Welcome to PatsFans.com

Boston: 1,948 city workers earn over $100,000

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +663 / 7 / -2

Gross.

Home / News / Local

1,948 city workers earn over $100,000

8% increase from '06 driven by police and fire overtime

By Donovan Slack
    Globe Staff / March 12, 2008

The ranks of Boston city employees earning more than $100,000 a year swelled 8 percent last year, reflecting the city's continued heavy reliance on overtime to staff police and fire services. A total of 1,948 city workers took home six-figure pay in 2007, up from 1,795 in 2006.

The size of the city payroll also grew last year by 194 employees to 8,663, 183 of those in the police and fire departments. The overall payroll, not including public schools, grew by 5 percent, according to 2007 payroll records released yesterday.

A nonprofit fiscal group sounded a note of caution yesterday, saying that the city cannot afford to continue increasing payroll costs so steeply. Samuel R. Tyler, president of the Boston Municipal Research Bureau, said that cities and towns are strapped and that Boston needs to keep a tighter hold on its purse strings.

"This trend has to be of concern," said Tyler, whose research last year showed city employee earnings had climbed by 15 percent over three years. "Our concern is that this cost is just unsustainable. This is sort of the opposite direction of what we're seeing in the private sector."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/03/12/1948_city_workers_earn_over_100000/

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I don't know the answer, thus I am asking: Do we pay our troops overtime?

3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah but the cops and meter maids actually pay for themselves and turn a profit. The waddling douche who gave me a ticket for parking in a loading zone at 9:00PM last night more than covered her pay plus overtime in the 3 minutes it took her to write me a $55.00 dollar ticket.

It wouldn't be so bad if the store the loading zone was associated with hadn't been closed and locked up tight for 2 hours by then.

4. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Troops get compensated in differrent ways....

Example:

1. $250.00/month in family sep pay
    2. 150ish+ /month in hazardous duty pay/Imminent Danger Pay
    3. Federal Tax exemption while in war zone

The hours put in in Iraq/Afghanistan.....easily 70hrs+ a week....are not compensated even close to the city workers getting overtime. Average Soldier. I have read that the average "xtra" pay is someething like 7.50 a day or so. (...does not include family separation pay etc).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

ridiculous, i hate government overspending

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Thanks playa!

See that is where my biggest problem is! Although I disagree with the war, the reasoning we got into it ...blahbla...the real americans who suffer are our troops. They get shatt-on when they are there, come home and get shatt-on by the lack of care, then get sent back to be shatt-on, for an unprecidented TRIPPLE-SHATT, sometimes QUAD-SHATT and upwards.

I just shatt-on this thread by making it about our troops, my bad....

I'm okay with paying for cops and firefighters. but $100,000!.....thats a lot of OT. A company that runs like that, runs out of biz.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +663 / 7 / -2

Not according to PAtters. He thinks that the government is run no different than a private business, or something along those lines. Obi would probably remember what he said better than I can. At any rate, this is why I try to explain to people that union or worker contracts, executive experience, & gross inefficiency are so important. We need to elect people that have a clue, and are principled. When a union stands up and strikes for more pay, that pay is compounding. It's not that people don't want to pay teachers, firefighters, police, etc. it's that we have to be sensible about it. When you agree to pay them $50k with a 4% increase over X years, the end total when X is over, is where you will be starting from the next time around. Also, that 4% will be 5%, since everyone wants more. In the end it's you and I that pay. The average salary of a city cop is $82,000. That's salary, not total cost. Add in the benefits, training, and equipment, and tell me what a cop costs the city? Want to add 100 cops, well do the math. I don't mean to rail on those professions only. Look at the Big Dig and gross waste there is there. Look at Massport, the MBTA, and the governors office who increased his staff payroll by 30+% from the last administration, to over $4 million. GROSS. That's why tolls go up, taxes go up, fees go up, and people leave.