Boston Patriots again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
i know it will NEVER happens but...what could be your personal reaction if the Patriots will change their name from New England Patriots to Boston Patriots
(anyway staying and playing at Gillette) ?

i know is not a topic question and also it is not a logic question too but...it is may... and i would like to have yr thinking on this

personally i prefere the name New England Patriots

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be pissed. I live in Providence and I'm alot closer to Gillette than Boston is. I love all Boston pro teams, but the Pats are the only team I can TRULY call my own.

No No No No No.

The city of Boston has never been helpful to the Pats.

They don't deserve to have thier name in front of the Patriots.

I agree, Patjew.
I never lived in Boston, anyway.
I lived in New England, though.

363839 said:
No No No No No.

They don't deserve to have thier name in front of the Patriots.

I agree.

When I went home to RI, after the Sox won the series, I saw far more people around wearing Pats gear then Sox gear. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if I went to Boston.

While I root for all the boston teams, Boston doesn't deserve that team.

of course i know and i understand perfectly the Patriots are covering more the 'area' then the 'city' and i realize perfectly that 'Boston' Patriots could look better only for the people living in the city

anyway 'Patriots' name is absolutely the BEST one in the Nfl

i liked too Boston Patriots name but i prefere New England Patriots

363839 said:

true...absolutely...from the beginning...sad and bad they did not help Billy Sullivan too...

To my Italian friend, you certainly come up with some good questions. It's great for this time of year. Good for you.

Though I still think you're a guy in Worcester just pulling our chains with your quirky English.

Patjew said:
To my Italian friend, you certainly come up with some good questions. It's great for this time of year. Good for you.

Though I still think you're a guy in Worcester just pulling our chains with your quirky English.

i live in Como, born in Milan and i'm 100% italian. sorry if my english is not the best but i think is also not so bad...

thks also for yr compliments. i love the Pats since more then 20 years...
but in Italy it is not so easy to see the Nfl...

last year for the first time i went to Usa (Boston and New York) and finally i saw the Pats play (BUF and IND) and i saw one game of the Bruins too...

Last edited:
sarge said:
I agree.

When I went home to RI, after the Sox won the series, I saw far more people around wearing Pats gear then Sox gear. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if I went to Boston.

While I root for all the boston teams, Boston doesn't deserve that team.

i really think that in NE 'area' (not in Boston city) probably there is much more love for the Pats then for the Red Sox

am i right ? i hope to be right (i do not like baseball at all...)

so New England Patriots name looks much more appropriate

italianpatthepatriot said:
true...absolutely...from the beginning...sad and bad they did not help Billy Sullivan too...
They were helpful at first, but really NOT later in the days. The Sox let the Patriots play at fenway UNTIL they started to sell tickets after 67 and..the Pats had to move. (Thank you Crimson Pantyhose..another reason of many why I grew up HATING the team...) Who helped them out?? Not Kevin White..nor any of the Boston pols..it was BC AND Harvard that bailed them out..and it was Schafer Beer that helped put the Patriots in Foxboro. They really could NOT call them the Boston Patriots..so far away...hence New England. And it sticks..and it says a LOT about how it is a regional name. Even a very few years ago, Boston continued to slap the Patriots around...with the possibility of a big scale stadium in South Boston on the waterfront. Always struck me as rather amusing how 10 games in a stadium would disrupt traffic so much to the neigborhoods but 80 would be just fine. (The way they DID NOT want the Patriots, but later wnated the Red Sox..) The pols who wanted handouts, the anti-semetic trash from South Boston..a total embarrassment. VERY glad the Patriots are away from all that..even though I am many more miles away from them. NEW ENGLAND far better a name...

Pats726 said:
They were helpful at first, but really NOT later in the days. The Sox let the Patriots play at fenway UNTIL they started to sell tickets after 67 and..the Pats had to move. (Thank you Crimson Pantyhose..another reason of many why I grew up HATING the team...) Who helped them out?? Not Kevin White..nor any of the Boston pols..it was BC AND Harvard that bailed them out..and it was Schafer Beer that helped put the Patriots in Foxboro. They really could NOT call them the Boston Patriots..so far away...hence New England. And it sticks..and it says a LOT about how it is a regional name. Even a very few years ago, Boston continued to slap the Patriots around...with the possibility of a big scale stadium in South Boston on the waterfront. Always struck me as rather amusing how 10 games in a stadium would disrupt traffic so much to the neigborhoods but 80 would be just fine. (The way they DID NOT want the Patriots, but later wnated the Red Sox..) The pols who wanted handouts, the anti-semetic trash from South Boston..a total embarrassment. VERY glad the Patriots are away from all that..even though I am many more miles away from them. NEW ENGLAND far better a name...

strange imho why Boston city had-has this attitude with the Patriots...difficult to understand...

ps = Schaefer beer exists also todays ? or not anymore ?

NEM said:
First, when they initially changed the name, I thought it was awful. Being an old fan, from the beginning, i loved the name "BOSTON" Patriots.

But now, "New England Patriots" is the perfect name.

Many of you may not know that when they changed from Boston Patriots to New England Patriots....for a two week period in between name change, they were called something else. The media and the fans hated it, so the switched to "New England Patriots"

That Gawd awful name was....

"Bay State Patriots"

yes. i read and i remember it.

anyway nice decision was took on 1971...New England Patriots is the best possible name !

but...(OT) : I WANT THE THROWBACKS !!!

NEM said:
How would Patrioti di Como work for you????? :)

Nem: Avanti Patrioti !!!

i Patrioti del New England !

i live in Como, born in Milan and i'm 100% italian. sorry if my english is not the best but i think is also not so bad...

thks also for yr compliments. i love the Pats since more then 20 years...
but in Italy it is not so easy to see the Nfl...

last year for the first time i went to Usa (Boston and New York) and finally i saw the Pats play (BUF and IND) and i saw one game of the Bruins too...

Are you able to pick up the games via Satelite or Direct TV in Italy? If so, what time are they on?

I also enjoy your posts - you bring a lot to the group my friend.

I have a vision of you screaming Touchdown when Dillon crosses into the endzone and thenhundreds of your neighbors madly hitting their remotes looking for soccer.

Last edited:
Nem: Avanti Patrioti !!!

i Patrioti del New England !

No way we go back to the Boston Patriots especially after the latest snub Kraft got when trying to build a stadium in Southie.

On another note, maybe you can help me. I'll be touring Italy in early October and I thought that telling Italian jokes would help break the ice.
Got any I could use?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Absolutely not! The represent an entire region instead of the elitist in the city of Boston.

Outside of route 128, the Patriots are the most popular team.

PATSNUTme said:
Absolutely not! The represent an entire region instead of the elitist in the city of Boston.
But Boston (along with Cambridge) IS elite.

It would be silly to change it back, it's cool that the team is named after the whole region instead of just one city.

Pats726 said:

Dave Marr, the construction guy, actually let Billy Sullivan build Schaefer Stadium on a lot that he hadn't developed in Foxborough. As I remember, he was using only to store his heavy construction equipment. For those of us who remember, this was just after the AFL- NFL merger, and the NFL rules dictated that you needed a stadium that was 55,000. Neither Harvard, Alumni, or Fenway were big enough, and the city of Boston(in the words of Kevin White) dragged their collective heals w/ re: to building a new stadium (it wasn't just the Pats, they did the same for about 25 years for a new garden, and made all sorts of promises to the Red Sox which Finneran cut). After Marr came up w/ the site, Billy Sullivan had to come up w/ $6m for the stadium which is when Schaefer Brewing came in. I think they paid almost the cost of the stadium for 10 years of naming rights. Schaefer Brewing is now owned by Miller, though I think they were bought out by someone else (Stroh's?), which was then bought by Miller. Supposedly, it is still available, but I haven't seen it in years. Not that I've looked. IIRC it was pretty awful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaeffer_Beer
And I do remember the outcry about the "Bay State Patriots". It was as bad a name as the Golden State Warriors, and showed just about as much class.

i know it will NEVER happens but...what could be your personal reaction if the Patriots will change their name from New England Patriots to Boston Patriots
(anyway staying and playing at Gillette) ?

i know is not a topic question and also it is not a logic question too but...it is may... and i would like to have yr thinking on this

personally i prefere the name New England Patriots

I'd love it, but it would be silly unless they moved to Boston. I bet if they did move to Southie a few years ago, they would have considered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back