PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Mag: NFL wins no matter what because of lost picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally, yeah, but 1st rounders aren't really crap shoots with Belichick. The jury's still out on Easley and Brown, but otherwise Belichick has made 13 first round picks and 11 of them have become, at worst, notably above average cheap multi-year starters.

Maroney and Meriweather ended up being busts, but after that you're looking at Ben Watson / Daniel Graham as pretty much the baseline minimum of what you're getting with a first round pick (at #32 overall).

Meriweather made a pro bowl for all his issues hard to call it a bust.

If the ruling goes in Brady's favor, there will be no winners in this (except the lawyers, of course), with the possible exception of the NFLPA, and even that 'win' will be a muted one.

NFL - lost
Patriots - lost
Brady - lost
NFLPA - win in court, but once again everyone sees just how badly they got their asses kicked in the CBA

The notion that the taking of the Patriots picks somehow means the NFL won something is poor logic.

I still have trouble with calling Maroney a miss, since I think he was a good talent who just got derailed by unforeseeable injuries. But even I think we can all agree that Meriweather was a miss.

2006- Good year
2007- Good year
2008- Hurt
2009- Good year

I dont want to lament over his football issues but no- he was not a bust per se.

It just didn't work out.

stop blaming kraft........there was nothing he could do except mope in public......
He had the right to appeal, even if it was a lost cause, to preserve his rights. Then if Berman were to vacate the award, he could shout from the mountaintops " I want my draft picks back". By effectively waiving his appeal rights, they are gone......gone and there is no chance of them coming back, where otherwise he might have had a small chance..
Secondly, his accepting punishment is a tacit admission of guilt in the eyes of the public, outside New England.....

This is on Kraft. It wasn't just his refusal to resist the team's penalties that led to this; he's to blame for putting Goodell in power in the first place, and later helping the Commissioner during the Ray Rice scandal. He negotiated the CBA that gave Goodell his powers - and did not bat an eye when the Saints were being mistreated by the League.

Kraft is a decent man with great business sense - but he's a horrible, horrible, and I mean horrible judge of character. I hope Jonathan will do a better job of protecting the franchise.

stop blaming kraft........there was nothing he could do except mope in public......

he could have told his people to make the actual numbers public as soon as he got them and the nfl REFUSED to release them.

Kraft lets the NFL spin this for MONTHS when he could have stopped it in the first couple of weeks.

He had the right to appeal, even if it was a lost cause, to preserve his rights. Then if Berman were to vacate the award, he could shout from the mountaintops " I want my draft picks back". By effectively waiving his appeal rights, they are gone......gone and there is no chance of them coming back, where otherwise he might have had a small chance..
Secondly, his accepting punishment is a tacit admission of guilt in the eyes of the public, outside New England.....

they weren't getting the draft picks back....learn how the league works

Kraft, the guy who is guilty that i am not his team fan anymore, just fan of BB and Brady. And that means no tickets and any of his team gear would see my money.
He wanted money, so i wont give him.

LOL.....this is so petty

Meriweather made a pro bowl for all his issues hard to call it a bust.
Yes, and for all his faults, he is still in the league. A bust by Belichick standards, perhaps, but certainly superior to the Chris Cantys and Hart Lee Dykes of the past.

he could have told his people to make the actual numbers public as soon as he got them and the nfl REFUSED to release them.

Kraft lets the NFL spin this for MONTHS when he could have stopped it in the first couple of weeks.

Kraft IS the NFL.....however this gets dealt with will be behind closed door and none of us will hear

either stop with the drama, or if it so bad stop being a fan

they weren't getting the draft picks back....learn how the league works
I didn't say they were, learn how to read..........
This is a PR battle and by NOT appealing, he gave ground in the battle unnecessarily......
What's to say an appeal might not have reduced the punishment from a #1 and a 4 to say a #1 only.? In every other appeal (other than Brady's) punishment was reduced on appeal..
Kraft had some leverage that he gave up by wimping out.

Kraft has been spoiled with brady and bill. The pats could still make it to a few more SB's before those two retire regardless of those picks. Other owners wouldn't have laid down for the good of the league. Kraft really dissapointed us and nothing short of him publicly calling for Goodell to be fired will come close to making up for it. Ha

Kraft IS the NFL.....however this gets dealt with will be behind closed door and none of us will hear

either stop with the drama, or if it so bad stop being a fan

Then why did kraft have his legal team contact the NFL office and request that they correct the false info?

Why did kraft not tell the public the correct psi levels, after the NFL leaked the correct ones, and then told the patriots "Don't tell the public about the psi levels please", AND THEN HAD THE GALL TO NO CORRECT THE FALSE INFO?

Kraft had numerous opportunities to go on the offensive regarding the leaks, but he sat back and let roger goodell treat him like a *****. Kraft came out of this looks weak, Roger looking like a buffoon, and the 32 looking like idiots for allowing goodell to remain in position. The league is weaker today because nobody in the 32 stood up and said enough is enough.

The players union is going to wreck the nfl in the next CBA after this ****show of a commisioner.

The non disclosure agreement be damned. It got me thinking if the real reason the NFL destroyed the spygate tapes wasn't to "protect" the Patriots but to protect the rest of the league. Belichick has been around long enough to know where the proverbial bodies are buried and may have given the league enough evidence on other teams doing the same. The league slaps a non disclosure agreement on the Patriots ("talk about this and you will be suspended for a year") and they control the narrative. They did it once and probably figured it would work this time as well.......

This is on Kraft. It wasn't just his refusal to resist the team's penalties that led to this; he's to blame for putting Goodell in power in the first place, and later helping the Commissioner during the Ray Rice scandal. He negotiated the CBA that gave Goodell his powers - and did not bat an eye when the Saints were being mistreated by the League.

Kraft is a decent man with great business sense - but he's a horrible, horrible, and I mean horrible judge of character. I hope Jonathan will do a better job of protecting the franchise.

There's no way around that. Kraft really screwed the pooch by backing this guy. He needs to take responsibility for that by doing everything in his power to throw the bum out.

I couldn't disagree more, the NFL is going to be the loser because their real target was Belichick and they missed by a mile. They will lose in court, they have turned the league into a clown show, the Commissioner has lost all credibility and Belichick is making his cuts and getting ready for another run at the Lombardi. If I'm Belichick I send a picture of his boat from behind with his middle finger held high as a Christmas card for the folks at the league office.

I wonder if Goodell would accept an invitation for just the two of them to go deep seas fishing on Six Rings?

It took 8 years to raise a Lombardi after the Spygate draft pick penalty. Could an extra premium player on the rosters of the two losing NE Super Bowl losers have helped them win more hardware?
......DEFINITELY
We lost #31 that year ('08) but still had #10 (Mayo). Don't get me wrong losing that picked sucked, but that was a down draft overall. Wouldv'e been a good pick to trade into next years draft, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back