PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Boston has lost its charm"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be correct, ipp. The Boston Redskins.

thanks; honestly i did not knew they were the 'same' Redskins; i thought that the WSH Redskins had nothing to do with the Boston Redskins

today i learned something

He can take that charm and shove it up his a**! Charm is over-rated, give me winning every time. It's a lot more fun!

I've never ever understood or shared the perverse culture that embraced the Red Sox perrenial loser mentality, so if Boston has lost that charm, all to the better.

We are Sparta, so go have a big GFY!

yeah, I have lived in your home town (Boston) for 3 years. Being a canuck, I don't know....I found many rude people there, it seemed like many had a sense of entitlement. And then you had the spoiled kids going to college driving expensive cars and spending mommy and daddy's money at the bars.

However Boston is THE sports town in America.

The Patriots is the obvious model franchise of the NFL

The Bruins, who I have always loved, esp the Casman, Cheevers, Jonathan and Orr Bruins, who would kick your ***** on the ice and after the game downtown. They were bad mofos.

I don't really follow basketball and baseball much, but I certainly respect what those great Celtics teams have done in the past. And the Red Sox have a maniacial following in Boston that I have still yet to understand.

Boston has lost it's charm? From the Charles (great rollerskating trail along there btw), to it's history to it's sports fans, it is a great town. Like i said it has it's fair share of ***holes, but then again I know Halifax does as does many towns across NA.

This dude is out of touch with reality I think...whoever he is....

As much as I enjoy being able to read articles and information via the Internet, the sad part is, now I have lost my supply of backup toilet paper for the outhouse at the ol' hunting camp. This article would have been perfect for it.

BTW, didn't Frank Deford used to be the "guy" for professional boxing? Looks like he's looking for a new gig, since that one fell off the map.

Pretty sure my first words were: GFY

He's going all the way back to the 40s and 50s and imagining Boston then?

I think Forde has been spending too much time on Newbury Street. Fey? Hardly. Track over to Central Square and then tell me about fey.

No one cared about the Celtics? Really? Find that hard to believe, and the Red Sox couldn't fill Fenway until the 1990s. I know, I was there. I would walk into Fenway for free after the 7th inning almost every single game during every homestand in the 1980s (I lived in Kenmore, went to school, and walked 5 minutes from my front door to the park in order to watch the last three innings for free (the bleacher exits were opened wide for anyone).

He's going all the way back to the 40s and 50s and imagining Boston then?

I think Forde has been spending too much time on Newbury Street. Fey? Hardly. Track over to Central Square and then tell me about fey.

No one cared about the Celtics? Really? Find that hard to believe, and the Red Sox couldn't fill Fenway until the 1990s. I know, I was there. I would walk into Fenway for free after the 7th inning almost every single game during every homestand in the 1980s (I lived in Kenmore, went to school, and walked 5 minutes from my front door to the park in order to watch the last three innings for free (the bleacher exits were opened wide for anyone).

Nobody cared. My Dad would get tix to 60s Russell era Celts games given to him and my brother and I would go sit courtside. Back then it was Celts #1 and early AFL Pats #2 in my young life. All changed after Russell retired and it's been all Pats ever since. No beesball for me.

Last edited:
Atilla the Hun was actually a charming fellow.
Ladies loved him a lot.

Word is,he has tens of millions of descendants.
An entire continent of heirs.

Now,sure he had some bad days,and he
broke some stuff here and there,
and burned down cities and stuff,
and left folks a bit depressed,and dead.

But who is perfect?

So what city is charming, exactly? Every city is hated when its teams are winning, and the other cities are just sort of sitting there in irrelevancy. I can't think of a city who is "charming" to the rest of the country while they have possibly two simultaneous dynasties. or even one.

What a totally half-assed article.

So what city is charming, exactly? Every city is hated when its teams are winning, and the other cities are just sort of sitting there in irrelevancy. I can't think of a city who is "charming" to the rest of the country while they have possibly two simultaneous dynasties. or even one.

What a totally half-assed article.

Baltimore is always charming as it is Charm City. :rolleyes:

Nobody cared. My Dad would get tix to 60s Russell era Celts games given to him and my brother and I would go sit courtside. Back then it was Celts #1 and early AFL Pats #2 in my young life. All changed after Russell retired and it's been all Pats ever since. No beesball for me.

The only reason I said that is because I was in Boston during the 80s and the place was nuts for the Celtics. Bird, McHale, Parish, crazy!! Going to the Garden back then was absolutely raucous, and the Red Sox were an afterthought. Even during 1986, they weren't selling out Fenway. I got $15 seats for the AL Championship Series and $25 seats for the World Series, and I didn't have to jump through hoops to get them. Showed up in the early morning and waited in line for 3 hours.

Baltimore is always charming as it is Charm City. :rolleyes:

Irony of Ironies.

Guess who is a native Baltimoron?

Yup. It's true. Deford "coincidentally" picks a few days after his beloved hometown team from "Charm City" gets beaten (and his city and team put on a display of ungraciousness unseen by the nation since the last time Detroit celebrated Halloween) to write a column about how Boston has lost it's "charm".

Frank, you used to be a great writer, but please take your meds.

does someone feel a little down cuz their town is nothing like Boston? AWWW, do u want a little towel? here, ill take u to baltimore, there u can play with a bunch of friends...u all will share a lot of charactersits....crying like babies being at the forefront

Frank Deford sounds like a bitter guy that just wishes Boston sports would go away.

First off, great hindsight by an Altzimer. Second, stories get handed down in this city. My Dad went to the games at Fenway, and he saw Ted Williams play. I don't care if there were ten thousand people for any of those games, he still tells stories when people see him with a Boston team's hat. He's lived in Florida the Past five years, and wears one every day. EVERY DAY, people talk to him about Boston, the Red Sox, the Pats, Bruins, Celts, BC Eagles, etc... How did we lose our charm by finally being successful?

This is nothing more than the writings of a very jealous man writing his next "great" piece.

The comparisons he made between who we root for, are not from NE. The coaches he used as an example are from his neck of the woods. So those traits were learned long before we started applauding their efforts. Are we now held fault for their success, while he brags about their upbringing through a different vehicle?

One last point I have:

WE ARE SPARTA! Yes, if we keep winning. Tide turns so fast in sports now, it almost seems like you can't enjoy anything anymore. If we are to be the sports version of SPARTA, then I say win everything from now until the dust settles. Win until they forget to count the losing! Win until they are vanquished! Win until they beg, not for mercy, but for forgiveness! And no matter what, win until you feel like you haven't yet won enough.

Is it me, or has Frank Deford morphed into Bud Collins?

"I need to come up with 500 words, let's see how flowery my verbiage can be while I say absolutely nothing new".

:rofl: Spot on!!!!!

Btw I want to thank all you guys who find these articles and post them here. I've loving the jealous hatred coming our way. Hope you guys are too!! Few if any sports fans see this kind of success from their sports teams. Enjoy this ride of a lifetime we're on as New England sports fans and embrace the hate.
It's ALL good!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing