Welcome to PatsFans.com

Boston city workers cash in millions on buybacks

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

The system is broken. Very broken.

Boston city workers cash in millions on buybacks

Unused vacation, sick time nets three $100G

By Joe Dwinell
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 - Updated 1m ago

A cash-starved Boston dished out a staggering $17 million last year to more than 3,600 city workers for their unused sick and vacation days in a pricey perk that stands in sharp contrast to impending layoffs and threatened cutbacks in crucial services.

Three retiring municipal employees raked in more than $100,000 each for their unused time off, a Herald payroll analysis shows, while another 300 staffers pocketed tens of thousands in buybacks on top of their salaries.

Boston city workers cash in millions on buybacks - BostonHerald.com

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The Hub payroll - hovering at $1.3 billion - includes some 2,724 employees who pulled in salaries of $100,000 or more last year.

More than 1,500 of those six-figure earners were cops cashing in big on overtime.

Just a thought - but sometimes, maybe even most times, it is more cost-effective to pay overtime than it is to hire new employees. Not only do you get ready-made experience you also do not have to pay for the training, health insurance, workerman's comp. insurance, life insurance, pension planning, state and federal taxes, background checks on new employees, innoculations for new employees, etc. etc. etc. that goes along with each employee hired.

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

Workmans comp is based on payroll. Higher payroll, higher premium. Aside from that, what does all that overtime do to a person who is entrusted with the publics safety? Working 60 hours a week, on top of the details they do, can't be good for their quality of service on the job. A cop making $271k? WTF is that!?! What's the odds that he's performing at a high level, when he's at work? I'd say slim to none.

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

I think (and I pray) that we'll see a sweeping movement across the country over the next 5 years that will cut back on over-paying/benefitting the public sector.

Citizens can't afford and are no longer willing to pay for such extravagances these employees receive. My pet peeve is someone who is collecting a pension at age 40-45 AND working full time somewhere else!

The public is becoming enfuriated by data such as you've posted. It's not my opinion, but a fact that we can no longer afford to use our tax dollars to provide public servants with these kinds of salaries & benefits.

Meanwhile...I should be getting my bonus soon.:D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The beginning salary for a cop in Boston is $46,000 yearly.

Here's a breakdown of some other jobs in Boston and what their pay scale is:

Web Content Administrator
    ($63,085)
    Graphic Designer
    ($60,310)
    Web Administrator
    ($88,527)
    e-Commerce Business Analyst
    ($94,720)
    Administrative Assistant
    ($54,413)
    Web Developer
    ($92,200)
    Database Administrator
    ($106,171)
    Registered Nurse
    ($93,030)
    Customer Service Manager
    ($95,313)
    Mechanical Engineer
    ($94,566)

Local salary data for Boston Massachusetts

It barely keeps pace, does it? Especially considering the risks a cop takes and the high stress he endures daily.

Lower the pay scale much more and/or take away their benefits and you're not going to find a whole lot of people willing to take the job - especially when they figure out that can make twice as much being a "Customer Service Manager" - whatever that is.

Congratulations on that bonus.

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

Thank you!

Regardless of what you posted, there is a growing trend around this nation to stop pension plans and cut public employee budgets...and it's about time.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/01/massive-taxpayer-backlash-over-pension.html

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/05/4820-california-govt-workers-collect.html

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/01/illinois-careens-towards-bankruptcy.html

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/12/beware-taxpayer-bailout-of-underfunded.html

This country doesn't just have a revenue problem, we have a SPENDING issue as well.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

That's what the core cause of the Tea Party movement is all about PR. Forget the fringies that are trying to impose their will, destroy, or profit off of it's infancy, and growing power. It's fundamental principle is runaway government.

8. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I can't believe a Librarian made $171,000.

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

If they stay pure to that single objective, then I'd support them. If they join forces with ultra-conservatives, I won't. Keep the religious nuts out, that would be my greatest concern (i.e. if they take on an anti abortion or Christian mantra). And don't let them get seduced by a pro-corp. America agenda either.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

I agree. I think there will be attempts by some to move it one way, or another. That's just the way something like this will go. There is power there, and be it by greed, passion, stupidity, or sabotage, some entity will try to shape that. To me, the general purpose of the movement is to shrink government, which has always been a huge issue for me personally.

11. Bigdogx

Bigdogx On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Absolutely amazing, 6 figures for a janitor.:bricks:

12. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

She's just the President of the library system, she isn't really a librarian.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

She's not just a "librarian." She's the president of the entire system and she's responsible for a circulation of 2.8 million books per year. She also oversees the local history centers in eight branch libraries, homework assistance programs in all branches, the expansion of a higher-education information program to four branches, and the development of a collection preservation program.

You're right, though, maybe they ought to give her $18.50 an hour instead.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

$171k is just her salary. Imagine what her total package is when it's all added up, especially the pension she/he is likely to get. People just don't get it. They don't understand the math involved. Unsustainable is a term a lot of people need a better grasp of.

15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

"Double Dipping" should be banned, whether it's a state retirement, military retirement, social security or whatever. If you're working then you're not retired. If you're collecting a "retirement" you're not working. Seems fairly obvious to me.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

BINGO!!!!!!!!

We have a winner folks!

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

A fellow member at a club I belong to, is retiring from the MBTA this year. He's in his early 40's. He got into the MBTA when he was out of HS I think, and his 23 years (for retirement) are done in a few months. Imagine, 23 years and full retirement. So now he's slated to recieve a pension that equals the average of his top 3 years of earnings. Since he was an inspector, I'm going to guess that he makes in the $80k's per, since that is the ceiling for his position right now. So when he retires, we'll be paying him $80k per year at age 44, until he dies. Nice! Oh, did I mention that he's looking for another job with the state somewhere? Yup. I ask him all the time, cuz I break his balls about what a joke the system is, and he's seriously going to try to get another job with the state, so he can double dip. Of course, when I tell him that this system is the reason why the gubmit is broke, and taxes go up, he says "nah, whata'u crazee".

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

What's the difference between this d-bag (no offense) and some umbrella package given to a ceo? NO difference and maybe even worse because there are millions just like him double-dipping on OUR dollar.

We have got to find a way to cut them off at the balls. We can blame the unions for this tragedy. Why people defend them is beyond me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  19. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

The double dip is more frightening. Because it's less transparent to the average person. It will go on unnoticed mostly, accumulating a greater debt toll on society as a whole.

20. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My friend's an RN, has her BSN and is a Certified Critical Care Nurse, Director of a Neurosurgical ICU. She makes 125K.