PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston Globe: Bodden: Patriot "First and foremost"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given these rankings, and considering the fact that we had, at many times, a lackluster pass rush this season, I think it's pretty compelling evidence in favor of resigning Bodden.

This of course assumes his contract demands are not unreasonable. But a Butler/Bodden secondary is one I think would serve us well next season.

Agreed, not only for next season though for but years to come. What would make that tandem even better is a pass rush and the continued development of Butler.

Last edited:
If it's true he turned down 16 mil over four years to sign a one year deal. What would he want? What could he get elswhere? I think that was very generous at the time.

The "X mill over X years" statement is kind of meaningless without context. How much of the money was guaranteed in the first 2 years vs. backloaded? If the offer had minimal guaranteed money and most of the $$$$ in year 3/4 salary, that would mean giving up 4 years of freedom with no guarantee of getting anything near $14M.

If Bodden wants to stay and Belichick wants to keep him, I have no doubt the Pats can find enough guaranteed cash to make him happy and put together enough dummy future salaries to make his agent happy.

If it's true he turned down 16 mil over four years to sign a one year deal. What would he want? What could he get elswhere? I think that was very generous at the time.[/QUOTE]

I dont think 16mil over 4 years was a fair offer to Bodden. I would have done the same thing and taken the one year prove it deal rather than committing myself to that contract, especially when other corners who arent nearly as good are making substantially more. Im hoping 6-7 million a year could and should get a deal done.

Sounds like he wants to stay, but the financial considerations say he'll be dust in the wind.

I agree Bodden/Butler would be a solid secondary, I think signing Bodden is key.. But I think everything is on a holding pattern till March 5th and what this team is allowed to spend...

His play was good enough to show he can be a force against the best receivers in the game. I believe him to be a true #1 CB.

Dunno, 5 years, $40M perhaps? We need a quality corner, he knows the system, he's experienced, he's proved he can hold up despite having little help in terms of a pass rush - he's the type of player we need.

What would be the guaranteed money? That's the big question.

What I liked about Bodden was he was a physical corner and good tackler on top of being a good cover guy. That's a hard combination to find, almost like having a light outside safety.

I don't really want to pay ANY corner (outside of maybe Revis, Bailey in his prime, or Asomugha) Samuel type money, but luckily I don't think his stats are sexy enough for him to get that on the open market. Really hope we sign him.

Bodden was the rcb or #2 here in the 14 games he started. His stats in context include 3 of 5 INTS coming in the midst of an epic Sanchise meltdown that resulted in his blowhard HC taking over QB management and installing his now famous traffic light system...

He's certainly a starting caliber CB. And he seems to have a good attitude and neither durability or attitude was an issue here. He's not a #1 CB other than by default in a league that doesn't always have 32 #1's starting at lcb. It would be nice to keep him for continuity and unit stability. He'd be fine behind an improved pass rush because he's a pretty good cover corner. He's not the zone blocking ball hawk Asante is, nor is he the shutdown cover corner Revis is. He's probably worth $6M+ given the top ten average is $8M but this market will be hard to decipher since there are limited options but also inherent labor issues looming. At 29 it will likely become a matter of how much signing bonus or guaranteed money someone is willing to hand him knowing a lockout looms and a return to the salary cap thereafter, when he on the wrong side of 30, is essentially a given.

He did become unhappy with his UDFA extension in Cleveland even as he struggled to stay on the field. Which is part of the reason he was traded to Detroit, who gave him an extension to soothe his ego, but it had no guaranteed money and an $8M+ option bonus he never saw (all he got was a $2M 2008 salary boost to $4.7M).

I do think they could use the transition tag on him if as Reiss hinted it was not precluded in his one year deal (which instead only precluded the franchise tag...). That way we get to see what his market is and if it's not too rich for BB's blood we match it. And if it doesn't materialize as Bodden likely anticipates, we offer him something more than $8M in guaranteed money on a 4 year deal with makeable incentives.

Bodden was the rcb or #2 here in the 14 games he started. His stats in context include 3 of 5 INTS coming in the midst of an epic Sanchise meltdown that resulted in his blowhard HC taking over QB management and installing his now famous traffic light system...

He's certainly a starting caliber CB. And he seems to have a good attitude and neither durability or attitude was an issue here. He's not a #1 CB other than by default in a league that doesn't always have 32 #1's starting at lcb. It would be nice to keep him for continuity and unit stability. He'd be fine behind an improved pass rush because he's a pretty good cover corner. He's not the zone blocking ball hawk Asante is, nor is he the shutdown cover corner Revis is. He's probably worth $6M+ given the top ten average is $8M but this market will be hard to decipher since there are limited options but also inherent labor issues looming. At 29 it will likely become a matter of how much signing bonus or guaranteed money someone is willing to hand him knowing a lockout looms and a return to the salary cap thereafter, when he on the wrong side of 30, is essentially a given.

He did become unhappy with his UDFA extension in Cleveland even as he struggled to stay on the field. Which is part of the reason he was traded to Detroit, who gave him an extension to soothe his ego, but it had no guaranteed money and an $8M+ option bonus he never saw (all he got was a $2M 2008 salary boost to $4.7M).

I do think they could use the transition tag on him if as Reiss hinted it was not precluded in his one year deal (which instead only precluded the franchise tag...). That way we get to see what his market is and if it's not too rich for BB's blood we match it. And if it doesn't materialize as Bodden likely anticipates, we offer him something more than $8M in guaranteed money on a 4 year deal with makeable incentives.

How is RCB different than LCB in our defense? Honestly, I have no idea.

I don't get the whole "#1 corner" "shutdown corner" thing. I would think these terms are irrelevant to Belichick and the FO. Unless the Pats change scheme and start lining up their best corner on different sides, depending where the other team's #1 WR is, talk about whether we need a "shutdown" guy like Revis isn't all that relevant. Having two solid, above average corners shouldn't have to be a luxury in the NFL, yet the Pats haven't had that for at least three seasons (I consider Hobbs below average).

I agree that about 6M per is about right for Bodden, but would think that more like 8M with roughly 3 years guaranteed would work too.

How is RCB different than LCB in our defense? Honestly, I have no idea.

I don't get the whole "#1 corner" "shutdown corner" thing. I would think these terms are irrelevant to Belichick and the FO. Unless the Pats change scheme and start lining up their best corner on different sides, depending where the other team's #1 WR is, talk about whether we need a "shutdown" guy like Revis isn't all that relevant. Having two solid, above average corners shouldn't have to be a luxury in the NFL, yet the Pats haven't had that for at least three seasons (I consider Hobbs below average).

I agree that about 6M per is about right for Bodden, but would think that more like 8M with roughly 3 years guaranteed would work too.

No, I wouldn't. I might pay him $8M under a transition tender for 1 season heading into a year we have 2 firsts and a lockout pending, but no way I guarantee him $24M. If I could get 6x4 I'd consider guaranteeing him $12 based on the liklihood he'd at least remain a 4x3...

Shutdown corners aren't irrelevant to Bill, just too costly to maintain. LCB is traditionally the #1 corner whether teams switch coverage or not because most QB's are right handed. Same as a LT is superior to a RT because he protects that right handed QB's blindside.

I think if the Polian emphasis hadn't been overemphasized as Periera acknowledged it was last week, Hobbs was an above average cover corner with superior added value as a supurb returner. Unfortunately his frame wasn't going to withstand the abuse he willingly subjected it to indefinitely.

Last edited:
I really like Bodden, but have to think his contract is tied to how well the two Ws are doing. If either looks like they can be a starter, then we probably won't pay Bodden enough. If not, pay the man's asking price.

I really like Bodden, but have to think his contract is tied to how well the two Ws are doing. If either looks like they can be a starter, then we probably won't pay Bodden enough. If not, pay the man's asking price.

i forgot where i read it but i saw that Bodden is asking for 5-8 mil a year.

i forgot where i read it but i saw that Bodden is asking for 5-8 mil a year.

If that's the case, then I hope the Pats sign him. That's not unreasonable.

There's a hell of a lot of territory between $5 million and $8 million.

Between $5-8M per year is a pretty bizarre range... And the other factor is signing bonus or guaranteed money and length of deal. If he wants $6.5M for 3-4 years they might be willing provided he isn't looking for more than half of it guaranteed. If he wants that much for 5-6 years with upwards of half of it guaranteed he's not gonna get it here. I'm glad he doesn't want Asante money though since even Asante isn't worth that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back