hard Patriot fanatics plenty of warning that this NEP Hater will be polluting the airwaves.
I,for one,will be rearranging my sock drawer during this time period.and suggest everyone do the same.

Excellent suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye