PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges taking Solomon down with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Its truly amazing how Borges still has a job. I found at least two pieces of incorrect info in this article.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/09/patriots_cut_ties_with_mcginest/

The first is this:
Wrong BOGUS said:
The team's remaining list of unrestricted free agents includes: Brown, tackle Tom Ashworth, receiver Tim Dwight, tight end Christian Fauria, linebackers Don Davis and Matt Chatham, and running back Heath Evans.

Don Davis was re-signed 2 weeks ago.

The other piece (which is more glaring) is this:
Wrong BOGUS said:
While kickers don't carry nearly as much value as position players -- Tom Brady received more in a roster bonus this month ($12 million) than Vinatieri has made in his entire 10-year career -- Vinatieri is considered to be among the most valuable of the available free agents.

Brady did not receive a 12 million roster bonus this month. Also, I am pretty sure that Vinatieri has made more than any other kicker has made. While it may not be 12 million, its close to 10.

Brady is scheduled for $12 option bonus payment his month. Whether he has actually received it or not, I don't know.

hwc said:
Brady is scheduled for $12 option bonus payment his month. Whether he has actually received it or not, I don't know.

HWC -
Actually, he's NOT scheduled for a $12 million option bonus payment this month. A DECISION on the OPTION bonus is due this month.

Here is the info from Miguel's page:

Miguel said:
The Patriots have to give Brady written notice on or before the third day of the '06 season that they're picking up the $12 million option bonus for that season. Brady would receive $5.5 million on or before July 15, 2006, and the remaining $6.5 million on or before July 15, 2007.

And an option bonus is significantly different than a roster bonus. As you know already. The option bonus can be amortized over the length of the contract. The Roster bonus hits the cap all at once.

I read that as well..and wondered who was keeping signing info from him....he also did not mention starter Neal with that who might be one of the most athletic linemen around...So Davis...not mentioing Neal and this bonus thing...but it's the norm now...unfortunately.

Unfortunately they hired Solomon before they noticed Reiss and scooped him for essentially blog duty. Then again, mikey laments reporters who lack personality and dwell on boring and mundane facts.

Can't please everyone. Borges/Solomon is obviously invoking poetic license to make a relative comparison. His figures in his example are a tad off (could have used the $14.5M signing bonus of 2005 analogy just as easily) but his point is a valid one.

BTW I don't recall what Janakowski got as a rookie (wasn't he a first rounder), but his second deal was for the current top long term contract value of $10.5M. The tag for kickers this year based on top 5 was $2.5 ish, which means some guys are making that on a regular basis. Ditto the transition, which is top ten based, was over $2M. Rackers got a $3M signing bonus last year and Akers got a $2M late in the season extension signing bonus. Adam wasn't really making the big bucks until fairly recently, so I'd be reluctant to made a blanket statement that he's made more than any kicker - especially in the midst of criticizing others for making incorrect statements - unless I did the reaearch to back it up. And in this somewhat nit picking instance it ain't worth the effort IMO.

DaBruinz said:
Its truly amazing how Borges still has a job. I found at least two pieces of incorrect info in this article.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/09/patriots_cut_ties_with_mcginest/

Wrong BOGUS said:
The team's remaining list of unrestricted free agents includes: Brown, tackle Tom Ashworth, receiver Tim Dwight, tight end Christian Fauria, linebackers Don Davis and Matt Chatham, and running back Heath Evans.

The first is this:

Don Davis was re-signed 2 weeks ago.

Damn straight. It has been some 30 days since Davis' re-signing. You'd think someone at the Globe would notice.

You'd also think they'd notice the fact that Michael Stone, Chad Scott, Steven Neal, David Givens, Doug Flutie, and Andre' Davis are free agents.

Talk about batting .500...

Borges loves to make ridiculous comparisons when it comes to Patriots deals, i.e. Brady and Vinatieri's money. You notice he never makes similar comparisons to, say, Manning and Vandershank. It's all because he still hates BB and Kraft for jettisoning his butt-boy Bledsoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes