Welcome to PatsFans.com

Boston Cop Apologizes for Calling Gates a "Banana Eating Jungle Monkey" 4 Times

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Jul 30, 2009.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Boston officer's apparent racial slur may get him fired - CNN.com

[(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist. Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

Barrett used the "jungle monkey" phrase four times, three times referring to Gates and once referring to Abraham's writing as "jungle monkey gibberish." He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice towards people who are stupid]
    --------

The defense that these people give that they're not racist, like "my friends are [x minority]" or "I am married to [x minority]", doesn't really fly. While the Crowley-Gates incident wasn't a racially-motivated incident initially, I've found the supporters of Crowley oftentimes are blatant racists, like this guy Barrett.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Oh, that's choice.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +491 / 2 / -9

This moron deserves to lose his job, most Cops all over America won't even talk to their wives about the Gates
    Sh!t for fear of getting in trouble.

Stupidity At It's Finest
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The guy should have just done what many in Boston do, which is THINK it but not say it in direct ways.
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Now that he's gone Menino is now back at the #1 spot for stupidest Boston employee. :rocker:
  6. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Really? Is that what you do?
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Obviously sarcasm flies right over your head. You're too sophisticated.
  8. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

According to Darwin we are all "jungle monkey's"!
  9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Its a good thing Harry Boy didn't start this thread :singing: :singing: :singing:
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

The cop should be fired, Gates should be fired from Harvard both are racist, looks like Gates is a tax cheat too..
  11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Clearly. You can't have cops saying that stuff, you can't even have ones that think it as they're in a position to act on their feelings.

Instead, the media fawns over "Skip Gates".

We will never see racism end until both sides are held to the same standard - and that won't happen in our lifetime.
  12. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I'd argue the opposite. Mainstream national and Boston media has been mostly demonizing Gates and defending Crowley.

This recent Barrett 'jungle monkey' comment barely made any national news headlines.

There is a double standard, but it's opposite from what you think.
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Why is Gates racist, what racist thing did he say? Or, are you lumping him with other Blacks you are thinking of, simply because you see them as the same?

Why should he be fired? He acted like a dick in his own home and got arrested for it. Why should he be fired for that?
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

When I watch MSNBC and the like it's how I described. I guess "MSM" depends on the source.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

I base it on Gates History (previous statements) and his asumption that a white cop was treating him differently because he was black. Accusing the cop of asking him of ID because he was black.
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I guess so. I mostly just listen to news that I know is still conservatively biased, and it's been all about demonizing Gates and defending Crowley. There are even morons on these platforms defending Barrett.
  17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well, if we're going to be honest we have to admit that he first formed it as a question, not a statement.

I don't think Gates is a racist because racists assert the inferiority of some race. Nowhere does Gates assert that whitey is inferior. Acknowledging race is not racism. Drawing conclusions based on race is.
  18. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I don't think you're finding anybody say that the initial call and Crowley showing up was wrong. Gates was obviously wrong to immediately make it about race and get very confrontational, but at the same time, I don't see why you call him a racist for that.

If an Arab got super pissed at an airport security person for doing an extra search on him, would the Arab be the racist?
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I watch mostly Fox but I force myself to watch MSNBC and the like just to hear the other side. Chris Mathews is mostly focused on the Birth Certificate and demonizing Glenn Beck right now that obama isn't as popular as he was initially.
  20. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I can't stand Fox News. Those guys over there are so blatantly biased I can't stand more than a minute of it usually. It's also twisted how they adore Michelle Malkin so much. That woman is the ultimate Uncle Tom minority, saying some of the most self-racist and pandering material in her interviews and in her books. Unfortunately, it's the only kind of minority that a lot of Fox News watchers will accept. Malkin, or maybe Condoleeza... basically, the kind of pandering minorities that Dave Chappelle made fun of in his Chappelle Show skits.