PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Mag: NFL wins no matter what because of lost picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say they were, learn how to read..........
This is a PR battle and by NOT appealing, he gave ground in the battle unnecessarily......
What's to say an appeal might not have reduced the punishment from a #1 and a 4 to say a #1 only.? In every other appeal (other than Brady's) punishment was reduced on appeal..
Kraft had some leverage that he gave up by wimping out.

if you know they're not getting the pick back, then what's the point? obligatory pissing and moaning....please your fans by sobbing at the wailing wall?

basically, the league bit its nose to spite its face and this is the unfortunate moment of having the teams tied so close together with their anti-trust exemption......everybody knows that krafts attempt to litigate would have been a waste of time

it would have been awesome to watch kraft go al davis, but it would have been nothing but a waste of time

he could have told his people to make the actual numbers public as soon as he got them and the nfl REFUSED to release them.

Kraft lets the NFL spin this for MONTHS when he could have stopped it in the first couple of weeks.

Remember the NFL forced the Patriots to sign an NDA just to see the real numbers.

Right. We have no idea what could have came of that pick.

We do know three things.

1. A talented player would have been available.
2. BB does a very good job of nailing 1st round draft choices. Not all are All-Pros but all of them have contributed at a pretty good level.
3. BB's 1st round draft choices typically produce in year one and produce more 4 years later.

no....there's only one thing we know......and Larry Bird is not walking in through that door!!!!

hqdefault.jpg

if you know they're not getting the pick back, then what's the point? obligatory pissing and moaning....please your fans by sobbing at the wailing wall?
How do you know that maybe they send the 4th rounder back to shut him up and keep him on the reservation as it were and prevent him from going all "Al Davis" on the league, the league constitution (that prevents owners from suing) be damned?
The 'optics of it" as it were is how it appears. Sometimes you pick a fight you know you can't win looking at the bigger picture and the net result. Kraft may not have won the appeal and he may not have gotten the picks back but he would have appeared to be fighting and supporting his QB rather than turning tail and appearing to tacitly believe he thought his QB was guilty which is the way it appeared to those outside Patriot nation, which is where I'm located.

I remain positive that this fiasco plus the PR poopstorm that's coming with the concussion movie will force the NFL to make some much needed changes for the better.

You are certainly a glass half full type of guy hehe

Remember the NFL forced the Patriots to sign an NDA just to see the real numbers.

What if he blew off the NDA and said "the truth must come out" and revealed the numbers????
What punishment would they have given him, for telling the truth??
Or could he have said," I've seen the true numbers, the NFL has them and these are patently false. I call on the NFL to reveal the real numbers, now."
He wouldn't have been revealing the numbers, just the falsity of the narrative as it was at the time...

Tell me a first round pick BB has missed on?

You could argue Laurence Maroney.. Meriwether too, but he made the pro bowl and is still playing in the nfl so he's more of a stretch

How do you know that maybe they send the 4th rounder back to shut him up and keep him on the reservation as it were and prevent him from going all "Al Davis" on the league, the league constitution (that prevents owners from suing) be damned?
The 'optics of it" as it were is how it appears. Sometimes you pick a fight you know you can't win looking at the bigger picture and the net result. Kraft may not have won the appeal and he may not have gotten the picks back but he would have appeared to be fighting and supporting his QB rather than turning tail and appearing to tacitly believe he thought his QB was guilty which is the way it appeared to those outside Patriot nation, which is where I'm located.

based on how they have held their ground against Brady, that ain't happening.......they're not giving anything back because they know kraft has no leverage

moving forward, kraft can change his tune on new business, but even the silent owners who may privately support kraft will remind him of how massive krafts financial gains at the hand of the NFL have been.......
Kraft buys foxboro stadium for 22M
Kraft buys the patriots for 175M
Kraft builds Gillette for 350M

550M is now worth 3B

on top of that, he builds Patriot Place for 375M ..... purely leveraged through his gains from the NFL

in the grand scheme, he's not going to rail for a 1st round pick because a bunch of yahoos think he's pantless

What if he blew off the NDA and said "the truth must come out" and revealed the numbers????
What punishment would they have given him, for telling the truth??
Or could he have said," I've seen the true numbers, the NFL has them and these are patently false. I call on the NFL to reveal the real numbers, now."
He wouldn't have been revealing the numbers, just the falsity of the narrative as it was at the time...

they could vote him out of the league.........they'd turn him into another donald sterling

I still have trouble with calling Maroney a miss, since I think he was a good talent who just got derailed by unforeseeable injuries. But even I think we can all agree that Meriweather was a miss.

Belichick was likely saved from a couple of bad picks though. The Saints overpaying for the right to select Mark Ingram likely saved us all the embarrassment of blowing a first rounder (as opposed to a high second-rounder) on Ras-IR-Dowling. The Spygate penalty probably prevented us from selecting Kenny Phillips and his Greg-Oden-like knees.

I'm probably among the few, or maybe only one, but I don't think the NFL will appeal if they lose. They cannot do anything to look better after everything that has gone down and an appeal will potentially draw this out for YEARS.

The owners are already raising their pitchforks telling Goodell to end this right now, if he appeals he'll lose his job.

And he likes his job, and it's 45m/yr salary, very, very much.

The players union is going to wreck the nfl in the next CBA after this ****show of a commisioner.
And I can't wait for it to happen. I thought a strike in 2011 would be terrible for the NFL. I was so wrong. I hope the players stand up to the owners-Hard to believe one person could make such a mess, but then again he is a Jets fan.

no....there's only one thing we know......and Larry Bird is not walking in through that door!!!!

hqdefault.jpg
...and if they do walk in they will be gray and old...

you guys are so short sighted and fickle

Bob Kraft buys the stadium in 1988 for 22M and refuses to take 75M to let orthwein get out of the lease....he single-handedly prevented the pats from moving to st louis even though he stood to make a killing....then kraft paid more for the pats than had ever been paid for any team in any league

that is why the pats are still here

give it up....it's time to enjoy some football

I'm probably among the few, or maybe only one, but I don't think the NFL will appeal if they lose. They cannot do anything to look better after everything that has gone down and an appeal will potentially draw this out for YEARS.

The owners are already raising their pitchforks telling Goodell to end this right now, if he appeals he'll lose his job.

And he likes his job, and it's 45m/yr salary, very, very much.

football season is here.......there will be plenty of owners who will say it's time to get back to business

they could vote him out of the league.........they'd turn him into another donald sterling
Donald Sterling essentially voted himself out of the league with his racist rant. If they tried to vote Kraft out of the league for telling the truth, the lawyers would have a field day......wasn't going to happen......
It might have changed the PR battle a little earlier.....The NFL until recently has been winning the battle with leak, false leaks and false information...
IT's time to fight a little dirty as well..Do they know any dirt on Goodell, Kensil, Vincent, Pash, Wells or Nash? .Time to spill it and give them a taste of their own medicine.....Or et them know you're prepared to release it unless things get cleaned up at 345Park Avenue.

I can already picture how that'd look
=

Hmmmm. I gotta think for the role of Al Neri it would be the Pats Dir or Security, Mark Briggs. He spent 16 years in the British Army and was awarded the British Empire Medal.

You don't get that medal for selling the most magazine subscriptions.

Belichick was likely saved from a couple of bad picks though. The Saints overpaying for the right to select Mark Ingram likely saved us all the embarrassment of blowing a first rounder (as opposed to a high second-rounder) on Ras-IR-Dowling. The Spygate penalty probably prevented us from selecting Kenny Phillips and his Greg-Oden-like knees.

I think it's a mistake to guess who Belichick would've picked. Who had him taking McCourty or Mankins?

Also, it's not like trading out of the first was a rare thing. Belichick routinely trades out of the first. And when he does, he often gets really good players in the second round.

Donald Sterling essentially voted himself out of the league with his racist rant. If they tried to vote Kraft out of the league for telling the truth, the lawyers would have a field day......wasn't going to happen......
It might have changed the PR battle a little earlier.....The NFL until recently has been winning the battle with leak, false leaks and false information...
IT's time to fight a little dirty as well..Do they know any dirt on Goodell, Kensil, Vincent, Pash, Wells or Nash? .Time to spill it and give them a taste of their own medicine.....Or et them know you're prepared to release it unless things get cleaned up at 345Park Avenue.

it's a mess nobody would want for sure, but by the same token, there's nothing that kraft can do about the draft picks.....its a closed case and to continue is futile.......the saints gave up 2 2nd rounders over a bunch of nothing also....that's life....it's time to start watching football

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes