PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges Shot At Ainge

scout

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Most of everyone in here will agree this guy is an idiot. I linked the article of a few days ago where he continuously calls out "Danny Ainge". Even if you do not like Ainge, I don't see how you enjoy the article. Here's the bottom line Ron. Ainge brought in the big three and won a championship, period. They would have won two had Perkins not injured himself. IMO, he just put himself in Skip Bayless's class, congratulations.

Danny Ainge’s shot comes after buzzer - BostonHerald.com

Ainge did a good job of putting the team together and winning a championship. That said, the Perkins trade was inexplicably horrible and he kept the Big 3 together for too long and has now missed the boat on several potential trades and acquisitions. While you have to give him credit for putting that team together, you also have to credit him with allowing the Celtics to potentially fall completely apart after Garnett and company depart.

Most people saw the flaws with the Celtics after the Lakers won the Championship. The Celtics held on too long in hope. Now, that hope has come home to roost.

Danny's going to need to pull out some miracle GM work in the coming seasons to rebuild the Celtics.

Ainge pulled the trigger. When all of us were saying, WTF on the Ray Allan trade, he was putting together a championship team. What was it, 17 years? He brought a championship to Boston! He would have two had Perkins not been injured. We do not know what he could have gotten for any of the big three. Heck, last year some fans wanted BB head. Isn't there a song, "you don't what you have till its gone". The article sucked.

Trading Perkins, Davis and Nate Washington during a season where the another title was there for the taking was as inexcusable then as it is now. Ainge should be long gone--I don't care what he did in 2009.

People can't have it both ways. They can't say he held on too long, and at the same time criticize him for trading Perkins. He traded Perkins because he was trying to aquire a player he felt would help them as the aging Big 3 moved on. He viewed Jeff Green as one of the peices to pair with Rondo moving forward. Perkins was a free agent at the end of that year and wanted $8-10 million per. I loved Perk as much as the next guy but I'm not sure I sign him for that much money, considering the cap space plan that was in place for this season. With Green they weren't locked into money long term, so they could resign him, trade his rights, or walk away if someone better came along. I didn't like the trade that year, but I understood why Ainge made it. Or at least what his intention was.

This team, and it's fans, knew full well that this was a 3 year plan when those major trades were made. I think we're in year 5 now, so what you see is the price you pay for bringing some aging vets together for a run at a championship. Had we gotten the 2nd pick instead of the 5th pick in that 2007 season, we'd be without a championship, but with a dude named Kevin Durant. Since the balls didn't bounce our way (I smashed my wall when we got the 5th pick, and I'll never forget the look on the deputy commissioners face when he looked at the card), I'd say we did well considering. Ainge did a good job winning a championship. Now we're stuck trying to figure out where we go from here. Suck and hope for a franchise player via a lottery pick, trade whatever u can for mediocre to marginal talent (and end up like the Buck, Portland, Atlanta...), or take our chances this offseason and pray we sign a marquee free agent. Personally, I'd trade whatever I could for assets, see if I can sign a good free agent, and if not, save my caps space with a start over around Rondo.

Watch Adam Silvers eyebrows around the 4:53 mark as he opens the card to announce the 5th pick. As soon as I saw that I screamed fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!! and smashed a hole in my wall. I'll never forget it. I wanted Oden or Durant. Ainge supposedly was talking Durant #1 overall if we got the #1 pick. What a shame that night. Little did we know that our pain that night would be healed by a 17th championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ2NUBbti1w

Last edited:
Being a sports fan and putting your opinion on a discussion board is a dream job.
You get to voice your opinion about selecting your can't miss draft pick, or the college player under the radar. When the team chooses to go in another direction and the guy turns all-pro you scream bloody murder. Dream job: we never get to see all your other selections.
You voice your displeasure at the free agent signings and trades Theo made for the Sox. You wished him well as he departed for the Cubs. The guy brought a World Championship to the Sox after an 86 year void by trading away one of the most liked players in Sox history. He traded this starter for a couple of back-ups and won a World Championship. But hey, what have you done for me lately?
Bingo on Real World's post. You never deal with the consequences. He should have, he did, and the outcome did not go as planned. Anything less then a WC title for the Celtics, Pats, Lakers, or NY Yankees, is somewhat a failure. The Patriots are in the midst of one of the greatest runs in the history of the NFL. BB will always be a loss away from fans calling for his head.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back