Welcome to PatsFans.com

Boston Police: I wonder if they're hiring?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Well, as a matter of fact, it turns out they are. They've recently raised the maximum age from under 32, to 40. I guess they're in dire need of recruits. At this type of money, and I know details aren't paid by the BPD, they're paid by vendors at gunpoint, who wouldn't want to apply?

I'm just curious. At $75k a year in salary, my math, and let me remind you how dumb I am, so feel free to correct here please, that means these people earned anywhere from $100k to 160k+ per year, in details. Now, details work in 4 hour increments, meaning if you work an hour you get a minimum of 4, work 5, you get 8. At the standard $40 an hour, or $240 per 8 hour detail, how many details does a person have to work to reach $100k? So to make an extra $100k you'd have to do 4-5 details a week, on top of the normal job hours. Something doesn't smell right.

Ah, but it's all ok actually. These types of things were "negotiated" so that makes them ok. At least that's what someone once told me. :D

3 police lieutenants are cited for alleged detail abuses
    By David Abel, Globe Staff | August 23, 2007

Three Boston police lieutenants are together facing hundreds of disciplinary charges after an internal investigation concluded that the highly paid officers persistently abused the department's paid-detail system, police officials said yesterday.

The internal audit of shifts worked in 2005 concluded that Lieutenants Haseeb Hosein, Timothy Kervin, and Ghassoub Frangie engaged in untruthful reporting of hours, performed details that conflicted with a scheduled tour of duty, and received details through unauthorized means. Hosein and Kervin were also cited with breaking the law, but officials did not provide details on the alleged infractions.

The charges were announced less than a week after police cited Sergeant Jacqueline Creaven with 119 disciplinary violations by allegedly abusing the same system.

In 2005, the lieutenants earned much more than their base salaries of about $75,000. Kervin earned $237,272.34, more than any other city official that year; Hosein made $228,807.33; and Frangie took home $171,916.94, according to city records. In the same year, Mayor Thomas M. Menino earned $150,000 and Kathleen M. O'Toole, then the police commissioner, made $160,000.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART OF THE ARTICLE:

In a phone interview, Sergeant Mark Parolin, vice president of the Boston Police Superior Officers Federation, defended the officers.

SURPRISE SURPRISE!

OH WAIT, IT WAS DISCRIMINATION I TELL YA! :rofl:

He said Hosein, who is Muslim, has filed a complaint with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. Hosein declined to comment, and Parolin said neither he nor the other officers would answer questions.

On Tuesday, Creaven, a South End patrol supervisor accused of lying about the hours she worked and making side deals with outside vendors who hired her to monitor their premises and construction sites, filed a lawsuit against the Police Department in Suffolk Superior Court. The 16-year veteran contends she is a victim of gender discrimination and says she is being punished for airing internal grievances.

"These adverse actions are the direct result of [Creaven's] attempt to bring to light important concerns about sex discrimination, disparate treatment, and selective enforcement within the department, and defendants' retaliation against plaintiff for bringing these issues to light is blatantly unlawful," her complaint says.

Driscoll declined to comment on the complaints filed by Hosein and Creaven.

The lieutenants, all of whom have surrendered their weapons, will join Creaven on desk duty until police Commissioner Edward F. Davis decides on the appropriate action, officials said. For the time being, none will be allowed to do paid details.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...utenants_are_cited_for_alleged_detail_abuses/

2. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yup. Classic attempt at misdirection. Should we point out to her that at least one of the three officers being charged is male? :rolleyes:

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

STFU you sexist SOB! :p (kidding)

4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

I think you should go for it,officer World, lots of cash to be made on overtime,after patroling the Mean Streets of Boston. Seriously they released the data for salaries in the Holyoke/Springfield area 75% are making over 100k a year. Sitting in you cruiser at a construction site. Just think of all the various activities one could distract ones self with. But a few have to do with reading material,dvd players, hand held computer games. Not a bad gig. My nephew's a Cop so I hear alot of what goes on. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

[​IMG]

Then people wonder why this state is so expensive to live in.

Anyhow, some other figures to disect.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma.../22/police_take_home_citys_biggest_paychecks/

Police in Boston were by far the city's top earners last year, with 25 Police Department employees earning more than $200,000, nearly four times the number who made that amount in 2005, according to city payroll figures released to the Globe.

Of the 125 highest paid city employees last year, all but one -- Superintendent of Schools Michael G. Contompasis, who made $221,574 -- were police officers, the records show.

Police have long been big earners in Boston, where a powerful union and private detail work have helped boost pay. But in 2006, the amounts were higher than in recent years. Police Lieutenant Timothy M. Kervin collected $240,183 in 2006, making him the top earner in a department in which 1,276 employees, about 41 percent of the force, made $100,000 or more. In 2005, 1,026 employees, about 36 percent of the force, made $100,000 or more.

"This is one of the reasons why it's difficult for the city of Boston to add more police officers and expand the force, because the position itself is so expensive," said Samuel R. Tyler, president of the Boston Municipal Research Bureau, a business-funded group.

In 2006, the average uniformed police officer made $113,617, including $35,600 in detail and overtime pay, according to figures provided by city budget officials. Firefighters, on average, made $91,087 in 2006, including about $12,500 in overtime and detail pay. The average teacher made $62,195 in total pay.

6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.
    I hate all this spending and abuse of the system.

What is the point of working your ass off in school when you can make equal or way more as an MBTA grunt or police officer sitting in a car?

I know I'm on the other extreme here, but I think those salaries should be determined by market forces, not by government and unions.

7. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I, quite frankly, am shocked at the presence of corruption in Bostonian goverment.

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

A police officer should not make twice as much as a teacher.
    It's also ridiculous that we can't add more cops because each cop is so expensive.

It's f*cking ridiculous. This is a serious loophole in our merit-driven society. There are more intelligent, able people doing more meaningful work and making way less.

9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

YEAH, Me too. :eek: :rolleyes: At least its better than Miss#@$ppie.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I've always wanted to be a cop or firefighter. Early on it was a fireman, but for the last 10 years it's been a cop. The problem for me is that I work with my family, and eventually it's going to fall on me to carry the torch here. If not though, I'd probably be one.

11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +458 / 10 / -7

#91 Jersey

I wanted to be a statey when I got out of high school,but back then there was a hgt. requirement of being at least 6 feet,so I wouldn't have qualified.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

That's the sh!tty part. See, when you pay a cop X, you don't just pay him that amount, you have to pay EVERY other cop that total. The same applies for a teacher, fireman, inspector, etc. So if a cop averages $75k in salary alone, what is his total cost to the city? Equipment, benefits, training, insurance, administration, etc.. Is $100k per cop enough? I think it cost the city more than that per. However, assuming it costs a city $100k per policeman, then putting on 100 new cops would cost a minimum of $10 million a year. What's worse, is that when a city gives all kinds of raises and perks to the cops, the Teachers union gets all pissy and demands more of the same. That makes the fireman demand more, etc. That's why a government needs to be prudent, and fiscally strict. People in here got all over me cuz I defended the military raise demands not being met a few months ago, well, this is why. Whatever you give now, is permanant, and is the starting point the following year or negotiation. If you give 5% now, then that's 5% for eternity, plus, it means at least 5% again next year. Do the math, and figure out what todays increases cost you over the next 10 years, and then add the corresponding increase for year 2 of those 10, then year 3, etc...

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

They trashed those requirements now. My buddy is a state trooper and he's all of 5'6. I've got 2 good friends who work for the State Police. Talk about a very good job.

14. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Weren't you bashing the "fraud at the Pentagon" post, saying that since the thieves were being charged, it was a bad example of business-as-usual?

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

RW, you'd be surprised what you can do if your a Firefighter you can probably still work with you family, most departments work the 24 hr shifts, that gives you five straight days off a week, the vacations build up fast and the money is good, todays equipment protects you more than they did a few years back and the medical coverage is good.
    My son just retired with a Captains pension and he had a very successful career (lifestyle & money).........

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Who are you directing this to?

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

It's a great job HB. I respect fireman, and at $90k a year they sure aren't poor.

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You.

(10 chars)

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Can you clarify, or explain your question a little more? I'll be happy to answer it, I'm just uncertain what it is you're refering to exactly.

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow, crunch time at work!