Welcome to PatsFans.com

Boston Bomb Scare: Advertising Hoax

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 31, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think all the parties involved should be forced to pay civil restitution. Of course, you can't squeeze water from a stone so it is easy to take the default stance and go after the corporation than the starving artists, and I am sure that is what the local pols will do.

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There's also something called qualified immunity. They were agents of a company that should have gone through the process of getting permits, the responsibility to get permits doesn't necessarily transfer to them because the company failed to do it. The company assured them that what they were doing was legal.

It's like if a store is breaking the law by not displaying their prices, you don't hold the individual employees responsible.

3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't be so foolishly naive. These guys knew that what they were doing wasn't exactly on record with city hall. They were sneaking around the city at all hours of the night putting up LED-screens on whatever overpass they happen to be standing by when the fatty burnt out... so please don't insult us all by suggesting they thought the entire thing was registered with the local urban planning and commerce departments. As we are learning, such LED-screens have become a new form of urban graffiti (which some consider to be artwork).

Now I will be the first to say they never intended to cause panic amongst the citizenry, but they cannot possibly be so stupid as to think all the necessary permits and documentation was all filled out and filed with the proper authorities.

4. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So charge them with graffiti, give them their $50 fine or whatever, and be done with it. The "hoax device" statute requires intent. End of story. That's why the judge was so skeptical. Their next hearing is in early March and that'll be the end of that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I don't think people overreacted, you do. I think the authorities did exactly what they should have. Were they bombs, even though we all know they weren't, should they have treated it any differently?

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I couldn't agree more. These asswipes are accountable for what they did. Should they do hard time in Walpole? Of course not, but they should get more than a $50 fine.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I know they're your friends, but to not punish these clowns would be a travesty of justice. That's the problem with this F'ing country. People do incredibly ridiculous things, and they are never held accountable for them. Everyone passes the buck. You mention graffiti. Here in Chelsea, there is a massive problem with graffiti. Some savage primitives have tagged half the houses & cars on my street. To think that it's "only" graffiti is messed up. These loser kids should be punished so they never do it again. The guy at the corner spent tens of thousands of dollars on new vynl siding and stucco for his home, and a week later, he's got MS-13 trash tagged all over the place. I just can't understand why people look at crap like this with such an accepting mentallity. By not punishing people who do these stupid acts, you only encourage more people to do the same. These idiots, and that's what they were, idiots, just fugged up a city at the cost of millions of dollars, and people are excusing them because they can blame a corporation. To me, all parties involved are to blame. Just cuz someone pays you to do something, it doesn't mean you are obsolved of all responsibility.

8. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

In all honosty, I don't think they should get charged at all. They put these things in 11 other cities, and they were there for at least a week.

Boston is the only one to react - a week later.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Meaning what exactly? So I guess the statute of limitations on unlawful behavior is a week, and not getting caught in 11 other cities?

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, but we're not quite "done with it" when only a $50 fine has been levied. You said the company should pay the $1 million (estimate) expense for all the additional security. All I am saying is that the company should not be held solely liable and that the individuals should be significantly fined as well - but, as I admitted, it will be pointless to try and squeeze water from those two stoners.

11. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

What is unlawful about putting up advertisements? A cartoon giving the bird is hardly cause for a terror alert. At first, when I first heard this on the news, I got worried; I don't want to see another large scale terrorist attack in our homeland as long as I live (as inevitable as it is), but when I heard and saw that it was only a cartoon flicking people off... I had to laugh.

12. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, Real World, you don't come off as bright as you think you are when you talk in generalities, but pretend you're talking specifics. What should they be charged with? Litering? Graffiti? Terrorism? Or something in between. Specifics only, please.

As it stands, they were charged with something that the judge isn't swallowing, so they better find a better charge quickly or they're not even going to get a $50 fine.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Just got home from work.

First: Great job on the guys deploying and reacting to the initial potential threat - that's exactly what it was.

That being said, the second the leaders of the response found out it was not a threat, they could have and should have stood down and done a more small-scale response and let the situation die down.

Not only will these kids and Turner win in court defending themselves from the grand-standing jerks that represent Boston official-DUMB, but I bet they counter-sue for violation of Constitutional Rights and win. They deserve it, not because they're good people (they appear to be complete losers and nut-jobs to me) but because the government needs to be put back in their place and know their limits. Their worst crime was misdemeanor defacing of public property - about equivalent to grafitti.

Al Queda and the rest of the world are laughing their arses off at us here in New England and it's embarrassing as hell.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  14. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Was waiting for this. The left want troops to die, while the right want a devastating terrorist attack in a big city. Both are ridiculously unfounded statements.

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

he's got lots of them... and yet he calls other people "agenda" driven...

talk about the butt calling the feet smelly...

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Yeah, it was so funny. It was a million dollar joke to the city. Of course, who knows how much it cost everybody else. What about people who lost business, or couldn't finish any? Truckers, drivers, people who couldn't got to work? Sure, after the fact it was a joke, when you knew it wasn't a bomb.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

The judge? They're lucky they did this in Massachusetts. In this state transexuals can sexually assault a 12 year old with a weapon and not get time.

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Statements you and your ilk believe. Remember, some people believe GW went to Iraq cuz "he tried to kill my daddy". People are dumb. Don't blame me for that.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

What was so inaccurate about what I said Agenda Boy? Do you beleive people don't want American GI's to die so GW can loose his war? Do you not think that there are retards who also hope we get hit again so they can further there cause? Did I say that there were alot of these types? Nope. I said they existed. Afterall, we have a guy in here who hoped children were molested so his party could exploit it for political gain.

20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It became a joke when the police learned that these were not bombs (after the first one or two or three). The police reacted properly and very admirably at first, but after that, the police command, the mayor, and the governor acted like idiots and embarrassed the Commonwealth. We will end up paying for this when the lawsuits start being settled. This could have gone very differently if the government security apparatus had just let this die quietly. There were no laws broken. Not threats were made and no hoax occurred. The majority of the disruption was due to the over-reaching actions of the leadership eager to plaster themselves all over the media. It was embarrassing.