PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boston/Chicago Cup series - Revenge for '86?

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
(I know there's a very fine Hockey sub-forum, but there's a Patriots connection and the Tebow talk is killing me..)

Interesting factoid I heard today:

The cities of Boston and Chicago have only faced each other twice in a championship game/series in the history of professional sports.

The 1918 World Series (Red Sox won, 4 games to 2), and

Super Bowl XX (the result still too painful to talk about).

So, this year's Stanley Cup Finals is a rubber match of sorts.

And a unique chance to vanquish the Windy City's best sports team, exact some revenge, and make every barroom sports feud about which city is the better sports town easier for our side for the rest of time!

So Patsfans! Watch some hockey tonight! Not much better than Stanley Cup Finals hockey anyway IMHO. I know I've got some extra motivation to root hard for our gritty Boston Bruins this year. Who's with me? :rocker:

I'm with you, though I wish that LA had extended the BHs by another game or 2.
An equally-rested Hawks team will be nearly impossible to beat.

should be a great series...go B's!!!

3 overtimes and the game is decided on a deflection of a tipped shot...that hurts...

3 overtimes and the game is decided on a deflection of a tipped shot...that hurts...

it hurts, it should also piss the bruins players off when they wake up tmrw...i hope

we had so many CLOSE chances

Blowing a 2 goal lead TWICE up 2-0 and 3-1 (with 85%+ played) is a very tough way to lose this game.

To add insult to injury, going into 3 OT to do so only makes it worse.

Luckily there are 3 days in between games 1-2, so that will help. This team needs to go back to playing on their terms, limiting the number of shots on goal, and playing with hustle and passion.

There were way too many chances where the "layer of defense" method that worked so well in the Pens series was nowhere to be found. Tons of wide open guys camped out in front of the net, and way too many shots allowed from a team who is capable of filling the net.

If they can get back to the basics and what worked vs PIT, they have a chance to steal game 2, split 1-1 in CHI, and head home where 3 of the next 4 will be played. Saturday's game is now enormous.

They had it won in regulation and then a dumb turnover and lucky bounce did them in. No excuse for that play from Krug that swung momentum and the tying goal was crap luck. We got all the bounces last series and got none last night, we had the game ended goal in OT 4-5 times last night and couldn't put it home. Need to win at least one in Chicago and last night should have been the game.

I was born a year later so I wasn't there for it, but did anyone here actually think that the Pats were going to beat the Bears in that game? It would seem that the team in the AFC most equipped to beat the Bears that year (because they had been the only team to beat them, and torched them in the process) lost to the Pats in the AFC Championship.

That flub by Daugavins is one of the worst plays I've seen in some time. Just inexcusable.

That flub by Daugavins is one of the worst plays I've seen in some time. Just inexcusable.

No kidding. Kid is a friggin healthy scratch half the season and he tries to make a move like he's Mario Lemiuex. Just put the damn puck on net, if he saves it he saves it.

I was born a year later so I wasn't there for it, but did anyone here actually think that the Pats were going to beat the Bears in that game? It would seem that the team in the AFC most equipped to beat the Bears that year (because they had been the only team to beat them, and torched them in the process) lost to the Pats in the AFC Championship.

No one was beating Da Bears and everyone knew it. They're only lying to you and themselves if they claim otherwise. I was just happy to see them beat Marino and the Phins in the Orange Bowl. For a brief second when the Pats recovered the fumble in the opening minutes I tried convincing myself that they might have a chance....and well, you know the rest of that story:bricks:.

As far as I can tell the blackhawks are who we thought they were. We played them 3 ots, who the hell plays the 3rd OT like it's bull****? They are who we thought they were and we let em off the hook. B's in
images

I would say that everything you've stated is definitely spot on. You're right about who the best matchup was based on the outcome of the MNF game (in MIA for what it's worth) where the fins beat the bears that year.

You're also very right that 9/10 people definitely expected CHI to win SB 20.

I was only 11 at the time but I do remember it well. It was a great moment for the cinderella Pats, who were the first team to win every game on the road from the WC spot and go to the SB. The 2005 Steelers were the first team to win it all from the 6th WC seed.

No one was beating Da Bears and everyone knew it. They're only lying to you and themselves if they claim otherwise.

We were up 3-0. I thought we were on our way!

Then Lin Dawson (I think) twisted his knee and we were toast.

That's all I remember. I was in college at the time, so it' murky.

It would seem that the team in the AFC most equipped to beat the Bears that year (because they had been the only team to beat them, and torched them in the process) lost to the Pats in the AFC Championship.

Yeah, right!!
jester.gif

1 ~ The Bears played almost the entire Game without their starting QuarterBack.

2 ~ The Fish therefore faced Steve Fuller, who had 3 TouchDowns & 7 Interceptions left in'is illustrious Career.

3 ~ And please note: The Patriots didn't slip by Miami ~ we demolished them.

4 ~ And when we demolished them ~ by a greater margin than the Fish beat the Bears back up QuarterBack by during the regular Season, by the way ~ it was Marino himself who we destroyed.

5 ~ And we did so in Miami, our erstwhile House of Horrors, in front of their home crowd.

6 ~ And it would be 5 long Years before Marino and the Fish would manage a winning Record.

Why??

Because we broke them, that Day.

We solved them.

And the rest of the League was watching.

So much for the Fish being The Team To Beat The Bears. :rolleyes:

If we did that to the Fish in Miami...what do you suppose a fully healthy Bear team would've done with Jim McMahon leading them for the entire Game at a neutral Site?? :eek:

It would've been a Slaughter, my friend.

An epic Slaughter.

89-3 feels about right.

Don't believe the sewage that's flowed through the pipes since then, Brother Kontra.

Any suggestion that the Fish would've had a Prayer is drooling, slobbering Insanity.

4 ~ And when we demolished them ~ by a greater margin than the Fish beat the Bears back up QuarterBack by during the regular Season, by the way ~ it was Marino himself who we destroyed.

5 ~ And we did so in Miami, our erstwhile House of Horrors, in front of their home crowd.

6 ~ And it would be 5 long Years before Marino and the Fish would manage a winning Record.

Why??

Because we broke them, that Day.

Thanks OTG for reminding me of this glorious game, for me one of the best in Patriots history and the day we rose from the ashes to legitimacy in the NFL. Sadly, I was there a couple weeks later for for the demolition in New Orleans. Only the die-hard Pats fans held out a punchers chance. As it turned out, da Bears were not to be beaten that day. But despite the roller coaster ride that followed, there was a lasting new found hope for a changing of the guard in the AFC east.

Thanks OTG for reminding me of this glorious game, for me one of the best in Patriots history and the day we rose from the ashes to legitimacy in the NFL. Sadly, I was there a couple weeks later for for the demolition in New Orleans. Only the die-hard Pats fans held out a punchers chance. As it turned out, da Bears were not to be beaten that day. But despite the roller coaster ride that followed, there was a lasting new found hope for a changing of the guard in the AFC east.

Well Said, Sir!! :rocker:

Despite the spectacular ZoomSplat ending, it was a magical Journey, that Year!! :D

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back